Is this a ring snag, or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustmaker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a Pro Mac 850 that a freind of mine bought new in '77. It has alot of sentimental value to him. but it locked up on him. so now i have to find a pm850 p/c for it. but what caused this?
IMG_2725.jpg

Or is that a huge groove in the piston deeper than the ring groove? Still doesn't look like ring snag to me. May have something to do with all the carbon too. Reguardless, I don't think that cylinder will live to run another day anyway.

Looks like it does have a deep groove in it. What does the top of the piston look like?

If you love something never loan it out..especially anything two stroked.
as for getting it to release the jug? Might take an old sparkplug and knock the porcelain out and weld in a grease zerk. and pump it full . Note the will only move it to below the highest port.

I have a loaner saw just for that, a beater MS250. Don't care if it comes back alive or not, but for the last few years it has survived somehow. Most folks have a weedeater, I just tell them to use that fuel.

McCullochs of that vintage are unit construction, or "clamshell" designs. No separate cylinder. 850 crankcases go for high dollar.

I would say you have a pretty slim chance of getting it apart.After saying that,here is what I might try.Carefully use acid in the cylinder to try and weaken or break some of the adhesion points.If this is a clamshell design,as was suggested,drop the pan and see if there is enough clearance to twist the piston in the bore.You might have to pull the bearings to gain enough clearance to turn the crank side to side and get the piston moving in the bore.All in all,a lot of trouble and potentially dangerous, but I know you are familiar with using the acid and will work out a safe plan.Once you get it (the piston) moving a bit,even just side to side,you have a chance of getting it out.Good luck and be safe,take it slow if you try this.

I would tell your friend that he needs to find a parts saw with a good engine. If it's worth a lot to him, that would be an easy fix.

Getting it apart is no problem. Take the saw all the way down and pull the crank. You will be left with the top half of the cylinder/crankcase. Cut the top off the cylinder of and drive the piston and rod assembly out. Most likely the cylinder is gone so I would not worry about hurting it. The saw could have had a cracked intake boot and caused the lean run.

Good luck finding a P&C for an 850! The last parts saw that came up on feebay went for $255. I've been looking for one for a few months now without any luck. Bob in NY might have a P&C for $200 or so.

Back