Is there a better way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warren89

Warren89

ArboristSite Lurker
I'm just posting this in hopes that I might get some outside help. We were contracted to remove this tree and trim some others. The biggest problem is that it's in the middle of a tar parking lot and I'm not sure of the tars durability. I've pieced down as much as I dare with out cause damage. The tree had no foliage but it was surprisingly still very heavy, sturdy wood. My idea is to "control fell" the tree using a line to direct it (blue) and a line to control its fall (yellow). I'm going to notch and back cut it where I indicated in the picture. It'll be done by the time I check back but I'd still like some fresh ideas on how else to do this. And I know I could lower it in chunks but this way seems more efficient and easier on the ropes given that it's mostly a static load. Thanks in advance for the advise.IMG_20150728_103836.jpg IMG_20150728_103912.jpg IMG_20150728_104002.jpg

Warren89

Warren89

ArboristSite Lurker
Well other then my chainsaw happy:chainsaw: ground man cutting the notch off, it went well. The wood swung to the heavy side and we lowered it nice and slow.

Attachments

• IMG_20150728_110655.jpg
    IMG_20150728_110655.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
old_soul

old_soul

ArboristSite Operative
yes there is, block and port a wrap to control the friction. that 15" spar could rope it off in 3 or 4 sections with one ground man also the double leads at the top could be roped off each other to lessen weight and height.

glad it turned out well for you

Warren89

Warren89

ArboristSite Lurker
I did use a port-a-wrap for wraps on the lowering line. I used a crotch in place of a rope. I could've lowered it in pieces just thought it would take less time this way. I've thought about getting a rubber shop mat to place over the tar. Has anyone ever tried that

Warren89

Warren89

ArboristSite Lurker
That's actually a great idea. I often find my self in this same position, meaning a tree with no drop zones other then the tar, and it really sucks. Especially when there's no tree to rope to like I did today. So I really appreciate the input. It'll definitely help me in the future.

Latest posts