Is it possible to run .325 on an 038AV???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl smilen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up an 038 AV and no its not A super or A mag or a mag2.
It has A 3/8 drive sprocket on it now. All my other saws are set up to run with .325 .063 gauge bars and chains. I can't seem to find A drive sprocket in .325 for an 038 AV. does any one now if one is available or some way I can make this work. I have plenty of bars and chains already. The 038 needs a new bar and chain. I would like to use some of the stuff I already have If I can find A drive sprocket or retro fit something to work. Thanks. AS rocks.

I would be thinking about changing over everything else to 3/8th if I were you. The .325 is good for saws that don't have much power, but is junk on anything that has a little grunt to it.

Thanks for the help guys. Changing everything over to 3/8 is something I did consider. I just thought I would wait to do that until my stock pile of .325 stuff was close to being used up. Saw troll I don't suppose you could elaborate on the drum and rim set up. I believe you are talking about the drum and sprocket that are two separate pieces? I was not able to find this setup online offered for that saw. should I check with my local stihl dealer or do you know where I can source one? Thanks much. Shawn

Hello
Take a look at this ebay auction

While you should not need the entire clutch it does show the rim sprocket. The ring at the left bottom of the picture is the sprocket that you can change to 325.
The IPL lists a conversion kit for spur sprocket to a rim style but it only lists it for 3/8".

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil. my concern is that a sprocket to fit that unit in .325 is not available. Does any one know which sprockets are interchangeable. I have no idea if they are universal or where the sizes change? I can get a sprocket for my
290 or my 260 pro but will either fit on the drum unit for an 038? ID is my basic concern. Thanks

From what I can find in the Chains, Bars and Accessories catalog there is a rim sprocket available for the MS460 that suits 325 chain so it should fit the 038 but the catalogue only lists 3/8 for the 038. If you like I can check my own saws and see if the rim off an MS460 will fit on the 038. It will be a few hours before I can check though.

Regards

Phil

I would be thinking about changing over everything else to 3/8th if I were you. The .325 is good for saws that don't have much power, but is junk on anything that has a little grunt to it.

True Niko... but I agree with Anthony... move the other saws up to 3/8" as well. Sell off all the .325 stuff, unless you own a tophandle.

Gary

Absolutely true crosscutting or felling, but when ripping fence posts all the quick blokes here use .325 on their 3120's and 084/088/880's with 18" bars, but from what I gather ripping fence posts from large hardwood logs isn't practised over your side of the Pacific.

So to answer the OP's original Q yes, .325 can be used on almost any saw, but what rim # is needed for an 038 I have no idea.

From what I can find in the Chains, Bars and Accessories catalog there is a rim sprocket available for the MS460 that suits 325 chain so it should fit the 038 but the catalogue only lists 3/8 for the 038. If you like I can check my own saws and see if the rim off an MS460 will fit on the 038. It will be a few hours before I can check though.

Regards

Phil
Thank you Phil, that would be much appreciated.

Does your 038 have a rim or spur sprocket? I also had the same problem when I got my 038mag. I only had .325 .063 bars for my stihls at that time. I got a 325/ 9 tooth rim sprocket and ran 18" and 20" B&C on my 038 and it was very fast and I didnt notice the difference.

Check this out:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF+13624&catID=262

edit:Baileys even gives a stihl part # in the ad so you could order one from the local stihl dealer also.

Last edited:
Glad to see you have it sorted. I did check and the sprocket takes the same rims as the 034-MS360 and the 044-MS441 so there is plenty available:) Part number for the 3/8 rim sprocket kit to suit an 038 is 1119 007 1003. I could not find a part number for just the clutch drum. Maybe baileys could help or ask at your Stihl dealer.

Regards

Phil

Latest posts

Back