Is this notch significant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph W Santora

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just about to slather on the sealant and assemble a 353 and I noticed this notch. There's a corresponding notch on the old gasket but no channel on the bottom of the cylinder. I do remember reading somewhere that when you delete the base gasket you need to make a channel for the impulse to get out. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• DSC02520.JPG
    DSC02520.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC02521.JPG
    DSC02521.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
It depends on how the carb receives the impulse signal. Some get it through a separate impulse line while others get it through the carb connection to the cylinder. How does your carb get the pulse or signal.?

The impulse comes through the round hole below the intake port through to the inside of the cylinder, as I remember it. That rubber nipple on the intake manifold can get melted or squashed closed, so you should inspect that before you assemble it carefully.

Older Husqvarna saws like the 51/55 got their impulse through the bottom of the cylinder like you're talking about. Your current cylinder in question does not. A lot of "like parts" are used between different saws to save cost. Your cylinder should get its impulse from inside the cylinder. Not a great picture, but it's how/where yours should get its impulse. I say slather away.
Screenshot_20211230-070121_Gallery.jpg

All I need is this chainsaw
And that other chainsaw
And those chainsaws over there
And the chainsaws
in the other room
And.............

I like your take on the "Jerk", just thinking about it cracks me up! Thanks

Older Husqvarna saws like the 51/55 got their impulse through the bottom of the cylinder like you're talking about. Your current cylinder in question does not. A lot of "like parts" are used between different saws to save cost. Your cylinder should get its impulse from inside the cylinder. Not a great picture, but it's how/where yours should get its impulse. I say slather away.
View attachment 952302

Your 353 cylinder gets the impulse from the cylinder wall, however, the 346 cylinder uses that notch.
fe06f072db65a2c51aaba31f7dd36599.jpg

All I need is this chainsaw
And that other chainsaw
And those chainsaws over there
And the chainsaws
in the other room
And.............

I like your take on the "Jerk", just thinking about it cracks me up! Thanks
It's a classic. I'm a sucker for those movies ;) haha

Back