Is this normal splitter behavior? (Huskee 22T)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120inna55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got this Huskee 22T from TSC. I haven't put fuel in it yet. The only thing I've done so far is put the handle on. (For some reason, TSC doesn't install that, but rather send you home with it in a bag.) Anyways...after installing it with the engine obviously off, pulling the handle down and releasing it, it returns to neutral position as expected. However, if I push the handle up, it "sticks" in that position. Is this normal? Again, I haven't fueled it up, so this behavior is exhibited while it's off. I've used hydraulic splitters many times, but I've never owned one, but I don't remember the handle "sticking" in the up position before. That said, with auto-return, I don't recall having to put the lever in the up position.

I'm assuming that putting the handle in the 'up' position is the retract position. If this is true, it will stay there until the ram retracts all the way. It will then pop back to the neutral position.

BTY: Make SURE you double check ALL hydraulic fittings and all the nuts and bolts before firing it up for the 1st time. Also, double check all fluids (engine and hydraulic oil). Amazing how poorly some are assembled by TSC...

Welcome to AS!

Also, make sure the handle is down (or disengaged) when starting. Otherwise your trying to drive the pump. The one and only time I've loaned out my splitter I learned this was not common knowledge.

Sounds normal though.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that putting the handle in the 'up' position is the retract position.
Ha! Thank you for providing the correct term, "retract." My brain was in vapor lock. Yes, when I put the lever fully into the retract position, I feel it slip into what feels like a gear. I assumed it was normal, but I just wanted some confirmation. In my previous experience with hydraulic splitters, frankly, I don't recall pulling it into retract position. I would use it in vertical 100% of the time. I recall taking care not to bottom it out, then simply let go of the lever and it would retract on its own. While it was doing that, I would either be repositioning the log or tossing the splits onto the pile. This was an operation of 4-5 folks, trading positions as we fatigued. We did this for about 5 trees on "wood day." We were doing it for our annual old fashioned hog killing. After a 30-year tradition, we stopped 2 years ago. Meanwhile, for my own home, I just used an 8 lb maul. I have terrible tendinitis (a result of the manual splitting) so I now have a brand new Huskee 22T which should be adequate for my needs. For all I know, I'm just mis-remembering the whole process---maybe someone was actually pulling back the lever while I was wrestling the log. ;)

...If this is true, it will stay there until the ram retracts all the way. It will then pop back to the neutral position...
Thanks for that assurance.

...BTY: Make SURE you double check ALL hydraulic fittings and all the nuts and bolts before firing it up for the 1st time. Also, double check all fluids (engine and hydraulic oil). Amazing how poorly some are assembled by TSC...
Yep, I've read a lot about that.

While we're on that subject... Keep in mind, while I've used one for years, I've never owned a hydraulic splitter, therefore I know nothing about maintaining one, so I'm researching it to death. The manual unfortunately seems to assume you already know the basics of hydraulic maintenance. Other folks around here that have splitters, don't necessarily know what they're doing. One guy slathers grease on the beam. Common sense would seem to dictate that would just attract dirt and debris contributing to increased wear.

So, another question: Is it normal for me to see air in the clear suction hose? I haven't checked the hydraulic fluid level yet. (Again, I haven't even put gas in it, yet.)

Also, make sure the handle is down (or disengaged) when starting. Otherwise your trying to drive the pump. The one and only time I've loaned out my splitter I learned this was not common knowledge...
Yeah, I left it in the neutral position. Good tip, though.

Ha! Thank you for providing the correct term, "retract." My brain was in vapor lock. Yes, when I put the lever fully into the retract position, I feel it slip into what feels like a gear. I assumed it was normal, but I just wanted some confirmation. In my previous experience with hydraulic splitters, frankly, I don't recall pulling it into retract position. I would use it in vertical 100% of the time. I recall taking care not to bottom it out, then simply let go of the lever and it would retract on its own. While it was doing that, I would either be repositioning the log or tossing the splits onto the pile. This was an operation of 4-5 folks, trading positions as we fatigued. We did this for about 5 trees on "wood day." We were doing it for our annual old fashioned hog killing. After a 30-year tradition, we stopped 2 years ago. Meanwhile, for my own home, I just used an 8 lb maul. I have terrible tendinitis (a result of the manual splitting) so I now have a brand new Huskee 22T which should be adequate for my needs. For all I know, I'm just mis-remembering the whole process---maybe someone was actually pulling back the lever while I was wrestling the log. ;)

Thanks for that assurance.

Yep, I've read a lot about that.

While we're on that subject... Keep in mind, while I've used one for years, I've never owned a hydraulic splitter, therefore I know nothing about maintaining one, so I'm researching it to death. The manual unfortunately seems to assume you already know the basics of hydraulic maintenance. Other folks around here that have splitters, don't necessarily know what they're doing. One guy slathers grease on the beam. Common sense would seem to dictate that would just attract dirt and debris contributing to increased wear.

So, another question: Is it normal for me to see air in the clear suction hose? I haven't checked the hydraulic fluid level yet. (Again, I haven't even put gas in it, yet.)

Yeah, I left it in the neutral position. Good tip, though.

