Is ethanol really that bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently bought a shiny leaf blower. Put a carb kit in it ran fine for 10 seconds then started running rough. I had ordered some cosmetic parts for it and called my dealer to cancel. Tried again about 20 mins later and the thing ran perfect. Called back to uncancel order and the guy told me the following. When it is hot and humid out the ethanol evaporates and leaves a jelly like substance in the carb. Any truth to this? He said use Stabil, does that stuff actually work?

I think ethanol in fuel is dumb for a variety of reasons, but every saw I've ever run since before I joined here has been E10. Whether there is snow on the ground or it's 95F, in every video I've posted, it's all been E10. At high temps I have issues with vapor lock, but that is it. I think I've bought 1 carb kit in my life. I've replaced some fuel lines and purge bulbs, but then I had to do that on my Echo string trimmer too in the days before ethanol.

I have seen issues from fuel stored in inappropriate plastic containers, and the use of old fuel (both of them my Dad).

Ethanol mixes with the water, and helps it burn through. It can react with and damage aluminum parts, I think more of a problem is all of the other crap that they add to fuel ....

I think people really overreact to the whole Ethanol in fuel issue. When fuel is mixed and stored properly, and equipment is tuned properly, 10% Ethanol in the fuel is harmless, in my opinion. Sure, it can make for a headache when someone doesn't know how to store fuel or tune equipment, but Ethanol itself has caused me no ill effects.

TFB

If the previous owner used bad fuel, it could have caused the fuel lines to turn to goo, yes. What's really frustrating, and I've had it happen to me plenty of times, is that you clean & kit a carb, only to have gunk from the tank and/or a piece of fuel line goop clog the carb again. Cleaning the tank (especially if it's metal) and replacing the fuel lines is good insurance, and with practice doesn't take too long.

It's been my experience that the most frustrating part of replacing fuel lines is not knowing what size to use. I tired of taking random parts to my local O P E parts desk to find the correct size line. So one time I said, "how many sizes of fuel line do you guys have?" His answer was, "6, but we use these four sizes the most." I asked him to give me 5 feet of the main four and 2 feet of the other two. Easy to store in a plastic container and I know that 98% of the time, I have whatever fuel line I need.

To answer your question, I use E-Free because it's 15 minutes away from my house. I also treat my cans with regular Stabil and a splash of over-the-counter fuel injection cleaner. Whatever's on sale at the parts house. I honestly can't vouch for whether or not they make a difference, but it's cheap insurance in my mind.

As for the Stabil "de-ethanoling" stuff, I'm skeptical. But to be fair, I haven't done any sort of experiments or anything.

Is ethanol really that bad?

Everything over 0.200 BAC is considered quite unhealthy!

In my state over. 08% is considered under the influence.

To the OP, I guess I believe in the bogeyman on this one. I burn between five and 15 gallons of pre-mix a year through my little 2.5 gallon can. Making the 30 minute drive for E0 a few times a year is cheap piece of mind, and there is a dirt cheap movie theatre in that town so I can take in a flick and get my fingers buttery in the same trip....

How did you know I was drinking when I fixed the blower? Seriously, the guy I talked to was a pro. He said he sees carbs ****ed up by e-10 all the time.
To me, that goes back to improper storage... If you let Ethanol set in the carburetor and tank, it will slowly degrade, separate, attract water, and eat away at rubber parts. If you know you won't be using a saw for an extended period, drain the fuel, start it and run til it stalls. Problem solved.

TFB

Most of the issues with ethanol comes from leaving fuel in equipment for extended periods. Ethanol is hydroscopic and acidifies fuel so corrosion and degradation of lines, diaphrams, gaskets, etc. becomes a problem in the long run. Stabilizers like stabil or startron may help but nothing removes ethanol from fuel except for mixing with water and decanting it off.

I run E10 93 octane in all my O P E because I can't find E free, high octane fuel here in the cornbelt. No issues yet but I always drain tanks and idle to starve the system of fuel if I know the equipment will sit unused for over a few weeks. I also add startron to the fuel for good measure.

Have had a few saws and mowers come in that had been used in the L48 (no ethanol here, thank goodness!) and all the rubber parts in the fuel system had turned into goo. Never have seen that with stuff run just on the gas we have here. Sometimes have to do a carb rebuild for having water or just from hardened diaphragms or seals, but no goo.

I bought a generator 5 or 6 years ago that had been stuck in a shed in 1987 (was a 1985 model). It ran just fine on the ~25 yr old gas that was in the tank. Only issue was the tank had rusted a bit from the condensation. The thing running on that gas was quite impressive considering I later drained it out and it wouldn't even burn when dumped in my burn barrel! 8hp Briggs... apparently can run on just about anything!

Most of the issues with ethanol comes from leaving fuel in equipment for extended periods. Ethanol is hydroscopic and acidifies fuel so corrosion and degradation of lines, diaphrams, gaskets, etc. becomes a problem in the long run. Stabilizers like stabil or startron may help but nothing removes ethanol from fuel except for mixing with water and decanting it off.

I run E10 93 octane in all my O P E because I can't find E free, high octane fuel here in the cornbelt. No issues yet but I always drain tanks and idle to starve the system of fuel if I know the equipment will sit unused for over a few weeks. I also add startron to the fuel for good measure.

never heard of it. but did look it up... interesting. u say for good measure. could u commnet on ur exp before using it, why u use it and what you feel the tangible benefits are? what is for good measure as compared to what/... I would appreciate it, prob some others, too. :)

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

E10 is ok. I have see as high as e30 with my Stihl tester, let just say I don't go to that store anymore

An internal combustion engine shouldn't get fed with alcohol - look what happened to Doc.Brown's DeLorean, blew the carb right off! :p

Drink the alcohol Yourself and feed Your engines Dino juice.

On an diesel engine go crazy with all natural frying oil - used or fresh, doesn't matter! ;)

None of my engines, neither 2 nor 4 stroke, are knowingly getting E-fuel!
Not saying that it doesn't work, but the engines usually aren't really built to fully withstand it.

never heard of it. but did look it up... interesting. u say for good measure. could u commnet on ur exp before using it, why u use it and what you feel the tangible benefits are? what is for good measure as compared to what/... I would appreciate it, prob some others, too. :)

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

I can't say for sure it helps but I figure it's cheap insurance...it only takes a little glug per gallon. I believe it is supposed to help minimize fuel acidification and phase separation. And it has some type of enzyme that is supposed to help break up varnish and deposits. It sounds good on paper, how well it really works is hard to say.

I'm not 100% sure if it's ethanol that has caused it or just time but I've had to rebuild every carb on a chainsaw I own but 1 so far and I have about 12 saws I started only running non ethanol gas and haven't had to rebuild any more carbs. Most of the issue I've run into is a Gummy substance and also the metering diaphragm getting stiff and not responding quickly.

I think one of the often overlooked things that cause problems is what people store their fuel in - and this can be made worse by ethanol. I know lots of people who store fuel in various old plastic bottles rather than actual fuel jugs, and these plastics can leach out into the fuel and leave deposits in the carb.

Latest posts

Back