Is this what Stihl's have come to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plastic snap-in control levers are a weak spot, have seen the problem
a lot. I usually remedy it by softening the plastic that holds the control
lever and making it tighter, so the control lever won't pop out easily. It is
tricky to accomplish. If the problem exists on a new saw, Stihl will warranty
a new handle, so take the saw back quickly, don't ignore it.

The snap on air filters are also a weak design, they should be a whole assembly held on by the carb nuts, or a better plastic comp on the snaps.

My neighbor was trying to cut down a small pine tree yesterday with his MS-250. It would hardly stay running, so he brought it over for me to look at. I get my neighbors power equipment when the don't run correctly, sort of goes with the territory of doing this sort of stuff for a living. I don't mind at all, it helps maintain good relationships, which doesn't seem to be the norm these days.

Anyhow, his MS-250 has very little time on it and just needed the chain sharpened and carburetor correctly adjusted. I also dumped his 2 year old fuel out of it and added some fresh mix.

The air cleaner was loose on the box, as the snaps were spread out slightly. No big deal there, I worked them in some and got it to snap in place, even though I thought the entire concept was "cheezy".

Got it running, and set the carb, and did a few test cuts with a sharp chain. It ran OK, but not impressive anyplace for power or cutting speed. Not sure what cc's they are, but runs like about 40cc or so, absolutely MAXXED out with an 18" bar/chain set-up. It would have been better suited to a 3/8 LP 14-16" bar.

Go to shut it off, and it continues to run. Turns out the metal spring deal had found it's way under the switch. I asked the owner and he said it hasn't been shutting off, so he's been choking it to kill out the engine.

Fixed that problem, then put the air cleaner cover back on and it's doing the same thing again...WTF??

Take the cover back off, which is another adventure all in itself. Couldn't they come up with something a little better there?

Turns out if you left the start switch in the upper or "run" position, (which is another thread all in itself about how complicated a simple operation should be) and tried to install the cover, it pushed the spring clip stop under the switch.

Anyhow, got it all back together and working correctly for him.

Not really wanting to start a Stihl bashing thread or anything of the sort, but that saw just wasn't showing me much for the price tag. I don't know how many cc's they are, but it wouldn't hold a candle to an Echo CS-510, and probably no faster anyplace than a CS-370 or 400.

What ever happened to a choke lever that works like a choke lever?

I'm glad I never got all wrapped up in the "lengendary" Stihl saw thing, because I'd be as unhappy with an MS-250 as I was with the POS orange Poulan's Husqvarna dumped on the market a few years ago.....Cliff

One must wonder how much complaining you would do if you had to do say a 45 second job on a saw. What you did would had taken me less than 15 seconds. Replacing the 2 year old fuel would had taken me longer than popping the switch back in place. You had trouble putting the back cover on too and calling that a design flaw, too funny. Whatcha think of bar nuts Cliff, pain aren't they,LOL

One must wonder how much complaining you would do if you had to do say a 45 second job on a saw. What you did would had taken me less than 15 seconds. Replacing the 2 year old fuel would had taken me longer than popping the switch back in place. You had trouble putting the back cover on too and calling that a design flaw, too funny. Whatcha think of bar nuts Cliff, pain aren't they,LOL

Well, you are familiar with those poor saws, not everyone is! :greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

The plastic snap-in control levers are a weak spot, have seen the problem
a lot. I usually remedy it by softening the plastic that holds the control
lever and making it tighter, so the control lever won't pop out easily. It is
tricky to accomplish. If the problem exists on a new saw, Stihl will warranty
a new handle, so take the saw back quickly, don't ignore it.

The snap on air filters are also a weak design, they should be a whole assembly held on by the carb nuts, or a better plastic comp on the snaps.

Fish your behind times man. The old 017's and 018's had the weak spot where the switch snaps in place. That area was beefed up years ago. The 025 never had any such problem. The reason those switches pop out of place is because people try to force them down on choke without depressing the trigger. It got so bad on the 029's due to such high sales they changed the air filter cover by adding a small arm to the cover that when in place it covered the switch. Course it made it almost impossible to force the choke on without depressing the trigger first which really ticked off the "dummy" crowd,LOLOLOL

Last edited:
QUOTE=SawTroll;2530732]Take what??? :confused:

It is just fact - as he is guilty of selling them! :popcorn::popcorn:[/QUOTE]

Selling the hell out of them is correct, something your outfit needs to get to doing,hehe. Now Sawtroll I not only sell them but I can take them apart and put them back together so good my customers give me things like this, enjoy,LOLOLOL

attachment.php
[

"All Stihls are supposed to have the throttle pulled first IIRC."

IF failing to pull the throttle first results in the spring/clip ended up under the switch, that's a design flaw that Stihl should look into, and correct, IMHO.

