Is it OK or garbage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechief

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Quick question for ya. On my 044 the flywheel is missing one of the fins on it. Is it ok to run or do I have to pull the flywheel off and replace it? Are they just cooling fins? Thanks again guys.

Hey fellas,

Quick question for ya. On my 044 the flywheel is missing one of the fins on it. Is it ok to run or do I have to pull the flywheel off and replace it? Are they just cooling fins? Thanks again guys.

It is junk, and chainsaws have toxic waste in them that cost alot to dispose of.

I will do you and only you a favor, I will dispose of it for you.

Hey fellas,

It is junk, and chainsaws have toxic waste in them that cost alot to dispose of.

You will find lots of guys willing to dispose of your saw, minus one fin that you will never know was missing. (Well, you may, but you won't notice it, it won't hurt anything, and nobody else would be the wiser)

You guys are the best for the quick knowledgeable and witty responses!! Would you run it as is or re-attach the fin with JB Weld? It is a clean break if that makes any difference. Thanks again guys.

You guys are the best for the quick knowledgeable and witty responses!! Would you run it as is or re-attach the fin with JB Weld? It is a clean break if that makes any difference. Thanks again guys.

Run It!

I'm not a fan of JB weld on anything that sees rotation. You run the risk of it letting loose and damaging something else on your saw, or worse, you!

Last edited:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:agree2: Run it :chainsaw:

Been running my 440 with a broken fin now for about 6 cords, no issues yet. Run it and don't worry about it.

Hey fellas,

I am sure you have the possibility of running the saw with a broken flywheel for many years, just as I am sure it could crap out next week because of it.

How much does the part cost ?
It all boils down to cost and benefit.
If the flywheel is 90 % of the cost of a new saw I say run it until it stops working.
If it is only 2 dollars why wouldn't you replace it. It isn't like they added all the extra parts for a reason. If it is there it serves a purpose.

Personally if the part was less than 15 % of a new saw I would replace it in a heartbeat, otherwise I might be thinking it's time to upgrade anyways and this might be the excuse if that saw happens to die.

Just my 2 cents.

Just checked and it is over $100.00 for a new one so I think I'll just run her as is. The saw will only see an average of 10 hours per year anyways as I have 3 saws I want to keep in rotation.

It seems to me the flywheel is a rotating mass and therefore must be precision balanced. If a fin is broken off the flywheel that would create an unbalanced condition and possibly damage the crank and bearings. But then again...what do I know. Just something to ponder.

Back