Is it worth it 385XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumper15

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A guy I work with is getting out of the tree business that he has been doing in his off time and is selling his 385XP. I have worked out a deal with him for it mainly cause we work together. Am doing some trading with a little money thrown in. Basically, I'll be out around $300 for a saw 3 or 4 years old with a 28" bar. Saw was used occasionally has the usual scrathes on the plastic and that's it. He brought it to work today so I could see it and hear it run and it runs fine nothing wrong. Do you all think I am getting a good deal on this saw or not? I'm mainly getting it so I won't be using my old 014 AV so much.

Well I checked the serial number and it's an '03 model. It has light scrathes on it and it's in good shape.

It is a good buy if it is in good shape, and is a good saw. The main thing is do you need it? Do you have a use for a saw that big? If not, then only you can decide if it is worth buying something that is overkill for your needs, or that you don't really need.

Heck, it's not overkill unless you don't like an extra couple of pounds and much more power. ;-) If it's in good shape, you'll be able to make money on Ebay if you decide you don't want it, and probably get your money back if it's in bad shape.

Oh I need it...lol I never know what size tree I'll run across and was looking at a new saw anyway and had looked at Stihl 440, 660 and Husqvarna 385, 372. So it's kinda the right timing for me and the best part I have a husky dealer right on my way to work.

thumper15 said:
A guy I work with is getting out of the tree business that he has been doing in his off time and is selling his 385XP. I have worked out a deal with him for it mainly cause we work together. Am doing some trading with a little money thrown in. Basically, I'll be out around $300 for a saw 3 or 4 years old with a 28" bar. Saw was used occasionally has the usual scrathes on the plastic and that's it. He brought it to work today so I could see it and hear it run and it runs fine nothing wrong. Do you all think I am getting a good deal on this saw or not? I'm mainly getting it so I won't be using my old 014 AV so much.
The only serious problem 385's have is the crank bearing on the pto side. If it passes the pres/vac test, buy it. Cheers.

I have always used stihl saws and I know how good they are that's why I got the 041 AV, I got it from a guy I have known since I was a teenager. I was looking at the husqvarna's anyway and since I don't know as much about them or how good they are and how they last this would be cheaper than buying a new one. If I like it fine if I don't fine I'll sell it or trade for an equal size stihl.

Hey Simonizer,

Can I ask your opinion please ?

I am thinking of buying a 395 xp for ripping up logs into lumber. Do you know any thing I should have a heads up on ? What would you buy for chainsaw lumber making on a logosol ?

Thanks

Well I got the saw, getting it for about $300 worth of trade and cash I didn't figure I would get hurt in the deal. First thing I'm doing is taking it to the local Husky dealer and having it checked out and tuned up, put a new chain on it and call it good.

What would you buy for chainsaw lumber making on a logosol

I wouldn't, for about the same money of a big chainsaw and the logosol, you can buy a Norwood Lumberlite 24 bandsaw (with Honda 4 cycle motor) and have a one heck of a lot faster cutting small kerf saw that works very well up to it's capacity!

Norwood sells very good products that work very well and also have excelent customer service. They are made in Canada.

Just a thought,

Rob

Latest posts

Back