Is Husqvarna Fading??? & West Coast thought's???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a lot to unpack here.

1) Husqvarna is diversifying with more chainsaws and outside of chainsaws because they see that forestry / logging as a profession isn’t what it used to be. The big trees are smaller than they were. 100+cc chainsaws aren’t needed anymore. Men are being replaced by feller buncher machines, and farmers and land owners with tons of acres who clear wilderness are being replaced by homeowners in condos.
Stihl is looking for footing with the remaining forestry and landscaping professionals. Husqvarna is also, while trying to tap into homeowners.

2) in trying to make it easier for homeowners to buy their product, Husqvarna moved into big box stores. It was easier to present product for consumer to choose to buy and sell a new saw than to support a dealership to guide and convince a consumer what to buy and fix it when it breaks. Dealerships on both sides have closed over the years, but Husqvarna has relied less on them I think to keep operating.

3) Husqvarna has trusted the consumer to fix their own equipment more than Stihl. This may not be what a professional wants to spend time doing, but a homeowner may. Stihl requires a dealership to buy parts through, whereas you can buy Husqvarna parts online yourself. This reduced dependence further depressed demand on dealerships for Husqvarna, perhaps exacerbating their closing.

4) with the spread of information on the internet, point number 3) was accelerated because it was easier to price compare and shop online, diagnose and fix your own equipment. This pushed Husqvarna further into the realm of DIY. While it’s possible to buy a Stihl part and fix the saw yourself as well, Stihl I feel is pitching to a market that doesn’t want to be bothered with anything other than using equipment.

It will be interesting to see how the tables will turn as issues with AutoTune appear and the DIY Husky crowd is forced to find dealership support. Maybe Husky just hopes it’s problem free? I can’t speak to what’s on the west coast, but I think it’s very much a region thing. Some areas will have a strong Husky population holding out. Others will support Stihl more. One of my favorite YouTube channels is HotSaws101 who is based in Oregon, and he runs Husky, Stihl and Dolmar. Although I think he personally has more Husky saws than Stihl.

Well said perspective here! … Everyone's reply greatly appreciated. Fortunately here, both dealers, 10 mins apart are well versed in their products & Maintenance. If not, they take the fortitude to look it up and correspond asap. They also take feedback from loggers with their products & will tell for better or worse in honesty what issues they may experience with a model. … "Husqvarna" here is not impressed with the cost of the 572 opposed to the 372, but that's kinda the natural order of everything these days. ? $989.00 I think. … "Stihls" $1200 all day for the 462 "R" and always have to add the desired bar length. Personally, I never liked the idea of always having to go through a Certified Dealer for parts/awaiting?

I'm getting off track a bit as its a subjective question. I asked both how saw sales are. 462's are flying … Husky sold 3 572's since September.
I looked these over again today, spent time. Personally, I'm partial to that 572! … Got home, received a call. He can get the "XPW" for lack of a better term asap. Actions Taken, Confidence restored! … I hope lol.

Thank You all! once again. Stay Safe!

I have much preferred the Husqvarna line of chainsaws to Stihl, and I still do. I ran 372XP and 395XPs for a long time. The ergonomics are, in my opinion, better with the angle on the front handlebar, the better clutch side handle on the wrap and the more distance between front and rear handles are just more comfortable to me. Their top handles suck, to be frank, and my cut off saws have always been Stihl, outside of the Hilti I got and the guys didn’t like.

That said, parts and service in my area are now nonexistent. The internet helped some, but while I have a mechanic (and a machinist, and a toolmaker, and a welder) on staff, I’d rather let a dealer mess with small fleet stuff than keep my guys from working on rebuilding the stick cylinder on the 345D. That’s put me on a Stihl kick with chainsaws. That, and the durability, self-tuning, power band and air filtration on the MS 441C-M when I picked a crew saw. I’m currently running an 046, MS 441 and an MS 461. I miss my 372s, but it’s just not worthwhile to run them anymore in my area.

I think @Derf probably stated what I’m seeing from Husqvarna best. They’re not really targeting the pro user anymore. They’re targeting where they can make money, although they will probably always have a “professional” line. Stihl is going after a niche market, and their products and service reflect as such.

