Is it Cherry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If what defoliated my black cherries are tent caterpillars, and something different than gypsie moth caterpillars..... i apologize if misspoke. They appear to be the same, or at least similar. They made nests,or webs in the cherry trees around here in early summer, and devoured every inch of foliage on the trees. They poop all over my wife's car and really make a mess. I would say there were many thousands, if not tens of thousands of them in one of my cherry tree. I tried some big-box store insecticide with poor results. I'll post a pic of one of the winter worn nests....... maybe you can tell me exactly what they are? Literally, there wasn't a cherry anywhere around here that had a single shred of a leaf on it by mid summer.

They look mighty similar.

Gypsy moths 'pillars prefered oak and completely defoliated acres and acres worth in the early 80s. They were so bad that you could hear them munching away in the woods in the still of the night. In Haverhill, Mass, there was a stretch of road where they crossed to get from one oak to another where cards were skidding out of control.

I think what you have there is fall web worm, which prefer cherries, birches, and apple.

Web worm:
fallwebworm1.jpg

fallwebworm2.jpg

fallwebworm3.jpg

Tent catapillars:

et_caterpillar4.jpg

Latest posts

Back