"One must wonder how much complaining you would do if you had to do say a 45 second job on a saw."

Don't mistake "complaining" for pointing out an inherent problem with the design of a part.

I also found a few other problems recently getting an 028WB to run after our local dealer told it's owner it was junk, and the cost to repair it would be more than the cost of a new saw.

It had the SAME kill switch problem, and the air filter spring was allowing the choke to suck shut choking it off in use. It would not hold a carb setting in the cut, and acted like a carb problem. Turns out is was something to do with the spring on the choke flap that was built into the air filter assembly, nearly as I can remember?

I didn't come on here and bash the 028WB either, they are pretty well built little saws, and we got the last one out of here for less than $75, with a new air filter, sharp chain, pull-cord and carb adjustment. The owner is at least $200 richer and he's still cutting wood.

"Not really, I see Cliff has a whole bunch in his list, no wonder a Stihl baffles him, LOLOLOL"

LOTS of things in life baffle me, I'm just a dirt poor farm boy trying to make my way in this World. No formal education, just a lot of time figuring things out, and I have a long ways to go in my endeavour!

Looks like a mixed crew on this subject, glad I'm not the only one that thinks the MS-250 is just OK, and has a few querks that the operator(s) should know about........Cliff

PS: to be perfectly honest, the only major problem I saw with the MS250 was the air filter flopping all over the place as the plastic ends had spread out. This allows a considerable amount of unfiltered air to enter the engine. This problem was NOT the fault of the Chemist who owned it, as I doubt the saw has over 4 hours total run time on it.

Last edited:
"All Stihls are supposed to have the throttle pulled first IIRC."

IF failing to pull the throttle first results in the spring/clip ended up under the switch, that's a design flaw that Stihl should look into, and correct, IMHO.

"One must wonder how much complaining you would do if you had to do say a 45 second job on a saw."

Don't mistake "complaining" for pointing out an inherent problem with the design of a part.

I also found a few other problems recently getting an 028WB to run after our local dealer told it's owner it was junk, and the cost to repair it would be more than the cost of a new saw.

It had the SAME kill switch problem, and the air filter spring was allowing it to suck shut choking it off in use. It would not hold a carb setting in the cut, and acted like a carb problem. Turns out is was something to do with the spring on the choke flap that was built into the air filter assembly, nearly as I can remember?

I didn't come on here and bash the 028WB either, they are pretty well built little saws, and we got the last one out of here for less than $75, with a new air filter, sharp chain, pull-cord and carb adjustment. The owner is at least $200 richer and he's still cutting wood.

"Not really, I see Cliff has a whole bunch in his list, no wonder a Stihl baffles him, LOLOLOL"

LOTS of things in life baffle me, I'm just a dirt poor farm boy trying to make my way in this World. No formal education, just a lot of time figuring things out, and I have a long ways to go in my endeavour!

Looks like a mixed crew on this subject, glad I'm not the only one that thinks the MS-250 is just OK, and has a few querks that the operator(s) should know about........Cliff

Glad your a good sport. What all you described I see alot of and never think nothing of it, a few seconds to pop back in , tellem why it popped out, no charge and out the door they go. The 2 year old fuel should be more of a concern than the switch.

Vote November, I'm running against Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson,haha

You can't design all operator error out of stuff. I guess the brake should disenguage on it's own when you pull the throttle too? Should it put itself on choke for you when it's cold? Seriously. It's all about knowing how to operate the tool.

why does everyone seem to get upset when one doesnt like a stihl design. I have an 017 and a 018c that i cant stand.....for the same reasons mentioned above...the lever will not stay where it belongs. Im just biased against stihl because everyone worships them. They are a good saw but others are just as good. domar/solo/husky/joneredseven my efco's.....all get the job done! There is no reason to go off on someone because they dont care for stihl....I thought we all evolved past this when stihl started going down hill....over the past couple years....then they wont sell replacement part online or over phone...gotta go to dealer.why not do all 3 to serve your customers better?

You can't design all operator error out of stuff. I guess the brake should disenguage on it's own when you pull the throttle too? Should it put itself on choke for you when it's cold? Seriously. It's all about knowing how to operate the tool.

Only one of several issues were connected to operater error......:givebeer:

Somehow, a lot of people doesn't care to look trough the manual that comes with the saw - but there usually are some useful info there........

Last edited:
the air filter spring was allowing the choke to suck shut choking it off in use. It would not hold a carb setting in the cut, and acted like a carb problem. Turns out is was something to do with the spring on the choke flap that was built into the air filter assembly, nearly as I can remember?

Hmm... I am looking at a B-I-L's 028 and after tightening up the intake boot, it seems to be running crazy rich... wonder if could be related to this... :monkey:

Back