Is Raker Angle Critical or Just The Height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp Friction

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been using a Dremel rotary tool to take the rakers down .030" below the cutter and checking them with a gauge but have just been estimating the lead-in to the raker's highest point. Is the raker angle important or just the ultimate height of it? Yesterday I finally broke down and ordered a 511AX from Bailey's. Was pretty proud of hand filing but just never seem to get the chains factory new with them. Should I continue using the Dremel for the rakers?

I use a flat file and try to keep it as level and flat as possible. I count strokes to keep them as close as I can. Never have any issue. Mis-filed rakers will cause a chain to cut circles.

I use a flat file and try to keep it as level and flat as possible. I count strokes to keep them as close as I can. Never have any issue. Mis-filed rakers will cause a chain to cut circles.

Not trying to thread jack, but how does mis-filed rakers cause the saw to not cut straight? I'm new to chain sharpening and just want to learn.

Not trying to thread jack, but how does mis-filed rakers cause the saw to not cut straight? I'm new to chain sharpening and just want to learn.

Yes.

Lower rakers will cause a deeper bite. Put half a dozen on one side that are lower, and the cut will arc.
Same thing with one side cutting better than the other, or having a different angle than the other.

Having all the teeth the same length, angle, and with the same raker height is the goal.

The file-O-plate and the Husqvarna roller gizzie both factor in cutter length and angle between teeth for a progressive raker height, where the simple .030 height measurement dosn't.

BobL has a sticky thread on it, that explains everything to the point NASA engineers would be happy with.
It's good stuff!

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote

I take them to height with a Filoplate and then dress the fronts to mimic the factory radius. Just takes a curl of the file to shave off the front square edge.

They seem to cut better that way, but it might just be me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

BobL has a sticky thread on it, that explains everything to the point NASA engineers would be happy with.
It's good stuff!

Stay safe!!
Dingeryote
That is an insult to BobL!

Remember it was NASA "enjunears" that drove the Mars Climate Orbiter into Mars!
Specifically, the flight system software on the Mars Climate Orbiter was written to calculate thruster performance using the metric unit Newtons (N), while the ground crew was entering course correction and thruster data using the Imperial measure Pound-force (lbf). This error has since been known as the metric mixup and has been carefully avoided in all missions since by NASA.[16]

BobL is a lot better than that!

Back