Is this normal oak behavior

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskStihl

Chairin'em for the sound
Reaction score
I know I'm a tree idiot, and here's another opportunity for me to prove it. I was deciding whether to remove a large sucker from a good sized water oak. Looking closely at the leaves on the sucker
image.jpg
And I'm thinking, "is this thing I've been calling a water oak actually a red oak"

Looked closely at some leaves in the canopy and they look like this
image.jpg

So I'm like "no it's a water oak like I thought."

Now I know that a water oak is in the red oak family, but is it typical to have such different looking leaves in the same tree? I have a lot of pin oaks, and they have very homogenous leaves, as do the live oaks.

Juvenile leaves can often look very different, seen it in Europe and gums are the same

Hey Husk, I don't think you're a tree idiot, the mature leaves are definitely water oak and tree smith is right, some juvenile leaves are different. I would wager that those leaves in the first pic receive very little direct sunlight. They do look a lot like red oak or black oak. The bark is another way to ID water oaks. It is relatively smooth for a red oak, especially if the tree is growing on good ground, a little rougher in poor soils.

Sucker growth often appears abnormal. Leaves can lose their typical shape and appearance. Futhermore, I have often observed epicormic growth on ash trees lose the opposite branching pattern that is typical of the species.

I've seen that on hacked water oak a few years back. At first I was thinking some crazy sucker grafted a branch on. My poor little groundie brain almost melted.

sent using logic and reason from a device forged of witchcraft.

Back