The last time I was out on the west coast I was on a fire in NorCal a little over a year ago, and the 1128 Stihls dominated. 044/046/MS 440/460/461 were what most of the fallers were running. Wildland fire isn’t a very good approximation of what most fallers run, though. It’s a niche market within a niche market. It always seemed like the production guys ran 1122 & 1128 with a few 1134s thrown in in Wa & Oregon while I was working there. The BC guys seemed to prefer the 372 & 395, though that was a few years ago. I’m not really hip to what the loggers are running out west anymore.

I have much preferred the Husqvarna line of chainsaws to Stihl, and I still do. I ran 372XP and 395XPs for a long time. The ergonomics are, in my opinion, better with the angle on the front handlebar, the better clutch side handle on the wrap and the more distance between front and rear handles are just more comfortable to me. Their top handles suck, to be frank, and my cut off saws have always been Stihl, outside of the Hilti I got and the guys didn’t like.

That said, parts and service in my area are now nonexistent. The internet helped some, but while I have a mechanic (and a machinist, and a toolmaker, and a welder) on staff, I’d rather let a dealer mess with small fleet stuff than keep my guys from working on rebuilding the stick cylinder on the 345D. That’s put me on a Stihl kick with chainsaws. That, and the durability, self-tuning, power band and air filtration on the MS 441C-M when I picked a crew saw. I’m currently running an 046, MS 441 and an MS 461. I miss my 372s, but it’s just not worthwhile to run them anymore in my area.

I think @Derf probably stated what I’m seeing from Husqvarna best. They’re not really targeting the pro user anymore. They’re targeting where they can make money, although they will probably always have a “professional” line. Stihl is going after a niche market, and their products and service reflect as such.

The last time I was out on the west coast I was on a fire in NorCal a little over a year ago, and the 1128 Stihls dominated. 044/046/MS 440/460/461 were what most of the fallers were running. Wildland fire isn’t a very good approximation of what most fallers run, though. It’s a niche market within a niche market. It always seemed like the production guys ran 1122 & 1128 with a few 1134s thrown in in Wa & Oregon while I was working there. The BC guys seemed to prefer the 372 & 395, though that was a few years ago. I’m not really hip to what the loggers are running out west anymore.
Mirrored my thoughts.
I haven't got to use the newer commercial stihl saws yet but will be.
I definitely want the 500i.
It seems like it will be the greatest time and energy saver to hit the market in many years.

Seems there are more Stihl dealers here in northeast Oklahoma. When I moved here though 10nyears ago my 55 Rancher with a 20 inch bar was considered a big saw lol. They about fell over when my 372xp and 395xp were brought out. Seems it's a dealer based area and consumers only use smaller saws and actually most tree trimmers in the area as well. Noticed a lot of misinformation being given and took me 6 years to find good dealers here. Yes could.of gotten Stihls yet have always preferred my Husqvarna and I work on my own saws mostly once warranty is up so just need parts. No matter the brand the bigger saws taken while to order the parts. For the money I would still go with Husqvarna motor. Did have a 572xp that I was able to test for a week last winter. Loved it with my Sugihara 24 inch bar. Anyways new here and hope this helped lol.

Husqvarna has too many brands to support long-term, but this is not a new phenomenon. They're quick to acquire and slow to consolidate.
They're more like Samsung than Sony.

As long as they can keep making saws like 550 MK2 and 572, they'll be significant players in the pro saw market but you don't need to be no 1 in sales to be the most profitable.

Great POV''s, definitely a lot of validity … as it's a Subjective Question.?. Thank You all!

It's unfortunate how Change is a constant anymore these day's, "With Everything". no one can leave "well enough" alone. But I'll break this subject up! ie, 70K for a half ton Pick Up Truck, really? … anyway, found this pic of a BC Heli Crews gear?59532622_1698645370267164_3132099823709685329_n.jpg

Great POV''s, definitely a lot of validity … as it's a Subjective Question.?. Thank You all!

It's unfortunate how Change is a constant anymore these day's, "With Everything". no one can leave "well enough" alone. But I'll break this subject up! ie, 70K for a half ton Pick Up Truck, really? … anyway, found this pic of a BC Heli Crews gear?View attachment 777867
Looks like you got the best of both worlds.

The 395xp with a tortillotson carb will always be my favorite saw for durability and bucking and 372 is close as an all around.

I cant do the ford chevy dodge thing with trucks or saws.

Whatever is most realistic is what I must do.

Truck became a status symbol because of people that dont need them buying them.

My dump truck is a small gasser f350 that will go 100mph at 10,000 lbs.

