Is This Normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick62

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I can do better than that with my little toy ("nick the grinder"). Someday I will upgrade to a decent (Oregon) machine. That was a butch job, and if I was handed that I might have made a fuss until they cut me a NEW loop of chain!
-pat

Simonizer

Simonizer

Addicted to ArboristSite
jokers said:
I can tell you right now that who ever ground that chain hogged off too much material, there is no valid excuse for this, all brands of chain grind the same.

Look at the curled chrome on this cutter that results from removing to much base metal too rapidly. You will also notice the discoloration of the tooth from excessive heat.
curledchrome_cropped.jpg

Then look at the heat mark on the side of this cutter, it`s so dark that it`s gone beyond blue and it actually looks like soot.
bluedcutter_cropped.jpg

Whoever ground this chain took significant life from it.

Russ
LMAO, what a butcher. 1. The stone was dressed wrong and even looks to be too thin. 2. It was dirty, which caused the terrible burning, 3. Like Russ explained, excessive force was used.
4. Congratulations, in 20 years that is the worst job I have seen from a chain grinder.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Simonizer said:
LMAO, what a butcher. 1. The stone was dressed wrong and even looks to be too thin. 2. It was dirty, which caused the terrible burning, 3. Like Russ explained, excessive force was used.
4. Congratulations, in 20 years that is the worst job I have seen from a chain grinder.

Chain grinder! HAH, he used a ''BENCH GRINDER'' :cry:

12guns

12guns

ArboristSite Operative
While were on the topic of grinding...If used properly and slowly, can a dremel do a decent job? I know hand filing is the best, but how bad is a slower rpm dremel w/ correct angle?

jokers

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
12guns said:
While were on the topic of grinding...If used properly and slowly, can a dremel do a decent job? I know hand filing is the best, but how bad is a slower rpm dremel w/ correct angle?

Yes, but if you are going slowly, why not just hand file? You also have to beware of the changing diameter of the stone in the Dremel as it gets worn down. I`ve never tried one, but E-Z Lap makes a diamond hone for the Dremel that retains it`s diameter.

Russ

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Actually they do a very good job once you get the hang of it. An older gentleman I know who has a decent welding shop and business, cuts wood on his property, all his filing/sharpening is with of those and he is darn good at it. His chains are razor sharp with out being blue from over exposure or overspeed.

Actually I got to get him to teach me how he does it so well.

12guns

12guns

ArboristSite Operative
Thats kind of what I thought, I hand file some, but most of the time I'm in a hurry and end up dremelizing the poor things anyway...I have found it works quite well for me. I got curious and even ground the depth guides all the way down...cuts fast, but rougher than hell. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again for all the help!

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'll bet that chain cut better when it was dull than it will now. I'm sure now its safe to say I aint the worst at grinding chains now.

Marco

Marco

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Looking at the pictures is it possible that the chain started out life as square ground and the guy had to gum the teeth out because all he had was a round grinder? I am going by the angle of the rusty section that still is on the bottom of the tooth.
As for doing better with a file it all depends on who's doing the work, I used to file everything when I was just doing it for myself. When I started going into business I found that several wheels would outlast LOTS of files. So I grind everything and can slice my pinkies up pretty good if I'm not careful installing one on the saw.
Also if I see someone is doing well for themselves filing I advise that unless they really screw one up that they keep filing. Because once they get into the groove as mentioned earlier they will be pissed when they have to file after I grind one.
Ideally someone should bring a chain in when it is just dulled, then you can get in and out without having to straighten somebodies 43' and 22' file angles (depending on the side) because "I don't need no stinkin file guide". Shop around and get your own grinder and take your time and learn how to use it.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
That's just a bad job... Take it back and ????? (complain furiously) about them ruining your chain. Any color change is changing the temper of the cutter. If you get to sharpen a chain by hand that someone as burned in a grinder, you can feel how hard the metal gets. I use Kool Grind always and dress the wheel a couple of time a day. If it's just for me, or a real friend, I then go over it by hand and make it really clean.

Latest posts