Is there anyone willing to try this one out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy up the road has used one for years... He also tore a thumb off with it.

I'll pass...

They've been around for a looooonnnnnnngggggg time. For some reason people keep buying them. I'll take the good ole hyd. splitter.

I'd take one of those over this thing.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bVAAx3mMKY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2bVAAx3mMKY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

my BIL has a similar thing on the back of his ole 8n (I think)

It chomps um up. Just don't let Darwin catch you looking away.

Fred

I know a good use for one of them you could paint it orange and use it for a road cone. then when somebody runs your cones over thed get asuprise.lol

I'll play the devil's advocate....I've got one and it works just fine. Of course, you can't use it on stringy wood or short pieces but other than that, it coudn't work better. Common sense helps too...no long hair, loose clothing or gloves while working around rotating equipment.

Those screw splitters have been around for at least 30 years. We sold lots of them in the late 70's early 80's...Bob

A guy my dad works with has an even more dangerous setup. It's basically a big rim that acts as a flywheel with a splitting wedge welded to it. He sticks it on a vehicle and gets 'er spinning, then you shove a chunk of wood next to it, wait for the wedge to come 'round, and watch the hell out. Never seen anything like it. If I remember right, my uncle had one of those screw things, but I don't remember him ever using it. Not worth it - hand splitting really isn't all that bad once you learn proper techniques.

We had a different version back in the late 70's. I believe it was called a Unicorn. It mounted on the back of a small utility tractor and worked off the PTO obviously. It had a frame and a cross piece you would rest the wood on and "feed" it onto the spike. As previously noted, it wasn't good for stringy wood. If you got a piece on it stuck, it was a b@#*% to get it back off. It also had a tendancy to pull a glove off now and then and you had to be very careful of hooded sweatshirt strings, etc. Also lots of jammed fingers and bruised hands if you didn't seat the wood just right or the piece would flip as it hit a knot or crooked grain. As bad as it sounds, we split many cords of firewood that way before we decided that we were on borrowed time before someone was seriously injured. We kept it in a barn and sold it a couple years ago in an auction. People who bought it were thrilled--just hope they were careful.

We had a different version back in the late 70's. I believe it was called a Unicorn. It mounted on the back of a small utility tractor and worked off the PTO obviously. It had a frame and a cross piece you would rest the wood on and "feed" it onto the spike. As previously noted, it wasn't good for stringy wood. If you got a piece on it stuck, it was a b@#*% to get it back off. It also had a tendancy to pull a glove off now and then and you had to be very careful of hooded sweatshirt strings, etc. Also lots of jammed fingers and bruised hands if you didn't seat the wood just right or the piece would flip as it hit a knot or crooked grain. As bad as it sounds, we split many cords of firewood that way before we decided that we were on borrowed time before someone was seriously injured. We kept it in a barn and sold it a couple years ago in an auction. People who bought it were thrilled--just hope they were careful.

I used a similar rig that runs off of the PTO of a tractor, and your description pretty well sums up my experience as well. I exhausted my enthusiasm for it after just one session.

Another disadvantage is that with most hydraulic splitters you can just roll a big piece under the ram and you’re ready to go. With the tractor mounted job you had to pick up the wood and set it on the frame to be split. With a large pile of big pieces that can get old pretty quick.

I'll stick to the old way of doing it... I'm afraid I'll hurt my back taking the tire off and on.

Latest posts

Back