Is this birch tree in trouble?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Patrick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have about a 35 ft. tall birch tree (cinnamon birch, I believe) that is losing leaves now. They are turning yellow, then falling off. Recently we had a new water line put in that entailed digging a pit about 15 feet from the trunk of the tree to a depth of about 6 feet. There were some roots of this tree that were cut off to accomodate this hole. Do you think that it is going through some kind of shock, or is the tree in more trouble than that. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mike,
Any time you sever roots on a mature tree you cause trouble. To what extent the tree will tell you and now it is saying I can not get enough moisture to keep my leaves so good-bye leaves.

Now will this kill your tree---NO---will this impact your trees health---YES---. Stress is accumulative, so as the summer drought continues thats more stress. When there is a point the stress starts to signal pests that the tree is in trouble you'll see borers.

All that said now you have increased your obligations to that tree. You'll need to water CORRECTLLY, mulch properly, and possible treat pests. The best approach now is to watch for signs of failing health or recovery.

Latest posts

Back