Is this mulberry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture of a berry from the tree and a leaf would help. Mulberry leaves are very LARGE green and heart shaped even on the small trees, like a big valentine heart shape. most of the leaves turn yellow in the fall, instead of brown when they fall from the tree. When walking through the woods in fall and you see big yellow leaves on the ground, look around and you will immediately ID the Mulberry tree, it's shape and bark just looks different from the other trees.
Eat some of the berries from the tree and see if they taste good. If they don't taste good when black ripe it's not a Mulberry berry.

Don't do this BEFORE you eat any of the Berries, because it makes them harder to chew and swallow.
Look very carefully at a ripe Mulberry and you will see itty bitty white worms crawling around on the berry. You have to look very close and carefully. I suspect the little worms are what gives it a good taste.

Mulberry tree bark shape varies quite a bit from young to old tree. You can review Mulberry on-line also/\.
Here is a link to view the different types of bark shape.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=pictu...ANNTH1&refig=4adab3d4fb874bc0a6987e1a23880624

I've got a mulberry tree in the yard here that produces some fantastic berries in the summer. When we were excavating for the addition to my barn, we hit all its roots - they were really yellow in color under the bark. Same for the branches I have to cut back every year. Nothing else like it in this neck of the woods. VERY yellow.
the Romanians/Hungarians use mulberry wooden barrels to age distilled fruit wine. They call it Palenka. The mulberry gives it a yellow tinge of color and mellows the high test drink. Would love to make a project of making a mini mulberry 5 gallon barrel.

the Romanians/Hungarians use mulberry wooden barrels to age distilled fruit wine. They call it Palenka. The mulberry gives it a yellow tinge of color and mellows the high test drink. Would love to make a project of making a mini mulberry 5 gallon barrel.
Or just out a stick of mulberry in the bottle.

Here you are my friend
Mulberry has smooth bark. Not notchy like that.
That almost looks like ironwood but certainly not elm. Not with that dark brown core. How big/tall/mature was/is it? Ironwood is rare anymore. But not unheard of.

Those are ironwood. I am not sure what iron wood looks like inside. It’s been YEARS since the one ironwood I know I cut.
But I know elm doesn’t have a dark brown core.
Unless maybe it had a virus...
But then you would know because it would be wearing a mask 😷...

Attachments

• 058B22B3-09FB-4166-9A6C-F48AA08C6D33.jpeg
    058B22B3-09FB-4166-9A6C-F48AA08C6D33.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FA6E4BCB-DEF6-4A7A-83E9-D9E1BA2C2246.png
    FA6E4BCB-DEF6-4A7A-83E9-D9E1BA2C2246.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
That almost looks like ironwood but certainly not elm. Not with that dark brown core. How big/tall/mature was/is it? Ironwood is rare anymore. But not unheard of.
It was about 25 ft tall with about 3 large out reached limbs. I just fell another just like it but with a trunk 5 times the size as the first. Easily 48in across.

Attachments

• 20220128_154459.jpg
    20220128_154459.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
Hey guys this is my first year scouring for firewood to sell and I really don't know alot about identifying all my local trees. I think I have oak figured out and osage is clear as day but I'm not sure if this is mulberry or?
Find leaves around the trunk (base) and match to a tree identifier book. We always start the ID task with leaves, then winter twig formation, then flower or catkin in the springtime, then fruit or nut pod in the fall and lastly the bark. The bark is like a dog…you can’t tell what the dog is trying to say!

I just learned my parents have an iron oak tree in their front yard its massive for its type at over 100ft tall and apparently we have over 10 hybrid versions of it here in Oklahoma. I'm still saying its a northern red oak.

Find leaves around the trunk (base) and match to a tree identifier book. We always start the ID task with leaves, then winter twig formation, then flower or catkin in the springtime, then fruit or nut pod in the fall and lastly the bark. The bark is like a dog…you can’t tell what the dog is trying to say!
It was a standing dead tree so that may be difficult to do

The last Grey Elm I slabbed had a dark center like that. The tree had uprooted and fell over, so maybe it had some disease. As it dried over 4-5 years, the sapwood got a little darker and the heart got lighter.
Yea this is doing the opposite where the heart is getting darker as it dries. It has a very strong smoky smell to it as well I've seen some hickory trees look like it as well.

Attachments

• 20220131_105123.jpg
    20220131_105123.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220131_105127.jpg
    20220131_105127.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220131_105150.jpg
    20220131_105150.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back