Is Windsor Gone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got the new Bailey's flyer and noticed the Carlton Speed Tip bars. Blount doesn't list Windsor on their website anymore. Is the Windsor brand gone?

I hope not but wouldn't be surprised. Blount has a lot to answer for at the moment as they are obviously pushing the Oregon brand and slowly cutting Windsor and Carlton out of the picture it would seem.

i hope not also i buy a lot of bars for old saws when i get them running to resale.and i buy a lot from baileys but they have been hard to find on thier site.but if it's true i guess i just have to buy the oregon bars for the saws i resale at flea markets.

nope... still here

they are distributed by central power systems. If you live here in the east any Briggs and Stratton deal should be able to get them.

Last edited:
The Windsor brand is indeed history. The Speed-Tip bars will be folded into the Carlton brand. Windsor was strong in bars, and Carlton was of course very well known for it's chain. Neither was strong in both, so this makes sense in a way. Former Windsor distributors, such as Atlantic Power here in the northeast will assume distribution of the expanded Carlton brand. Some smaller Carlton distributors have been canceled, which I think is BS.

Lot's of turmoil right now in the Blount world, and much of it negative. I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about here on the site yet, but there is quite a shortage of Oregon bars on the market at the distribution level. Oregon is also having trouble supplying Husky bars to husqvarna, which is why 562's among other saw models are NOT shipping right now. This has left me more than a little PISSED OFF, as there are pallets of 562's an hour's ride from me, but they can't ship them due to lack of bars.

Additionally, speaking to another member yesterday, he related to me that he bought 2 oregon bars locally and quality wasn't all that good. Looking closely at the bar, he found something missing: no "Made in Canada" stamped on the bar. There was no made in anywhere stamped on there which makes me think Brazil or China. He was going to check the cardboard sleeves the bars came in last night and see if he could get an idea of their origin.

Take a close look at what you're buying guys. And those of you who buy stuff online need to ask some additional questions about what you're getting, or you may be disappointed.

Last edited:
I was notified yesterday that I could no longer get Carlton A3EP-RP ripping chain from my Stens distributor. My order came back marked "discontinued -- no longer available...". That was the only purpose-built ripping chain that I know of -- the rest are all standard chains that are given a special grind. Stens offered an Oregon substitute. I will tell my customers to see what they can find on the Net while there is still some available.

I was notified yesterday that I could no longer get Carlton A3EP-RP ripping chain from my Stens distributor. My order came back marked "discontinued -- no longer available...". That was the only purpose-built ripping chain that I know of -- the rest are all standard chains that are given a special grind. Stens offered an Oregon substitute. I will tell my customers to see what they can find on the Net while there is still some available.

Stens stopped distributing Carlton ripping chain months ago. You're probably also aware that along with ripping chain Carlton no longer make skip chain either.

The Windsor brand is indeed history. The Speed-Tip bars will be folded into the Carlton brand. Windsor was strong in bars, and Carlton was of course very well known for it's chain. Neither was strong in both, so this makes sense in a way. Former Windsor distributors, such as Atlantic Power here in the northeast will assume distribution of the expanded Carlton brand. Some smaller Carlton distributors have been canceled, which I think is BS.

Lot's of turmoil right now in the Blount world, and much of it negative. I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about here on the site yet, but there is quite a shortage of Oregon bars on the market at the distribution level. Oregon is also having trouble supplying Husky bars to husqvarna, which is why 562's among other saw models are NOT shipping right now. This has left me more than a little PISSED OFF, as there are pallets of 562's an hour's ride from me, but they can't ship them due to lack of bars.

Additionally, speaking to another member yesterday, he related to me that he bought 2 oregon bars locally and quality wasn't all that good. Looking closely at the bar, he found something missing: no "Made in Canada" stamped on the bar. There was no made in anywhere stamped on there which makes me think Brazil or China. He was going to check the cardboard sleeves the bars came in last night and see if he could get an idea of their origin.

Take a close look at what you're buying guys. And those of you who buy stuff online need to ask some additional questions about what you're getting, or you may be disappointed.

Do you know what series bars these were?

Do you know what series bars these were?

Kyle, if your question is about the Oregon bars, I don't know.

If it's about the Windsor bars, I know the Speed Tips are going Carlton, but I don't know if the lam bars that Carlton will be selling will be from Windsor or not.

BTW, the place where we get them from will supercede the Windsor numbers up to Carlton numbers to make it easy for us. I do "speak Windsor" but the Carlton numbers make no sense to me. :biggrin:

Kyle, if your question is about the Oregon bars, I don't know.

If it's about the Windsor bars, I know the Speed Tips are going Carlton, but I don't know if the lam bars that Carlton will be selling will be from Windsor or not.

BTW, the place where we get them from will supercede the Windsor numbers up to Carlton numbers to make it easy for us. I do "speak Windsor" but the Carlton numbers make no sense to me. :biggrin:

Bob, I meant the bars of questionable origin.

Maybe this will mean some GB bars in Husqvarna livery again?
I'm sure it's only a dream but wouldn't it be great if huskies came stock with tsumura bars instead?

My dealer was telling me just the other day how he has had a hard time ordering Oregon chain, for example .325 LGX is back-ordered. Prices have also hiked quite a bit, but I believe it was Stens that just had a chain sale end, so you should be able to find chain cheap for the time being, but in a few months?

Got a few speed tips stashed away from a sweet ebay deal, but after that, I might have to try a techlite.

windsor

heard about 6 months ago its GONE, stock left is over a year old, new items are from ????? origins not stated. Think we all know whats coming next!
I knew someone from up north and he said they don't make anything for saws anymore at the mill he works at, said an offshore company took there patents and moved the assembly line!!!

heard about 6 months ago its GONE, stock left is over a year old, new items are from ????? origins not stated. Think we all know whats coming next!
I knew someone from up north and he said they don't make anything for saws anymore at the mill he works at, said an offshore company took there patents and moved the assembly line!!!

The way it was explained to me, Oregon needed the production capacity of windsor and Carlton for chain, and is simply re-badging Oregon trash, and outsourcing the budget line stuff. Anything labeled as Windsor or Carlton is either old stock, or chineese garbage. Carlton Chain apparently is still bieng produced though, and it will be curious to see how long it is, before Oregon manages to screw that up.

The Monopoly allows them to crank out trash, with little fear of market backlash.
The wildthingy crowd dosn't know they are getting screwed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back