Is a winch enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an 8,000 lb Warn winch I was planning on using to drag trees. You think this would be enough to drag pines onto a trailer. Or would it burn up before I got much done. I don't know how long one of these can be used.

Most winches have a continuous "under load" run time rating (usually in the manual somewhere).
If you exceed that time limit you greatly increase the chances of motor failure due to excessive heat build-up.
If it doesn't (and actually a better way), just don't let the motor get hot enough to be uncomfortable when you lay your hand on it... really warm is OK, uncomfortably hot is not.
When necessary, give it plenty of time to cool off (I usually take a beer break :msp_biggrin: ... of course, I'm always lookin' for an excuse to take a beer break).
I've heard of pouring water over the motor to cool it faster... but usually the only cold liquid I have with me is beer, and that just seems like a waste of good beer.

Is it alow mount warn or a high mount?

The high mount are much better for heat dissipation and will run longer as a generalisation.

It's about airflow and also how buried in cable the drum is, as that can slow the cooling.

Other thing to watch is excess heat if you're using a synthetic rope.

An 8000lb Warn will have 80-100ft of cable of it in most cases, how far to you need to winch your trees onto the trailer?

Get your trailer close to the logs, consider parbuckling them on the trailer. Remember mechanical advantage is your friend. Dragging is harder than rolling, excessive amounts of cable lessen pull strengh and both add alot of extra heat.

I've heard of pouring water over the motor to cool it faster... but usually the only cold liquid I have with me is beer, and that just seems like a waste of good beer.

After a few beer I usually have some extra water to get rid of :givebeer::givebeer:

Think duty cycle. If you are thinking electric then think "short duty, long wait." Electric winches manufactures used to published duty cycles but I sure can't find one now for Warn or Ramsey. Warn's user guide only states that electric winches are designed for intermittant use only. And the two Warn guides I read include this: "Do Not powerout rope more than 30 ft. without allowing the winch to cool for 20 minutes before powering rope back in. Instead, place the clutch in freespool and pull the rope off by hand." I did find an article on the industrial winch Warn makes for the Hummer H-1. It said the duty cycle is 1 minute "on" 9 minutes "cool down."

My experience with electric winches has been very expensive. You might be okay loading a few logs on a trailer; a couple of chains would probably be quicker. Good luck with trying to drag logs any distance with an electric winch.

Ron

Now this has me thinking..maybe better to find one of those real cheap with a dead electric motor, and see if a cheap gas lawnmower engine could be fitted to it somehow. No worries about overheating or waiting around then.

ya, I know they make the lewis winch to use a chainsaw..too expensive and wuss, I would want a 4 stroke for that job, cheaper, and something with oil in a crankcase..maybe a harbor freight on sale honda clone, around 6 horse?? something like that.

Off to google to see if this exists already...

I always wanted to take a old frontine rototiller and try to use it as a winch. I have a couple in the barn save for just this but never got around to it.

Make an "A" frame that you can lower or raise at the back of your trailer and bolt it to the last 2 stack pockets.Back up over a log,raise it with the "A" frame and winch the log on.I can get 5 or 6 on this way,with hardly any stress on the winch.

Frame and Height

Wampum has the right idea . If you can build a frame with a heavy pulley in the center this will give you height. You'll be better off if you can get one end of the log off the ground while skidding it to your trailer.

There was a video in one of our threads that showed a guy with a setup like this. He could pull a log up to the trailer , then raise the end even higher, set the end on the trailer and slide the log all the way on. Neat setup.

Nosmo

I always thought a decent sized cathead and rope would be the deal...unlimited length of pull possible, and no worry about heating up the motor if its hydraulic or gasoline. The ones we had on the rigs were in the 4k to 6k pound range...

I do not have pics right now but will try to explain it.I have 2 pcs of flat stock about 12 inches long.These go through the last 2 stack pockets and are attached with 2 bolts drilled through the trailer frame below the stack pockets.This metal sticks up about 6 to 8 inches above the trailer deck.I then attach 2 pieces of angle iron together about 6 foot long to form an "A" frame the bottom 6 inches of the angle iron has the one angle cut off so that it can be bent to bolt to the metal in the stack pocket.This allows the angle frame to pivot. At the top of the angle I run a heavy bolt through both pieces to hold the "A"frame together.I then put a shackle on the bolt.I attach a come-a-long or whatever to the front of the trailer and the top of the "A" frame.I can then adjust the angle and heigh of the "A" frame. You never want the "A" frames angle to go real low,because you will lose leverage.You back near the log,put a chain around it and hook a chain fall or come-a-long to the chain and "A" frame.You lift the log,then pull the "A" frame up(not going over center)lower the log on the trailer and winch it on the rest of the way.I use the winch I had hooked to the "A" frame.It is a lot easier to lock the "A" frame upright while pulling the log on to keep it out of the way.Hope this helps.

I always wanted to take a old frontine rototiller and try to use it as a winch. I have a couple in the barn save for just this but never got around to it.

Hey, seems decent enough to start with! 4 stroke, geared.
Add a capstan instead of tines, and mount it securely somehow.

A skid plate or chamfer end of the log to reduce drag

a stack of wood at the end of the trailer for a ramp:msp_thumbup:

Winch abuse

View attachment 283494

The winch still works, somewhat. Made in China 8K (it would never pull that). Mounted in the back of the jeep to skid logs with. Probably pulled a thousand logs with it, some of the pulls were with all the 80 something feet of cable. The brake was the first thing to expire. Deleted it, kept going. The gears are really starting to make noise now and the bushings that the drum rides on are wasted now. Makes it a difficult task to free spool cable out. The motor has been really hot numerous times. Ran it with two batteries most of the time. wheelies were really easy, and I rolled it onto it's side a couple times.

Winching onto a trailer? Easy. There might be better options, the winch will do it slowly. Setting up a gin pole and using the winch to lift the log over the side would be faster. Or do that arch thing already mentioned. good luck.

I made A hybrid :). I got a used 2 speed winch of big old boat trailer. Have about 60' of 1/4" cable on it. I leave it set on smallest gear all the time and also us a block. I think the winch is rated at 6,500 lb. It didn't have a handle so I used an impact socket that fit over handle shaft. I drilled it and pinned with roll pin.I use my 18 volt Dewalt with a socket adapter it works great .I cut trees to 6-8 foot length depends on diameter.Choke in center less drag and pull trigger on drill:) I mounted bracket on winch and just chain to a standing tree. Works great free wheel out power in with drill .I do use the drill on low speed also. Believe it or not it still moves pretty quick.I use this also to pull my duck boat up and over leeve and back duck hunting.Its a 17" on boat with 40 hp and gear.

Last edited:
Back