Is there a better way?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm just posting this in hopes that I might get some outside help. We were contracted to remove this tree and trim some others. The biggest problem is that it's in the middle of a tar parking lot and I'm not sure of the tars durability. I've pieced down as much as I dare with out cause damage. The tree had no foliage but it was surprisingly still very heavy, sturdy wood. My idea is to "control fell" the tree using a line to direct it (blue) and a line to control its fall (yellow). I'm going to notch and back cut it where I indicated in the picture. It'll be done by the time I check back but I'd still like some fresh ideas on how else to do this. And I know I could lower it in chunks but this way seems more efficient and easier on the ropes given that it's mostly a static load. Thanks in advance for the advise.IMG_20150728_103836.jpg IMG_20150728_103912.jpg IMG_20150728_104002.jpg

Well other then my chainsaw happy:chainsaw: ground man cutting the notch off, it went well. The wood swung to the heavy side and we lowered it nice and slow.

Attachments

• IMG_20150728_110655.jpg
    IMG_20150728_110655.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 42
yes there is, block and port a wrap to control the friction. that 15" spar could rope it off in 3 or 4 sections with one ground man also the double leads at the top could be roped off each other to lessen weight and height.

glad it turned out well for you

I did use a port-a-wrap for wraps on the lowering line. I used a crotch in place of a rope. I could've lowered it in pieces just thought it would take less time this way. I've thought about getting a rubber shop mat to place over the tar. Has anyone ever tried that

That's actually a great idea. I often find my self in this same position, meaning a tree with no drop zones other then the tar, and it really sucks. Especially when there's no tree to rope to like I did today. So I really appreciate the input. It'll definitely help me in the future.

Latest posts

Back