Is a 50cc saw powerful enough to cut good sized firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good thread. I think with the 359 its had to match up with the "perfect Pair" plan. I read another members two saw plan of 346XP & 372XP and its sounding pretty good now. If you keep your feet on the ground there is no need for a third saw.
ZG

Well I already have the 359 for the bigger stuff, I just wanted the 346 for the smaller stuff and to have a saw that is so light and easy to use. Would I be better off with a Husky smaller than the 346?

Nope, just put a smaller bar on it for 'small saw' work. Two saws of that size, one with a 16" and the other with a 20-22" will do good work on firewood.

But of course you really wiil NEED a bigger saw some day. I recommend sometime the wif/girlfirend's out of town . . . .:)

-WSJ

i see no problem

50 cc with a18 bar and full chisel chain with the riders lowered a few thous, will do lots of work:clap: a sharp chain on a saw is more important then cc. a dull saw just has to work harder then a sharp saw:givebeer:
:greenchainsaw:

You know you want it so just get with a 16" bar and put a 24" on the 359 and be done with it. (for now):)

The 359 is a tweener. It's in between a saw for big wood and small wood. To me it's a jack of all trades but a master of none. I still consider mine a good saw though.

I kept my 359 and bought a 372 and a Makita 401. The 359 can work as a backup for both but it doesn't get used a whole lot anymore. I'm hoping to replace the 401 soon with a 346.

Good luck on your decision.

:jawdrop: I have an older Husky 346xp that I used to test on a fir 18" log last fall at home. Saw has an 18" bar .325This saw is 45 or 46cc. I was so impressed with the performance of my saw that I could imagine what a 346xp with 50cc would do in the same log. That 50cc saw would cut 18 -20" logs all day long as long as you maintain the chain and saw correctly. Larger log can be cut from both sides until the log narrows down and then you will make up your cutting time. Anyone who owns a 346xp (either displacement) will not easily give it up......:hmm3grin2orange:

It will get the job done, it just wont be as fast as a bigger saw.
Ive got a 50cc Echo that will cut through 20" hardwood all day long.

The 359 is a tweener. It's in between a saw for big wood and small wood. To me it's a jack of all trades but a master of none. I still consider mine a good saw though.

I kept my 359 and bought a 372 and a Makita 401. The 359 can work as a backup for both but it doesn't get used a whole lot anymore. I'm hoping to replace the 401 soon with a 346.

Good luck on your decision.
Yes the 60cc saw is the jack of all trades for me too, I used a 3.7 Eager Beaver for years still take the old Girl out for a dance often. I look at the 60cc same as I do a 165gr 30 cal bullet, use a good one and not much diff than using something bigger.
Now as to a 50cc saw I don't think you can kill one cutting personal use firewood say 7 cords a year a good 50cc saw will last 20 years if taken care of. It might be Slower but it will get the job done.
I suffer from cad so I take at least three saw's with me when cutting wood:)Just use it as a exuse to get another saw.
Who cares Just buy another saw, I have not bought one in a year and starting to twitch I need a fix!!

Last edited:
I've cut wood for my house with an Echo CS4400 (44 cc's), wasn't the fastest saw in the woods but it did the job and then some. I think it all depends on your saw budget. When i got my Echo i had a really small budget and made the most of it. mind you i still like a big saw but sometimes there are too many things that take priority. Have fun, picking out a saw is the best part i think.

Latest posts

Back