Yes, I think it is normal to see air in the clear suction hose. I say I think because I have the same splitter from Tractor Supply. I bought it a few weeks ago, it works amazing and was a great price. The store already had everything installed with all fluid. They test each machine before they sell them. So, from what I can see the hose is clear mostly with a very light purple tint which I think is from the fluid.

My splitter eats gas but doesn't go through hydraulic fluid very fast.

In my previous experience with hydraulic splitters, frankly, I don't recall pulling it into retract position. I recall taking care not to bottom it out, then simply let go of the lever and it would retract on its own. While it was doing that, I would either be repositioning the log or tossing the splits onto the pile.

What you are describing may have been an 'auto-retract' that many splitters used to have. A few still do have that feature, but not the Speeco 22t. You have to push into the retract position, where it will stay until the ram retracts all the way.

On the maintenance issues: I changed the engine oil after the first 5 hours or so of operation, and went with a synthetic oil. I'm also sure a regular dino oil would work fine too. The synthetics don't seem to attract as much moisture, and since I don't use it that much, it seems like the right call. I also changed the hydraulic filter at the same time. Seemed to make sense to me in case there was any odd metal flakes left over from manufacturing.

I check fluids before each splitting session, but I have not yet needed to add anything, except gas. As mentioned, the engine seems awful thirsty, but that is probably somewhat a factor of the small gas tank... Seems like I'm always filling it, but since I take my time splitting anyway, I don't really mind it that much.

You might want to investigate the horizontal use of the splitter too. I use mine in the vertical for large rounds, but I find it easier on my back to split most of the stuff horizontally. I also have the log rack from Speeco, and it seems to work well. Forget the 4-way adapter though. The wings are too short, and it's a general pain to use. I find it easier to rotate the round 90 degrees and split again...

Have fun with your new toy! Some new splitter rep on the way!

Last edited:
Also, make sure the handle is down (or disengaged) when starting. Otherwise your trying to drive the pump. The one and only time I've loaned out my splitter I learned this was not common knowledge.

Sounds normal though.

The pump is direct coupled to the engine with a love joy. The engine is always driving the pump if it is turning either by starting or running. Look at the pump while someone is pulling the rope it will spin. With the "handle" in neutral fhe fluid is just circulating and not working anything.

Yes it is a detent position, you will not have to hold it on the return stroke and it will pop out automatically. I agree with what Fife said look under the motor and check the coupling to the pump, there have been issues with the assembly on these.

Yes it is a detent position, you will not have to hold it on the return stroke and it will pop out automatically. I agree with what Fife said look under the motor and check the coupling to the pump, there have been issues with the assembly on these.

What he said. Make sure the couplers are tight on both shafts and are aligned properly. Mine both needed tightened. My return hose clamp was also loose.
My splitter works great. I love it!

The pump is direct coupled to the engine with a love joy. The engine is always driving the pump if it is turning either by starting or running. Look at the pump while someone is pulling the rope it will spin. With the "handle" in neutral fhe fluid is just circulating and not working anything.

You are correct sir. I should have said "under load". Point is, with that handle in the wrong position, it won't be easy to start. In fact, fella that borrowed mine, pulled and pulled till the recoil broke. Then called to ask if there was a trick to starting it. I suspect his son (around 13) probably was pulling on the handle (kinda begs to be played with eh?) hope that others may learn from my experience.

As mentioned before, check all your hose clamps, or even better, replace the clamps with better quality clamps, pick up a spare filter (there are a few posts on filter cross reference numbers) and medium strength loc-tite to the the bolts that hold down the engine and the pump (take them off, hit them with brake cleaner, loc-tite blue, and put back on).

Do the bolts one at a time as to not mess with the alignment of the love joy coupler.

Check the alignment of the lovejoy as well. I have read of issues (here) that the alignment was wrong and that can lead to premature failure of the lovejoy.

The other small problem you will encounter is the oil change. The plug for the engine is a pain to get at. I want to get one of these :

drainzit from Northern Tool + Equipment

But to be honest, I cant remember the fitting size I need for my briggs engine (3/8 or 1/4), and I am too lazy to go out and crawl on the floor to check. My splitter is semi-stored away for the winter...

Change the oil and fluid as needed/suggested, use stabilizer for the fuel and you will be good to go for many years. KD

Last edited:
I think that opperation of the handle is normal for the Huskee 22T.
I know the new speeco 22T is a similar setup for the ram and handle now.
I used a friends new 22t speeco he got for Xmas and it took me a few splits to get used to it and i own a speeco 22T just a bit older.

One thing with the Huskee 22T is to crank up all the connections.
Factory connections seem to be very sloppy from what i hear.

Also The Huskee 22T likes to shear off main frame bolts.
Keep a wrench with your splitter and check them for tightness every few uses.
Bet you have a couple loose ones right now since the problem seems to be worse after the first few uses then clears up more and more.

I have the same splitter and I use the retract feature to get me going when I'm splitting. I work at getting the next piece I'm splitting in place and pull the handle forward before the "locked" position is kicked off. Just a game I play, but helpful to break the monotony of repetition.

Latest posts

Back