SCORED PISTON/CYLINDER ms462???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny540

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong about this... bare with me, I have to give context to everything, I can't help it.

I have a BRAND NEW ms462 from my dealer still in the box from the factory, dealer did not start it at my request as I won't be using it for some time. I have not started the saw either. ZERO use other than the factory test start. At least it appears that it was factory tested because I can see a hint of carbon on exhaust port, some oil residue on piston, and could smell some gas/oil burn-off...

I pulled the muffler cover off to inspect the machine marks on the piston and cross hatching on cylinder to compare to one of my 261's from a few years ago.

I can see dark vertical marks on the piston AND bright silver vertical lines on the cylinder
🤢
🤢
🤢

Has anyone ever seen a BRAND NEW Stihl saw from a legit and very reputable dealer come with piston damage? If this is damaged how could it have passed inspection?

I'll post some pictures. Hopefully my camera will pick up what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• 5AD6CF8F-07B6-488D-8EFD-48004290D3A5.jpeg
    5AD6CF8F-07B6-488D-8EFD-48004290D3A5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 58947802-E737-46C6-9671-E996245D8DCE.jpeg
    58947802-E737-46C6-9671-E996245D8DCE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
That's the best I could get camera to pick up. Piston left Cylinder right

That's the best I could get camera to pick up. Piston left Cylinder right
I did and took many many pics I tried with light through the plug hole, exhaust port and with flash. If I zoom in on the cylinder right pic I can see the lines a little bit but definitely not as good as my eyes.

I'm going to bring it to my dealer today or tomorrow if he's there. The owner is very very knowledgeable and helpful.

Even if the compression is good I still shouldn't have vertical lines on a a brand new saw right?

I did and took many many pics I tried with light through the plug hole, exhaust port and with flash. If I zoom in on the cylinder right pic I can see the lines a little bit but definitely not as good as my eyes.

I'm going to bring it to my dealer today or tomorrow if he's there. The owner is very very knowledgeable and helpful.

Even if the compression is good I still shouldn't have vertical lines on a a brand new saw right?

Could this be oil?

See if it wipes off.

The 046 I have on my bench had a couple streaks like that. I knew it was oil, I had just put the top end back on but in the picture it looks like scoring. Stick a Q tip in there and see if it wipes away.

I'm going to get some bamboo skewers and see if I can feel any roughness. Either way though bring that it's not oil I am not happy with this.

Couldn’t hurt to have the dealer look at it. If it were me I’d be wanting to remove and inspect the cylinder. Obviously not something you wanna do if your going to attempt a warranty claim though.

Dumb? How is looking at a cylinder of a new saw to compare it to one from 2016. I took off the muffler cover only. I will have my dealer look at the same way I am not tear it down. Wouldn't it be good that I actually looked now that there is an area of question?

Stuff comes flawed and is recalled from the factory all the time in all types of equipment and products. Spark plug gap was not within spec either, from the factory.

You know well how everything is mass produced. If I would've ran it and had a failure I would less likely get support. Why be rude? I came here for help and advice and you shoot people down. Thanks for being a helpful. Your input has been very valuable. I wish you were my dealer too. Since your not I would like pay you lots of money to replace the piston and cylinder please, preferably with worn out inferior parts.

Couldn’t hurt to have the dealer look at it. If it were me I’d be wanting to remove and inspect the cylinder. Obviously not something you wanna do if your going to attempt a warranty claim though.
Very true. I'll wait until he is back Monday. Almost everything I've bought has had some sort of defect my entire life.

Very true. I'll wait until he is back Monday. Almost everything I've bought has had some sort of defect my entire life.
Good luck in the contest.

I am the Stihl dealer. Come tell me to take apart a saw you have never run because you looked in the muffler.

If it turns out to be any amount of scoring do you guys think Stihl will swap me out a new saw rather than them dinking around replacing parts since I've never started the saw yet? I don't want to start with a new saw that had to be rebuilt before I used it. I'll end with that as I don't want to take up anymore of anyone's time.

