Is my scored cylinder usable ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrAlpina

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I bought an old Alpina Prof 45 saw for 10bucks, the ads said the motor was seized.
It wasn't, it was just very hard to turn with the sparkplug on, even when carb and exhaust off. (I'm still not sure why is that, I will deal about that later but if you have any idea ?!)
So I took it appart completly and as you can see the cylinder is scored on top and in between intake and exhaust ports. I don't know if "score" is the approriate term, since it looks like "flakes" of bore falled out.. ?20210816_113941.jpg20210816_113953.jpg
The piston looks fine, slightly shinier on the side of the score but nothing you can feel to the touch.
My question is, for a saw that will have cereal box gasket etc (so not a very clean build) is this cylinder salvageable ? Should I try to smooth the surface with abrasive paper ?
Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm from France.
Thanks in advance for your time and help !

Hi,

i have used a cylinder with chipped plating after smoothing the transition / step. You can give it a go. For 10 dollars you aren’t losing much if it catches a ring you lost just your time.
Thanks for your fast reply !
You are right I'm not really risking mush
How did you smooth the transition ? And should I do it all over the "chip" or just verticaly, where the piston could catch ?

Thanks for your fast reply !
You are right I'm not really risking mush
How did you smooth the transition ? And should I do it all over the "chip" or just verticaly, where the piston could catch ?
I used a sanding drum bit in my dremel. I think just as good would be some 320 grit silicon carbide abrasive paper by hand just to smooth off the step slightly.
Silicone carbide will abrade nikasil or chrome, but you need to just be patient and have a few sheets.
if you search 039 chipped cylinder plating and my name, pictures will probably come up.

Back