Is this Mulberry? Wood ID please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnyderServ5060

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A new neighbor a few houses up just bought a house...Really rough place that was left pretty much abandoned for some time due to the previous owners age and health. With that being said you really couldn't see much of the property or back/side yards because the front yard trees and bushes were completely overgrown. The new guy has taken down all of the trees and shrubs in plans to renovate and enlarge the house.

Yesterday I noticed that that the last of the trees was coming down when riding past and the others (mostly oak) had been piled up in the back...figuring I had nothing to lose id stop and ask if they planned to keep the wood or haul it off somewhere. He said that once the house was fixed up he planned to get a wood stove and use the stuff out back but had too much already so I could have the one they were taking down at that time if I wanted it. Fortunately I have a bobcat and was back in 5 minutes with the forks to bring it back home (and save them time cutting it into movable pieces.)

I never had a chance to really see the tree before it was hacked back to the trunk and all. From the color of the wood, the leaves, and amount of water literally dripping out of this freshly cut tree I wanna say Mulberry. However I am not completely sure because the mulberry ive cut down at my house has a slightly different look. The large round in the last picture with the pry bar laying across it shows its size, the pry bar is 3ft. The smallest round is probably 20-24". I cut one piece in half as well to show the inside of the wood. I need to get my splitter out soon it seems. The last 2 pics are of it sitting out in the sun for 1 day so its a little less wet. I can take more pictures if needed!

Thank you!

Attachments

• woodID1.jpg
    woodID1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 190
  • woodID2.jpg
    woodID2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 189
  • woodID3.jpg
    woodID3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 187
  • woodID4.jpg
    woodID4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 182
  • woodID5.jpg
    woodID5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 187
  • woodID6.jpg
    woodID6.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 149
Maybe Mulberry, BUT: When first cut or split, the surface of mulberry is almost yellow. Were these Pics taken right after the bucking? In a few days it will turn orange and in a few weeks it will be deep orange and stay that way as it weathers from the sun and wind. Elm turns gray.

Also, you can split mulberry rounds with an 8-lb maul rather easily when first buck cut to length. Give that a try.

Now, of course, the proof is in the pudding. Mulberry throws sparks like crazy when burned. Elm does not and that's why I prefer burning elm over mulberry. Mulberry frightens LOML whenever she loads it into the stove. The existing fire, if it already contains burning mulberry, is a bit unpredictable in its release of sparks.

Agree with Siberian elm. I got one last year from the tree service, also bagged a mulberry, the two are similar but yes, the mulberry has a deeper color.

There ain't no mistaking those leaves... they ain't Mulberry leaves, they're elm leaves.
And there ain't no mistaking the size of those leaves... they're way too small for American, Slippery or Rock Elm.
Those small leaves, thick and rough bark, course growth rings and dark, wet heartwood (that will lighten as it drys) all scream Siberian Elm‼

Thanks all for the replies! It's gotta be elm like mentioned by many of you... after cutting into more of it and comparing it to a few rounds of mulberry I have here (which I know was because it kept dropping berries on my cars) its different. Its color is dark in some ways like the mulberry which is why I said that but once I got inside of it its not that yellow orange color. Leaves do kinda look similar but once I googled elm leaves I can see it clearly. To those who asked the tree was just cut down the day I got it and delimbed that day as well.
Hey after all it was free and only a few houses away so maybe $5 in bobcat diesel I am not complaining. Plus it was a way to meet a new neighbor and get to know each other. Looks like I will cut them all down into rounds and let them dry out some and split them in time as they are still dripping wet!
Thanks again

Mulberry is not dripping wet mostly. Elm, on the other hand- depending type, will squirt sap when split at times. Gives rise to the local name of Piss Elm- also the scent of fresh split of this particular type.

Once that bark starts falling off in its own, elm will be much easier to split and not nearly as stringy. Splitting green elm or green cottonwood is no picnic. All the elm that I cut green back in the spring is now splitting nicely and will dry quickly once split. At first it looks wet when split, but one week in the sun and wind and it turns bone dry. Worth waiting for, to say the least.

That is mulberry....i cut and burn alot of it...heartwood is very yellow when green seasons out much darker...very good burning wood....i prefer it over oak

Back