Is this a design flaw on Stihl saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ran a 441 for the first time and was generally impressed.

Why do they put the decompression valve on the wrong side of the saw? On my Dolmar 7900 the decompression is on the side of the starter cord. This makes it easy to press with the same thumb holding the cord. I usually have to push it in again after the saw pops. On the 441 I had to reach to the other side of the saw.

Is this a design flaw?

You could also use your fingers of your left hand which is always on the saw anyway....:sucks:

Next complaint is going to be the colour of the decomp button I reckon.

Absolutely a flaw.

It's a German saw.
The comp release should be near the choke/ ignition switch, and have 30' of linkages wrapped around the jug and through the plastic casing, with LOTS of springs.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I guess I could be remembering wrong, but I can't remember seeing a stihl or husky with a decomp not being out the top or out the clutch side.

Absolutely a flaw.

It's a German saw.
The comp release should be near the choke/ ignition switch, and have 30' of linkages wrapped around the jug and through the plastic casing, with LOTS of springs.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ahh, but there's a few Japanese engineers at Dolmar these days too and they obviously believe in KISS :D

Ahh, but there's a few Japanese engineers at Dolmar these days too and they obviously believe in KISS :D

Give 'em time. Couple of Oktoberfests and they'll marry some 6'6" big bosomed Helga, who's family has made springs and wire linkages since they got the Foke Wulf190 contract...then the decomp will be where it belongs.

Everything German is just one Schnitzel and Streudel away from a Cuckoo clock in complexity.

Old Man Stihl was a renegade.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I ran a 441 for the first time and was generally impressed.

Why do they put the decompression valve on the wrong side of the saw? On my Dolmar 7900 the decompression is on the side of the starter cord. This makes it easy to press with the same thumb holding the cord. I usually have to push it in again after the saw pops. On the 441 I had to reach to the other side of the saw.

Is this a design flaw?

If you follow the directions in the owners manual you will see that it is in a logical position. According to the manual you are supposed to put the saw on the ground put your right foot in the rear handle, put your left hand on the front handle and use your right hand to pull start the saw. Thus the decomp is in a perfect position for your left hand.

Like some have said, I also never use the decomp even on my 090:)

Regards

Phil

If you follow the directions in the owners manual you will see that it is in a logical position. According to the manual you are supposed to put the saw on the ground put your right foot in the rear handle, put your left hand on the front handle and use your right hand to pull start the saw. Thus the decomp is in a perfect position for your left hand.

Like some have said, I also never use the decomp even on my 090:)

Regards

Phil

The first start from cold I always start on the ground. No big deal to have the decomp valve on the opposite side as the starter. Yes it is an extra step to push with your left hand but not noticeable.

If you watch the safety video from husky they suggest a perfectly safe way to start the saw by placing your right leg over the rear handle to stabilize the saw. THEN the left hand is holding the handle to stabilize the saw which makes it difficult to hit the valve. If your starting and stopping a lot it is a PITA to reach over with the left hand to hit the decomp valve when starting the saw in the standing position. I just found it awkward to reach over. On the dolmar I do not even have to think about it. My thumb on my right hand is in the perfect position to push the valve just before starting.

Ergonomic Design flaw? :confused::confused::confused:

Latest posts

Back