Two Saw Plan Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. From what I read, people prefer the 346xp over the MS260, yet no reasons were given. Why is the 346XP thought to be a better saw? I see it has more power, a decompression button and an adjustable oiler but are there any other reasons folks prefer the 346XP to the 260. Short of the power ratings, the 346 looks to be more on par with the 260 pro because of the adjustable oiler and decompression. Is the biggest advantage due to the 346 costing less than the 260? .....

The 346xp cost 40% more than the 260 Pro here, but it also beats the 260 badly in most respects (handling, accelleration, power, anti-vibe, air filtration) - the 260 is a tad lighter though.

It is well worth the 40% extra money we pay here, even though the 260 also is a good saw (but a relic of the past really - LOL)......

Last edited:
I dont think there is a such thing as a 2 saw plan if you know about this site. there is only I think I need another saw plan and another and another. LOL. Rick !!! :)

No, a "2 saw plan" is the staging point for the "3 saw plan", which is the...

There is a whole lot of talking going on here. Essentially, get a 50cc class saw from one of the big guys (non-consumer) and a 70cc class saw. Then start saving for a 90cc class saw because 70cc saws are too slow... :)

Mark

346XP NE & 372XP

Boy, that was easy. Any other questions? :)

P.S. I have had great luck with Redwing boots, have owned probably somewhere in the vicinity 8 pairs for work, all the same model, size, color bought from the same little shop downtown. Just bought a pair of steel toe insulated loggers, love them so far...

Scott

Last edited:
Good Lord, was that an opening post or what?

The thoroughness of that composition, and the name T. Dionne have me thinking. Tim, is that you, and how did you end up back in Maine?

Growler Hockey, #27

Most of the loggers around here use Husky. It's a perferance though. Asking people on here what saws to buy will only get you someone's perferance. Only problem with that is it might not be your perferance also. I own both Sthil's and Huskie's. I perfer the Husky. Cheaper parts, better dealer support in my area.

When you go to buy a saw. You should buy your dealer first, your saw second. Sounds like you'll have a better dealer in the Husky's. So I would give them a look. I too would vote for the 346xp and 372xp combo. If you can find a 372xp, if not seems like any Husky in the 70cc range is good. Some maybe heavier than the others and will get a bad rep for it, but like I mention it's a perferance. 372xpw is also a good choice. A little more cc's than the standard xp.

If you can find a good used 262xp. I think I'd take that over the 346xp. It is a bigger saw though. I think a 262xp by itself would do everything your wanting to do.

If think the Stihl saws are high, wait until you go to by their parts.

Gotta agree Rick. Once you start cutting, you may "need" a larger saw for a tree or two, then maybe a smaller top handle for the real small stuff, etc.
How about go in the middle to start (361 or 372) and then decide whether you need a larger saw (adding another brand Solo 681) or a smaller saw.
Just thinking.
Chad

That i swhat I did. 361, I love the saw. Now I know I need a 460 and want a 260. My situation is similar to yours. Dealer service made the differance for me in brand.

I apologize for the late reply. I want to thank everyone for their input. There should be a couple new saws sitting in the shop within the very near future.

it aint the breed that matters

will the dealer you buy from be there when you FUBAR a saw in the middle of a big job is the question??????????:givebeer: I do not care what breed of saw one runs will the dealer be there when you need support is more important then what model of saw. my local stihl dealer has done more for me then any other dealer, so i give him as much business as i can give him. a knowledgeable dealer is better then the breed of saw:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

Spike60:
“Good Lord, was that an opening post or what?
The thoroughness of that composition, and the name T. Dionne have me thinking. Tim, is that you, and how did you end up back in Maine?
Growler Hockey, #27”

Yup that’s me but a different one. Been in Maine all my life.

Also, anyone know what the Stihl 260 and 460 are rated for RPM?

Thanks

1. What is the difference in a Stihl saw with the old numbering and the new numbering, i.e.: 026vs260 and 046vs460? What changed in the saw to warrant the new badging? If there was a brand new 046 and a brand new MS460 on the shelf which one would you take and why, hypothetically?
Thanks

026/046 are older than 260/460. Is older better than newer? Newer Stihls may have beefier components such as piston pins and better anti-vibe. Older Stihls have less restrictive exhaust which means more HP. Restrictive exhausts are easy to overcome. Pick the newer saw.

Sounds to me like....

.... the 260/460 combo is going to be chosen.

Excellent, IMHO.

I already miss my 260. Opened up the muffler, and it screamed nicely. Light, well balanced.
My 460 got it's muff opened up as well. Works real nice that way. Pulls a 24" bar with ease.

The Stihl's have inboard clutches. This makes chain swapping easier. Also the chain brake is out of harms way. I had some issues with the Husqvarna's chain brake causing some issues. I may have been instrumental in removal of a couple of them....

Latest posts

Back