Is a Stihl MS 261 more "dangerous" than a homowner saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I just got a MS 261 passed down to me by a family member.

I have been around and used chain saws for a decade, but mostly homeowner saws like stihl 181, 231, 250. I cut firewood for my family and friends (about 5 cords a year).

As I understand, the 261 is a pro saw, and it scares me a bit. I have huge respect for chain saws, and always use protective gear. I have also attended several local chainsaw training courses.

My question is; aside from the obvious, being an more powerful saw, is the 261 more dangerous to use than homeowner saws? Can I use a safety chain (low kickback chain) on the 261?

English is not my mother tongue, so sorry for any grammatical errors.

Some good feedback posts here already.

I'd add that the more powerful 261 might feel less forgiving than you're used to, and that is normal . . . it cuts faster than what you've been used to.

My 261 c-m (which is a bit lighter than yours) often feels jumpy when dealing with very small wood, but it shines when you sink the dogs into a 14" log and let her rip.

As others have said, any saw can be dangerous, just take your time, continue to wear your protective gear and know where your bar tip is at all times. Once you go Pro saws, the raw angrier power should become less intimidating over time and you'll never want to go back :cool:

Latest posts

Back