Is this cylinder any good??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjnspecial

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What do you think? It's smooth, no scoring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd put some light oil on some 400 grit sandpaper and give it a light sanding, then run it. Wouldn't recommend a ball hone because it may damage the Nikosil / chrome lining.

roostersgt,I've been using a ball hone on saw cylinders for almost 30 years,they work good. They put a nice finish on fairly quick compared to sandpaper,and you would have to hone a long time to wear thru the chrome or nikasil,lots of people use them,Baileys sells them too. Like anything you have to exercise reasonable care. I guess everyone has their own preferred methods.
I think your caution is warranted,also I've found that nikasil is easier to wear thru than chrome.

roostersgt,I've been using a ball hone on saw cylinders for almost 30 years,they work good. They put a nice finish on fairly quick compared to sandpaper,and you would have to hone a long time to wear thru the chrome or nikasil,lots of people use them,Baileys sells them too. Like anything you have to exercise reasonable care. I guess everyone has their own preferred methods.
I think your caution is warranted,also I've found that nikasil is easier to wear thru than chrome.

Didn't mean to question your method. I was only echoing what I've read on here many times. I've not used a hone before on a chainsaw cylinder, so don't really have any experience whether or not they easily damage the linings. I have cleaned up a lot of cyclinders with acid and oily sandpaper though. Your method may even be preferable and less time consuming, if he has a ball hone in the garage.

Many ways to skin a cat,we gotta go with whatever tools we have,I've used your method too and got good results. You actually can hone thru the plating if not careful using any hone.

Sandpaper or emery cloth works just fine.

I was an adamant ball hone man myself back in the late 80's/early 90's until I read a study sponsored by Suzuki.

Their findings were that ball hones knock down the 'high points' of Nikasil plating and effective reduce Nikasil's
ability to hold and retain oil. So they stopped using ball hones.

Latest posts

Back