Is there recreational tree climbing in the UK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I don't here of recreational tree climbing in the UK. Is this beacuse we don't have such animals as redwoods? or is it underground? Very interested can any one enlighten me?

There is most definitely rec climbing in UK. Try Googling the subject you'll find a few different web sites offering climbing classes and guided rec climbs.

There are a few places in the UK. I know there is one place in South Wales and another in the South of England, but there are probably lots more.

Organised rec tree climbing is starting to come in. Most places will charge you 110 quid for a day its becoming increasing popular for team building exercises apparently. There's an artical on it in EuroArb at the moment.

rec climbing u.k.

Hello there mr Brushcutter Im just In the process of trying to find out the legal and insurance implications of just such a venture but im not having a great deal of sucess . :deadhorse: As soon as you mention tree climbing a shutter comes down . Im going to talk to a guy whos already operating as a rec climber to see if he can/will give any pointers on whats required . im curious to see about climbing standards required , you can bet when the n.p.t.c. see the gap they'll try to fill it (youll need a ticket to mash the tea soon) . Ive been in touch with some rec climbing outfits stateside but ive not had any feed back as yet . I believe there n.p.t.c. equivilant is called a.n.s.i. but there are also some standards and training for rec climbing put in place by independant climbing orgs . Im also trying to find out about that but again with little sucess

Have you tried phoning up Trust Insurance or Algarve they insure the arb and forestry sectors so they might be a good place to start. Also what about people who insure rock climbers and indoor climbing walls.

As for climbing standards i'd expect you'd have to be a qualifeid NPTC assessor to teach the people and have another person comptent in areial rescue present as well.

The hardest thing to do will be to find a safe place to climb, parks are great but getting permission can be hard i managed in a local park because i have the NPTC and that won them over. I currently use a patch of ancient woodland near my house don't have permission though. If you were to have your climbing trees all risk assessed with resistorgraphs and followed CS38.1 course guide as a basis for your course i think you'll be going in the right direction.

I can tell you that its proably going to be very popular since i've been climbing i've had about 10 people i know interested in comming climbing with me.

u.k. rec climbing

Hello there mr Brushcutter , Yes I'l look into that climbing wall angle as regard's the insurance cover . On the subject of standard's though i honestly dont agree with the need to be a n.p.t.c. assesor as i would only be providing a basic tree climbing experience ,not assesing them . I looked into n.p.t.c. instructor status for climbing but you have to do all the chainsaw instuctors course's first and i dont want to teach chainsaw's just climbing . that's just what the world need's another chainsaw assesor !. Give the n.p.t.c. time and they'l come up with there own rec climbing course if they think theres a few bob to be made or am i just being cynical ? , you'll need one to make the tea soon !!! . ;)

Latest posts

Back