Yet some idiots run around in a turned up diesel they will never use with a 4 wheel drive they will only use to wreck out on ice. 12" echo tip annoying everyone at the gas station as they leave it Idling and pull 7 k lbs at most.

I don't get it.
Back in the 12valve cummins and 7.3 powerstroke days diesels made sense.

Now they are ridiculous upkeep and burn up quicker than most gas engines spitting trannys out.

Its a mad world.
I amalane guy though. Getting old I guess. I want silence and low overhead.

Hell... All the gas engines today will go 300,000 plus with a knowledgeable ADULT taking care of them and driving them.

There’s a lot to unpack here.

1) Husqvarna is diversifying with more chainsaws and outside of chainsaws because they see that forestry / logging as a profession isn’t what it used to be. The big trees are smaller than they were. 100+cc chainsaws aren’t needed anymore. Men are being replaced by feller buncher machines, and farmers and land owners with tons of acres who clear wilderness are being replaced by homeowners in condos.
Stihl is looking for footing with the remaining forestry and landscaping professionals. Husqvarna is also, while trying to tap into homeowners.

2) in trying to make it easier for homeowners to buy their product, Husqvarna moved into big box stores. It was easier to present product for consumer to choose to buy and sell a new saw than to support a dealership to guide and convince a consumer what to buy and fix it when it breaks. Dealerships on both sides have closed over the years, but Husqvarna has relied less on them I think to keep operating.

3) Husqvarna has trusted the consumer to fix their own equipment more than Stihl. This may not be what a professional wants to spend time doing, but a homeowner may. Stihl requires a dealership to buy parts through, whereas you can buy Husqvarna parts online yourself. This reduced dependence further depressed demand on dealerships for Husqvarna, perhaps exacerbating their closing.

4) with the spread of information on the internet, point number 3) was accelerated because it was easier to price compare and shop online, diagnose and fix your own equipment. This pushed Husqvarna further into the realm of DIY. While it’s possible to buy a Stihl part and fix the saw yourself as well, Stihl I feel is pitching to a market that doesn’t want to be bothered with anything other than using equipment.

It will be interesting to see how the tables will turn as issues with AutoTune appear and the DIY Husky crowd is forced to find dealership support. Maybe Husky just hopes it’s problem free? I can’t speak to what’s on the west coast, but I think it’s very much a region thing. Some areas will have a strong Husky population holding out. Others will support Stihl more. One of my favorite YouTube channels is HotSaws101 who is based in Oregon, and he runs Husky, Stihl and Dolmar. Although I think he personally has more Husky saws than Stihl.

I’ve got to disagree. Sure the days of logging the old growth are gone and loggers are largely being replaced by machinery, but the population is more than double what it was in the 1950s and all those people on small rural acreage or suburban lots still need saws. Around here, even urban lots often have massive trees and that means there is more demand for tree work than ever. Then there are the chainsaw millers and weirdos like myself who just love saws and buy way more and larger saws than we need.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is that even back in the day loggers were only a small minority of chainsaw buyers. If Stihl or Husqvarna had to rely on loggers alone for their business they’d be very small operations.

Looks like you got the best of both worlds.

The 395xp with a tortillotson carb will always be my favorite saw for durability and bucking and 372 is close as an all around.

I cant do the ford chevy dodge thing with trucks or saws.

Whatever is most realistic is what I must do.

Truck became a status symbol because of people that dont need them buying them.

My dump truck is a small gasser f350 that will go 100mph at 10,000 lbs.

Yet some idiots run around in a turned up diesel they will never use with a 4 wheel drive they will only use to wreck out on ice. 12" echo tip annoying everyone at the gas station as they leave it Idling and pull 7 k lbs at most.

I don't get it.
Back in the 12valve cummins and 7.3 powerstroke days diesels made sense.

Now they are ridiculous upkeep and burn up quicker than most gas engines spitting trannys out.

Its a mad world.
I amalane guy though. Getting old I guess. I want silence and low overhead.

Hell... All the gas engines today will go 300,000 plus with a knowledgeable ADULT taking care of them and driving them.

Well Said, you got it! & … I attest the "395" is the standard!