I will post what I find out. Hopefully I can wipe those marks off with a bamboo skewer and microfiber cloth rather than having to go back to dealer.

Either way I'll let everybody know. I truly appreciate all of you that we're kind enough to reply and help me out. Hopefully I can provide some help sometime. Thank you ALL!!

Lenny

Take the muffler all the way off so you can see in the port.

Keep in mind that the engine may well have been run by the factory as part of the QA process and/or by the dealer as part of their delivery process. My dealer runs stuff before they hand it to you. (they also tune the carb if applicable).

I have seen engines with only a short running time show what look like very mild scoring on the piston. It's not actually scoring. Some pistons are machined such that there are very fine grooves on the skirts. It's to hold oil. The peaks of those round off a tiny bit, very quickly. It's enough to be visible under the right lighting but you can't feel it. It's not damage, it's normal.

I have a piston that was scored due to low oil here on my desk. It's from a motorcycle which had an oil injection line that was kinked. The scoring is readily apparent to the touch. If yours feels smooth it's ok.

Take the muffler all the way off so you can see in the port.

Keep in mind that the engine may well have been run by the factory as part of the QA process and/or by the dealer as part of their delivery process. My dealer runs stuff before they hand it to you. (they also tune the carb if applicable).

I have seen engines with only a short running time show what look like very mild scoring on the piston. It's not actually scoring. Some pistons are machined such that there are very fine grooves on the skirts. It's to hold oil. The peaks of those round off a tiny bit, very quickly. It's enough to be visible under the right lighting but you can't feel it. It's not damage, it's normal.

I have a piston that was scored due to low oil here on my desk. It's from a motorcycle which had an oil injection line that was kinked. The scoring is readily apparent to the touch. If yours feels smooth it's ok.
Thanks much. The saw was definitely ran at the factory. There is a little bit of gas/oiI residue/burn-off in there. My dealer did not start it. I prefer to start my saws the first time because I use a higher octane mixture, jet them on the fat side and let it warm up a bit more.

I could hear the guy in the shop start my first saw years ago... I cringed when I heard it fire up then almost immediately was smashing on the juice. That saw has been absolutely perfect but I always go way overboard and have my crazy ways how I run my equipment/toys.

I did get some bamboo skewers so I could reach those areas in the cylinder. I cannot feel anything rough although being that is straight back from the exhaust I can't smoothly run the skewer from the side very well if that makes sense.

My dad looked at it too and couldn't feel anything and said it doesn't look like scoring. He's as OCD and a perfectionist like me on this type of stuff too.

My dealer is not back until next week. I have parts to pick up hopefully soon so I'll get his opinion on it but I'm fairly confident it's good.

I also remembered that I've seen marks like that on almost every if not all nikasil plated 2 stroke snowmobile and dirt bike cylinders I've rebuilt over the years. I do know that none of those could be felt with a fingernail or toothpick.

I'm going to rebuild the top end on one of my 261's and I'll be able to compare that better with the jug off.

I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me.

It’s normal. Every new 1 or 2 series stihl looks the same. It’s just a coating or anodizing on the piston
It appears to be so. I just replied to ericm979 that I've seen those marks on almost all, if not all 2 stroke nikasil plated cylinders when doing top end rebuilds on sleds and dirt bikes. I NEVER could feel anything with my fingernail or toothpick. When I remembered that it lifted that stress off.

I have had problems with almost anything I've bought new since I was a in my late teens so I'm always looking over everything I buy. The spark plug was not in spec which is not a huge deal but plagued by being a perfectionist. It's very stressful being the way I am ha ha.

I can't thank everyone enough for taking time to help a stranger and so promptly to do so. If everyone would help each other like this think how much better the world would be???

Just talked with my dealer. Those lines/marks are common and "normal" as long as they cannot be felt. I tried again to see if I could feel anything at all and it feels perfectly smooth.

I think I'm going to give it a rip later today for the first time. I have probably 3 feet of snow still but it's 60 degrees here today. It's strange being this warm and having that amount of snow. Thanks again everyone 🙏🏼.

Latest posts

Back