Is a stihl ms 260 price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a 260 worth the $ difference? Absolutely. Does every casual firewood cutter need the pro qualities that make up the functional difference? No. If all you're cutting is half a dozen cords of 6-10" wood annually then a 270 will serve you many years with proper maintenance.

Only you can answer the question if YOU need the difference.

This is actually a very good question. Real professionals have to focus on profit margins and would pick the 260 that they could rebuild in 10 years (or whatever). Most average Joes, in 10 years would, from sheer boredom or to get the latest technology, just go out and buy a new (or different) saw anyway. So the main 260 advantage of rebuildability (is that a word?)may not matter to most buyers.

This may all be blowing smoke, but the idea sounded good, so I kept running with it.:yoyo:

This is actually a very good question. Real professionals have to focus on profit margins and would pick the 260 that they could rebuild in 10 years (or whatever). Most average Joes, in 10 years would, from sheer boredom or to get the latest technology, just go out and buy a new (or different) saw anyway. So the main 260 advantage of rebuildability (is that a word?)may not matter to most buyers.

This may all be blowing smoke, but the idea sounded good, so I kept running with it.:yoyo:

Your idea is right on. The main reason why the 029/290 dominates as the #1 firewood saw. Or did, LOL.:laugh:

attachment.php

the 032 is a homeowner saw in the same class as the 270-280 and it has cut fire wood for over 30 years. This saw has only been tuned up, nothing replaced, and is still running strong. Will the 270 work? Yep. The little voice in the back of your head telling you to get the 260 pro is actually CAD and it will win the day so spend the extra $90 and get the 260.

Last edited:
attachment.php

the 032 is a homeowner saw in the same class as the 270-280 and it has cut fire wood for over 30 years. This saw has only been tuned up, nothing replaced, and is still running strong. Will the 270 work? Yep. The little voice in the back of your head telling you to get the 260 pro is actually CAD and it will win the day so spend the extra $90 and get the 260.

The 032 is not a homeowner saw as today's 270/280. The 032 is built similiar to all of today's pro saws with a vertically split mag case and bolt on cylinder. The 270 and 280 are glorified clamshells. With that said, the 270 and 280 are decently built saws.

The 032 is not a homeowner saw as today's 270/280. The 032 is built similiar to all of today's pro saws with a vertically split mag case and bolt on cylinder. The 270 and 280 are glorified clamshells. With that said, the 270 and 280 are decently built saws.

Yes probably not the best analogy but the 032 is a home owner saw and I assume that the pro saws of the day were better built. I personally went from home owner saws to pro saws and would have a hard time purchasing a home owner saw again.

Yes probably not the best analogy but the 032 is a home owner saw and I assume that the pro saws of the day were better built. I personally went from home owner saws to pro saws and would have a hard time purchasing a home owner saw again.

Not really. That 032 is built pretty much just like it's bigger brothers. They didn't build cheaply built homeowner saws back then like they do today.

Not really. That 032 is built pretty much just like it's bigger brothers. They didn't build cheaply built homeowner saws back then like they do today.

I guess the best advice for our thread starter is spend the money on the pro saw it is well worth the extra cost for 30+ years of service.

At one time all Stihl saws were what we would call pro built.
Home owners and pro's alike bought the same saws.
It is one of the reasons a nice old saw comes up for sale.
Some home owner bought a new saw to trim a yard tree or two.
Them old saws may have seen couple hours of total use in the saws life.
Still today one of them old cherry saws pop up for sale.
I remember when I bought a new 036 the dealer said stay awayfrom them odd numbed saws they are cheap made. He was an older dealer and hated when Stihl started the odd numbed saws. :)
The odd numbed saws was to tell a homer owner saw with out
even looking at it.

JD did the same thing with tractor numbers at one time, the lesser tractors
had odd numbers

TT

I was looking at the last # 036, 038, 044, 064, 088, 046, 880, 440, 360, 084. All great saws with even # but I understand what you are saying as opposed to 017, 031, 029 ect.

The little voice in the back of your head telling you to get the 260 pro is actually CAD and it will win the day so spend the extra $90 and get the 260.

LoL - so _that's_ what that was.

If you're askin', it's already too late. Every time you use that 270 you'll think to yourself, "just as good as a 260", and it'll drive ya Nutz.

I pondered the same question... about a month ago...

One close look at the two saws and it's easy to see the quality difference and where the price increase comes from. The 270 has alot more plastic. After having an 024 Super for over 20 problem free years and seeing the 260 used the same tried and trued construction, I opted for the 260 Pro.

Would the 270 have worked? Probably. But am I disapointed? Not at all. Cut about 6 cords of firewood so far with the new 260 Pro and couldn't be happier. It's light, nimble and has plenty of power for the stuff I cut. Feels just like my old 024 with more power. Keep the chain sharp and she cuts good!

not trying to hi-jack thread

But, I'm considering getting a 260 pro.( have a 290 farm boss) and i think you guys call it CAD:chainsawguy:. But now i want to sell and get a 260 pro and a 460 before they switch styles. my question is, if i do get a chance to get one here soon, which style chain should i get with the 260? 3/8 or .325? and can some one help explain the difference between the two. ( i'm just trying to make sure in the future i have the most versitile chain) because this CAD thing is hitting me pretty hard LOL.

But, I'm considering getting a 260 pro.( have a 290 farm boss) and i think you guys call it CAD:chainsawguy:. But now i want to sell and get a 260 pro and a 460 before they switch styles. my question is, if i do get a chance to get one here soon, which style chain should i get with the 260? 3/8 or .325? and can some one help explain the difference between the two. ( i'm just trying to make sure in the future i have the most versitile chain) because this CAD thing is hitting me pretty hard LOL.

Your 260 should come with 0.325 chain, mine did and it went like merry hell. Loved every minute of it. Sadly sold it now though as I have bought a 357xp. The money from the 260 is hopefully going to fund a 262xp. :biggrinbounce2:

HTH, David.

I recently called a local dealer looking for a 361, hoping to find a leftover and he told me that he had the 362 but for way less money they offered the 311 which had the identical engine as the 362. I had to go see this for myself and of course NOT!!!! I showed him the difference and he told me that he had just got back from a Stihl dealer refresher course and that is what they had told him there. He did offer up an apology for me driving down and being misinformed. Kinda makes me wonder if this is really what is going on or if he was just FOS?

I recently called a local dealer looking for a 361, hoping to find a leftover and he told me that he had the 362 but for way less money they offered the 311 which had the identical engine as the 362. I had to go see this for myself and of course NOT!!!! I showed him the difference and he told me that he had just got back from a Stihl dealer refresher course and that is what they had told him there. He did offer up an apology for me driving down and being misinformed. Kinda makes me wonder if this is really what is going on or if he was just FOS?

Maybe the dealer isn't a saw freak like all of us... reading up on specs and doing timed cuts and general comparisons probably doesn't float his boat. If i was a dealer though i would want to know everything about the thiings i was selling! It isn't fair to the customer to mis-guide them.

Latest posts

Back