Fuel injected Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today I pulled the trigger and got a new Stihl 500i. It came with a 25" bar. I chose the regular bar, as the light one didn't feel perceptibly different, not a hundred dollars difference worth, anyway. Also got two of those new hex grind chains. Dealer said they are really easy to sharpen, and that I am the first one to buy the new chain there.

I will report back. The saw is lighter than my 064, and listed as more powerful. 79 ccs of fuel injected fun, I'm sure.

I will report back, once my bruised ribs heal up a bit. We have a big red oak to take out at our church, and this will come in handy.
Y'all have a good evening!

I haven't ran one, but have played with them at the dealers a few times. Very light for it's size. Feels pretty nimble in hand. May be one day I'll aquire one...
I also think the antivibe is a bit bouncy on it. One fix is to slip a short length of rubber tubing into the spring to hold it up some. I think West Coast Saws offers a replacement spring that’s a bit stiffer as well.

Dude you bought two hex chains instead of a light bar. Are you freaking bat **** crazy.

Nice saw

Dude you bought two hex chains instead of a light bar. Are you freaking bat **** crazy.

Nice saw
You know, I held the two bars up together, and at 25" there wasn't really an appreciable difference. There was with the 32" of course, but he said that's too much bar for eastern hardwoods. West coast softwood cutters are probably developing a large mount adapter so it'll take the 880 bars, but it's mostly oak out here in Appalachia. I was ready to spring for thelight bar, but I couldn't tell the difference!

Ask yourself is 2-3 pieces of rubber worth 25 more then using the 661 spring and the 361 etc rubber buffers? wc uses same spring ;)

View attachment 1107386
I'll print this off and go see what I can do at the dealer. I really like these people. The tech is a former Hyundai factory tech, and he knows his stuff. The manager is a sweet little gal in her 70s, and she knows more about Stihl than anyone else I know. Good folks.

I'll print this off and go see what I can do at the dealer. I really like these people. The tech is a former Hyundai factory tech, and he knows his stuff. The manager is a sweet little gal in her 70s, and she knows more about Stihl than anyone else I know. Good folks.
Jason Egan from ID put that list together.

He sells better front covers etc. https://eganperformancesaws.com/

Latest posts

Back