Is a 50cc saw powerful enough to cut good sized firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simple Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm just curious if the Husky 346 has enough power to get the job done cutting hardwood up to 20"

20" is pushing it. But, I cut firewood for a few years with a 50cc saw. Not near as fun as laying into big wood with a 70+saw. WDO

There's only one problem with your thought. It will get you by till the (I need another chainsaw) fever kicks in. Then you will start to thinking a 72cc or a larger saw would really be nice. Then you find a good deal on another you dont need, but you can't pass up a deal like that. 3 or 4 years pass by and 27 saws later you wander why you even asked this question to begin with. Does that sound about right to everyone?

You would be surprised at the number of people who simply don't know any better that are happily cutting with 50cc and smaller saws.

Are they ideal for 20" wood? Certainly not, but if you're not in a hurry and don't mind workin' the equipment hard...

i dunno the specs would make one inclined to think the 346 pulling 20" rsc would be just fine.

20" is pushing it. But, I cut firewood for a few years with a 50cc saw. Not near as fun as laying into big wood with a 70+saw. WDO

Same deal here. I heated my house for 2 years with just my 026 Pro. Then came the 034, (that was my big saw at the time, lol), then came the 441, then came the 7900, then came ....................

Well I already have the 359 for the bigger stuff, I just wanted the 346 for the smaller stuff and to have a saw that is so light and easy to use. Would I be better off with a Husky smaller than the 346?

Well I already have the 359 for the bigger stuff, I just wanted the 346 for the smaller stuff and to have a saw that is so light and easy to use. Would I be better off with a Husky smaller than the 346?

if you want a 346, maybe you shoulda held off on the 359.
but hey, ya can't have too many.
346/372 seems a good combo to me.

get a used 026 260 and save alot of cash compared to the 346. mine runns very well atleast i think, its right there with the 310 in small wood.

If you have a 359 than you can judge for yourself what you might need... A husky 359 will cut your 20'' and under firewood well. I would rather run a 359 on 6'' and up hardwood rather than a 50cc saw,346xp,ms260,dolmar 5100, IMO. 50cc saws are good as a backup small thinning,limbing just in case saw to me. I rather buck firewood with my ms361 than my 026 for anything over 6'' but I do like my 026 for certain jobs!!!

Honestly I've cut plenty of decent sized hardwoods with a Husky 55, it's slow but it gets it done just the same. I think with a sharp chain, clean air filter, good synthetic etc it's not too hard on the saw as long as you don't dog it and just let it cut at it's own pace. A bigger saw is unquestionably faster, less work, and better in every way of course.:givebeer:

I'm just curious if the Husky 346 has enough power to get the job done cutting hardwood up to 20"

It will work, it won't be fast, you may have to back off on the cut a bit, but you will get it done. You probably won't be spending enough time in big stuff to make the difference. If you don't have the saw yet, I'd be thinking a 60cc which is a better "all arounder". But, 50 will work. Like someone said, there are a lot of guys with 50cc saws doing that all day and not knowing the difference.

While there are a lot of guys on here who are real smart about saws, just about every one of them is a powerhungry madman. I plead guilty. With a 20inch log, I'd break out the 066 with a 25" bar. For a 15" log, the 372, maybe, but very likely the 066 with a 25" bar. When I had to cut up some 4" landscape timbers, I pulled out the old Homie 150, slid it over and brought out the 066 with a 16" bar. (Really, had a collection of crappy 16" safety chain and a crappy bar for the Stihl, but a nice bar on the 150). Notice a trend?

Mark

Bore cut IF you can, it seems to make things a little easier if you're cutting with a 50cc saw on that big of wood. At least it works pretty fair with the Dolmar 5100.

But like it's been stated, it's going to take a bit of time compared to more displacement.

Rick

My 51 Special & 55 both wear narrow kerf 20's...don't overlook narrow kerf for your small saws...the difference in cutting speed and load on the saw is considerable. Bailey's has combos they nearly give away.

I start with the 372 and get the big stuff out of the way. It's loud and heavy and wears on me after a couple of hours...

Then I grab a small, light, quiet saw and do the rest of the work...it's like starting the day anew. And folks around the valley are happy as well...I'm sure. That muff-mod big-bore 372 is one loud mutha'....

If you already have a 359 the 346 will cut about the same just go for the 372 and be done with it that should cut the 20 inch stuff. Let the chips fly. I had an 029 then a 359 sold the 359 for a 372 then sold the 029 for a 346. Now I could not be more sure I need a 395. Its a disease I can stop. My name is Bill and I am a sawaholic.

:greenchainsaw:

got curious so i went out and dogged the 026 into a 34" cookie. i dogged right around cutn the full lenght of the 18 bar thrown big chips. iid think wearn 20" bar it could mange making me happy cutting 20" wood. i think 18" and smaller wood this thing will buck pretty quick. im kinda pleased so far. i cant wait to get up there and see how many cord i can pull out at a time. im thinkn 4-6 cored maybe more

Latest posts

Back