Attachments

• 20190324_191055.jpg
    20190324_191055.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
I’ve got to disagree. Sure the days of logging the old growth are gone and loggers are largely being replaced by machinery, but the population is more than double what it was in the 1950s and all those people on small rural acreage or suburban lots still need saws. Around here, even urban lots often have massive trees and that means there is more demand for tree work than ever. Then there are the chainsaw millers and weirdos like myself who just love saws and buy way more and larger saws than we need.

The other thing you have to take into consideration is that even back in the day loggers were only a small minority of chainsaw buyers. If Stihl or Husqvarna had to rely on loggers alone for their business they’d be very small operations.

Well, your not the only. "Who leaves an 88O in the master Bath" with a special request Cannon to polish their Bar & Red Logo? 20160229_182350.jpg

I have two decent stihl dealers close by and 0 actual husqvarna dealers. Lots of places to buy husqvarna but no real support. That said I just can't get used to stihl saws and haven't had great luck with them when I tried so I take my chances with husqvarna. Really bummed that they couldn't keep the weight down on the 550 mark II to actually compete with the 261cm. If they had I'd own one but its so close to my 562xp why bother.

Really bummed that they couldn't keep the weight down on the 550 mark II to actually compete with the 261cm. If they had I'd own one but its so close to my 562xp why bother.

That's really about the perception of solidity, not about being able to make light weight. 1/2 kg is a difference after 10 minutes or half an hour so if you don't need that 1/2 kg...

Really bummed that they couldn't keep the weight down on the 550 mark II to actually compete with the 261cm. If they had I'd own one but its so close to my 562xp why bother.[/QUOTE]:

the mark II 550 runs superb ....it will definitely ( compete ) with the 261cm it is a little heavier ..but it's like a rabid little beaver....don't think husqvarna had any intension of keep weight down, only building an excellent saw... and it is ....;)

Here in my area of NC, there are no Husqvarna dealers except for Lowe's selling the homeowner stuff. Every hardware store is a Stihl dealer selling homeowner stuff and a couple real Stihl dealers within driving distance. I have to order Husqvarna stuff online.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

+1. I'm in Eastern NC now and cannot find anywhere that carries any XP saws. I can get parts, but no saws. Every logger, arborist, landscaper, and tree service I've seen runs Stihl with a rare Echo here and there. That goes for all pro level equipment. The only place I've seen husky equipment is at box stores, but I don't think it sells very good.

Husqvarna strong in the east.

Where in the east? I know of two dealers in the North East that stopped carrying Husky saws completely. Including any other Husky equipment. That's up in skidder country too... Where everyone knows or is related to a logger.
Ten years ago, everyone ran Husqvarna. Now it's all Stihl. Same story in NortWestern West Virginia as well as in Florida.

Really bummed that they couldn't keep the weight down on the 550 mark II to actually compete with the 261cm. If they had I'd own one but its so close to my 562xp why bother.
:

the mark II 550 runs superb ....it will definitely ( compete ) with the 261cm it is a little heavier ..but it's like a rabid little beaver....don't think husqvarna had any intension of keep weight down, only building an excellent saw... and it is ....;)[/QUOTE]

I hear ya its just that the original 550 was such a light, narrow, agile saw. Maybe I'm wrong but the 550 mkII seems like its about the same size as my 562. Its a weird little niche I know, but I'm a carpenter and I try to mostly do log construction. Architects like to add interior log accents after the house is mostly built and I find myself trying to run a saw in very tight spaces. The 550xp seemed like a perfect replacement for my 257. I found this site researching saws (the 550xp) ended up buying a 562 because of all the bad threads on the 550 but the size of the original 550xp would have been great for a lot of what I do.

I do love that 562 though!

:

the mark II 550 runs superb ....it will definitely ( compete ) with the 261cm it is a little heavier ..but it's like a rabid little beaver....don't think husqvarna had any intension of keep weight down, only building an excellent saw... and it is ....;)

I hear ya its just that the original 550 was such a light, narrow, agile saw. Maybe I'm wrong but the 550 mkII seems like its about the same size as my 562. Its a weird little niche I know, but I'm a carpenter and I try to mostly do log construction. Architects like to add interior log accents after the house is mostly built and I find myself trying to run a saw in very tight spaces. The 550xp seemed like a perfect replacement for my 257. I found this site researching saws (the 550xp) ended up buying a 562 because of all the bad threads on the 550 but the size of the original 550xp would have been great for a lot of what I do.

I do love that 562 though![/QUOTE]

The 550XPv2 is made from the experience, just a later model I guess.

Latest posts

Back