Is there supposed to be an O-ring on the output side of a 361 oil pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kong

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I put a replacement oil pump in my 361 this afternoon and took it out and fired it up. This has nothing to do with the oil pump, but it fired up and ran fine on the third pull at eleven degrees,

Anyway I put the pump in and ran the saw with no bar/chain and after a few moments oil appeared at the outlet and the flow rate obviously increased with engine RPM. I felt satisfied and put the bar and chain back on. Then I fired the saw back up just for a final check and waited for oil to reach the chain in sufficient quantity to spin off the tip at high RPM.

So I kept zapping the engine for a minute or two waiting for it to oil and I notice that oil is dripping from out of the bottom chain cover. So its pumping oil but its coming out the bottom, not making it up to the bar. The passage shouldn't't be clogged because I saw it pump oil earlier - so I'm thinking maybe there should have been a sealing O-ring on the outlet side of the pump so that the flow can't bleed off but instead be directed up the passage. Is there such a thing or do I just need to get in there and be more particular in my parts cleaning?

On Edit: Yes, I did clean both the groove in the guide bar and the passageway between the oiling hole and the groove as well - I'm real fussy about keeping that passage clean and I'm reasonably certain its not obstructed.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have said it more plain. There is a lot of oil dribbling out the bottom and not a drop getting to the chain, its anything but normal.

Ah Ha! Thanks, what is what I was wondering. I didn't remember seeing a seal when I took it apart and there was no groove or other indication one had been in there. I'll pick up the part in the morning. Thanks much for the part number!

Back