Is it time to replace this clutch ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jza

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a stihl 500i I just bought as a part saw and this is the clutch. The holes where the springs sit in look really reemed out .

Would I get away with replacing the springs or is it time for a new clutch?

Attachments

• 20230720_201102.jpg
    20230720_201102.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230720_201504.jpg
    20230720_201504.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I'd run it the way it is...and, see if there's a problem.

Stihl tends to state wear limits for the drum in the service manuals. Maybe, check that before running it.

Roy

Sounds like my best bet is replacing the clutch . I've found another second hand one in good condition so I'll go with that.

Cheers

I guess I’m not seeing the problem. Aren’t those holes normally slightly oblong to better facilitate spring removal/instal?
id be more worried about a rusted spring than those holes giving out anytime soon.

I think they're normally a little oblong, but those look pretty bad to me. I wouldn't be so worried about the holes letting go as I would the chain spinning at low RPM's. As the holes wear it causes the spring to be under less tension since it isn't stretched as far, which lets the clutch shoes move outwards easier, so the chain spins at lower RPM's.

I think they're normally a little oblong, but those look pretty bad to me. I wouldn't be so worried about the holes letting go as I would the chain spinning at low RPM's. As the holes wear it causes the spring to be under less tension since it isn't stretched as far, which lets the clutch shoes move outwards easier, so the chain spins at lower RPM's.
If the chain spins at idle, yea, definitely replace it.

Back