Is this a good place for a rant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a buisness man by any means. Heck, I'm not a wood carver either for that matter. I'm an Engineer, and I follow some pretty simple logic. I don't have any problems telling someone "NO." It doesn't mean that I'm mad at them, or that they have offended me. They just asked me a question and the answer happend to be no. Can you get the job done; Will I do a job for 30% less; Can the job be done in 2 days? All of these questions have a very specific answer, and depending on what the job is the answer may be yes, or may be no. Some people take my answer for what it is. It's just an answer to the question that was asked. Some people get a look on their face like I just shot their favorite cat, and thinking of that makes me smile ;) Seriously though, there are all kinds of people in the world, and if you're going to deal with the general public, some thick skin would be a good investement. Most folks can't do what you guys do, and have no idea what kind of time and money it takes to get as good as you are, or what it actually takes to do the jobs they are asking you to do. They don't know what the going price is for the lumber, nore do they realize how many manhours it takes to do the work, or what kind of equipment (or the cost of that equipment) it takes to do the work. At best, they might know a guy who does this stuff as a hobby and they figure if he can do it, then it must not take that much. In our current world of fast food and walmart's, it's hard to find much appreciation for a job well done.

I'm not trying to tell you to lighten up. I'm simply suggesting a different perspective so that someone else's ignorance doesn't ruin YOUR day so much. Their ignorance just isn't worth it.

That's my 2 bits anyway,
Mark

I agree

I'm simply suggesting a different perspective so that someone else's ignorance doesn't ruin YOUR day so much. Their ignorance just isn't worth it.

You've offered good advice but there is a reason I'm happy working alone at the back of the property. Mostly because there is a limit to how many times I can shoo a mosquito away before I want to smack it.

When a customer pushes me hard enough, I do get some enjoyment from saying things like "This isn't Wal-mart." or "You should make one that way." My real favorite is, "I'll do it for that price if you bring a cured log to my carving area."

I can relate to that very much, and I tend to do the same thing. I'll argue my point, but at the end of the day if "they" tell me to do it a certain way, I will do it EXACTLY they way "they" tell me to. The results NEVER fail to put a smile on my face. ;)

Latest posts

Back