Is it safe to fell live oaks during wilt season?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it safe to fell live oaks during wilt season?

• Total voters
I said yes but that comes at a condition. If you grind the stump 6" below the ground, clean it up, and cover it with dirt, it is safe.

Now I don't have an Oak wilt problem in my area but from all of my reading this is what I've learned. We have a bad dutch Elm disease problem around here and are required to do the stumps this way. I treat Oaks the same way regardless of disease problems in my area.

Thanks guys! Contrary to Poll results, looks like all commenters are in agreement. It may be possible to attribute different poll responses to the conditions pointed out. I'm glad I asked and appreciate the insights. I'll forgo felling without grinding or, at least burying the stumps, until safe season. :)

You also want to make sure not to damage surrounding trees. Knocking limbs off or skinning bark, opens them to wilt disease.

I'm coming to understand better how sensitive this matter is and what's at risk. I'll do my best to limit tree work in the canopy and near oaks at ground level to safe season. Am having to make other plans until fall. We're in countdown mode for spring 2018.

Latest posts

Back