Is that what it says?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If thats an 88' then its the smallest one I've ever seen!!! Brian's right, thats an 026. This guy needs his prescription checked!!!:eek:

I'm sure there's a good explanation...like the guy doesn't have a digi. cam., and didn't bother to look very hard for a good image to snag.

Or maybe the "0" feedback tells it all.

The images are <a href="http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/reviews/2001/stihl/stihl.jpg">stihl.jpg</a>, <a href="http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/reviews/2001/stihl/chainadj.jpg">chainadj.jpg</a>, and <a href="http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/reviews/2001/stihl/bar.jpg">bar.jpg</a> from an (good) article on the 026 at http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/reviews/2001/stihl/trail.htm.

This is much worse than lifting Mike Acres' stuff wholesale.

Glen

I emailed the guy and got this back. Anyone speak Canadian?

----------
Sir I have two Chainsaws: one 026 and one 088.So the auction is for one of her...or I can sell you what model do you want...ok?
So if you want I can sell you at the price that is now ...$560.00..ok?
tell me if that is ok for you....!
Mail me
---------

Last edited:
Doesnt sound to good. I usually never buy anything from someone unless they have a decent amount of feedback. Hopefully no one will get burned on this one.

Glens, what part of the article about the 026 compelled you to label it as "good"? Was it because you enjoyed reading it or was it the apparent lack of bias or hypocrisy as illustrated by the following statements made by the author in this article? "I'm surprised by the fact that so few enthusiast realize that the trails are not self maintaining."," I was recently offered, ok coerced and threatened, into becoming one of those volunteers for a weekend of trail maintenance." Or was it his impressive credentials as an operator of chainsaws such as this statement, "I`ve never used a chainsaw before" or this one, "learn how to use it, and write the review. This was a leap since this is the first item I've ever tested that I didn't ride or put on something that I did ride.". All very good reading, LOL. I think the more likely statement that compelled you label this parp as good is this one,"I hope you enjoy the review because once you recognize the key features and understand some of the engineering that has been poured in the Stihl product line, you'll understand why it is recognized as the best chainsaw on the market. " Here`s another statement packed with info if you can read deeper than the very surface,"...the club will have a chainsaw to help...". Hmmm. wonder where they got the saw from?

This guy raves on and on about the alledged superiority of the Stihl line as if the 026 were representative of every product they make, and as if he knows that no other manufacturer has similar or even better quality levels or more innovative features. I wonder if he has discovered yet that the Intellicarb that he crows about a couple of times in this article is not on his saw? As someone who has operated a chainsaw twice, this article has me ROTFLMAO, but it is exactly what I expect from people who are obsessed with owning a Stihl because Stihl has the best marketing and brand recognition. I suppose that in a way I can understand why many chainsaw nimrods flock to Stihl. Either they are too lazy or incapable of learning what`s best and what`s not and are willing to let their local Stihl dealer tell them. All I can say to that is that these are not our father`s Stihls.

Well Glens, I`ve caught my breath and wiped the tears from my eyes after that laugh so now I`m wondering if you could come up with something even funnier, like an article extolling the virtues of owning an 029?

Russ The clear voice of reason

I like this part.

"The precision work and craftsmanship would make some custom sled builders blush with embarrassment and makes competition green with envy.

Examine the head, the quality of the casting is absolutely perfect. The perfectly cast head is installed into a case that is first assembled, center bored for the crank, and taken apart so the crank is installed perfectly aligned. The manufacturing tolerances are the highest for any saw on the market and ever when compared to snowmobile and motorcycle engines."

and this...

"The Stihl Ematic Oil system also synchronizes the consumption of oil and fuel so you never run out of one or the other. This system also reduces oil consumption for the environmental tree cutter."

good thing they thought of this...

"Adding to the convenience factor, Stihl provides a single tool that can be used to tighten the oil and fuel caps, adjust the chain, remove the filter, and remove all the covers to gain access to the saws vitals. "

I am not bashing Stihl here...just the guy writing the article. He thinks no other saws have these type of features...Where is Otto when we need him??

Russ, you were entertained, weren't you?&nbsp; Isn't that <i>good</i>, and can't an article which does that be termed "good"?&nbsp; Maybe you need to relax a little and enjoy life; are you working too much overtime?

Please don't read things that don't exist into stuff I say and then take it personally, it makes me feel bad.

I've noticed that you often seem to jump too quickly with your "voice of reason" whenever someone says they like Stihl saws.&nbsp; Just because someone likes Stihl doesn't mean they are a fanatic or that they hate everything else or love everything Stihl makes.&nbsp; And not everyone who happens to prefer Stihl does so because of any marketing hype they may have read - it might be in spite of it.

What mental images are supposed to be conjured by "Turbo" or "Air Injection"?&nbsp; Certainly not anything that matches what's actually going on with the good filtration mechanism Elux employs.&nbsp; I wouldn't be surprised if as a result the airbox actually went just slightly negative instead of any positive.&nbsp; Does the marketing department being stupid with terminology make the equipment any more or less capable?&nbsp; No.&nbsp; It's just embarrassing, and that's all.

Nevertheless, my point was that the eBay seller pilfered the images and is holding them up to be <i>his</i> (different model) saw.&nbsp; What I find even more surprising is the size of the bids - about six hundred bucks last I looked.

Glen

You`re right Glen, I was entertained and it was good. I like to use my "voice of reason" with Stihlheads because it`s usually pretty easy to get a live one, LOL. Most Stihl owners are fanatical and very proud of themselves for owning one. I am one of the few who own Stihls in spite of the marketing hype.

BTW, I don`t know if you are flattering yourself or taking unnecessary guilt on yourself if you think I am taking any of this personally. You will have to decide for yourself.

So am I to understand that you are embarrassed by the terms "Turbo" and "Air Injection" as applied to chainsaws? I should relax?

I`m wondering how you have come to the conclusion that the airbox goes slightly negative on Elux saws? Is that the real reason the filters stay so clean compared to everything else on the market? The particles are actually sucked away from the filter element? The principal of cyclonic cleaning is just a myth then and the flywheel blades are not actually causing an outward movement of air. I`m really confused now though because after reading your reply I went out and checked every saw I own, including Stihls and Solos, and they all have the same basic pitch to the fins. I`m laughing as I type this, laugh with me, OK?

I got your main point, it was pretty clear, but you actually missed the point of my "clear voice of reason". Has it occurred to you that if I were to say something like that about myself that it could be tongue in cheek. I have enjoyed your response and it gave me a forum to pompously pontificate. Thanks Glen.

Russ the riling up wrangler

Sir I have two Chainsaws: one 026 and one 088.So the auction is for one of her...or I can sell you what model do you want...ok?/
Sounds like a Canadian translation of Romanian?

Russ,

I'm a Stihl owner for absolutely no marketing-hype-reason whatsoever.&nbsp; I'd possibly be a Husky owner if they had a presence here (I understand Home Depot bought out the local farm supply store for their property on the south side of town, so there might be hope yet).

Of the two choices you offer, I guess it's unnecessary guilt.

Don't you find the terms "Turbo" and "Air Injection" even slightly embarrassing?&nbsp; They are not mechanisms for pressurizing the airbox, are they?&nbsp; If they are then I'm at a loss for understanding the centrifugal mechanism employed.&nbsp;

I don't recall coming to the conclusion that the airbox is under a negative pressure from the mechanism; it was more of a suggestion of the possibility.&nbsp; It would be interesting to take one of the saws with an airbox cover separate from the saw top cover, drop a heavy paper panel alongside the carb to isolate the end of the air tube, and see whether smoke is drawn into the passageway, blown away from it, or remains stagnant, while the saw is running.

Do you really want me to explain why I think it's possible the result could be (totally apart from the engine intake) a slightly negative pressure?

Russ, I guess I have a hard time sometimes deciding whether you're just funnin' or not.&nbsp; But you can know it doesn't rile me up in any event.

Glen

Hi Glens,

Decided to do a "redneck" bench test with the air injection on my 372.

The saw warmed up a couple minutes with the filter shroud in place.Saw was very responsive to throddle and did not smoke from muffler.

I then shut the saw off and removed the filter.Taking a moist paper towel I place it in the lower left air inlet beneath the carb,carefull to avoid linkage,and replaced the filter and cover.The saw was did not respond as well to light throddle,seemed to labor slightly.Noticeable also was some blue smoke coming from the muffler,fuel mixture did not ignite as well with the air inlet blocked.

This was a very brief test in duration,did not want to damage my saw.I've concluded there is positive air flow into the filter housing from the blocked air inlet,which is increased by carb vacuum.

Rick

Last edited:
I emailed the guy and asked him WHY he had a pic of an 026 and he replied that it was NOT an 026 but an 088!!!! this guy must be a Rock Monster or something!!!!:eek:

Hi Rick,

Thanks for trying!&nbsp; I guess I should flesh out my idea a little, though, as I don't think you quite tried what I had in mind.

I was thinking that if the airbox cover were removed (but with the engine top cover still in place to both provide the normal airflow through the system and to prevent any stray turbulence from messing with the test) then with some cardboard or something as a baffle, ensure that the carb itself (taking in air) would not influence the test, then (leaving the airbox cover off) take a cigarette or some other smoldering thing and see if smoke from it would be drawn down into the air inlet tube, or whether air flow from the tube would blow the smoke clear, or if maybe the smoke would just sit there and do nothing.&nbsp; Could I get you to try it <i>that</i> way?

It sounds to me like what you did was choke the engine by blocking the air tube and closing the airbox as well.&nbsp; With what I have in mind the engine would get a full complement of intake air at all times.
<hr>
Ryan,

Do you think we should inform the seller that the guy that wrote that trail-clearing article is using the seller's 088 pics and is claiming they're of an 026?

Glen

Glens,

I'll give it a try later today.Seems we're after the same conclusion,I just went about it in a different way.

I see a lot of eBay policy violations with chain saw auctions.
Someone usually has to complain or they just continue.A person would have to be a chronic complainer because the violations will never end.

Rick

I've been called and emailed by eBay for a couple policy violations.
Violations were corrected and the auctions were allowed to continue.

Notice a number of saws listed with a title "Not Husqvarna Stihl" or "Not Stihl Poulan" etc.A eBay listing violation.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/title.html

Glens,

Covered 2/3 of my air filter with tape on sides located near air inlet.Used a stick of incense(longer)to place next to the inlet.Smoke would diffuse and was difficult to see.What I did notice was ash from the incense flying up around and over the taped side of filter.This would indicate,to me,positive air flow.

It smelled good too!

Rick

Thanks, Rick.&nbsp; I'd have guessed very slightly negative flow (almost imperceptible) because anything else would have seemed to allow for "pumping" dust in.

Glen

Back