Is WP chain really Carlton?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawTroll

Information Collector
Reaction score
The "missing" Carlton stamp is just natural, I believe, when they are "rebadged"........:)

Husky/Jred and Dolmar etc chains are rebadged Oregons, but the stamps differ.... ..

Last edited:
I put on a Woodsman Pro chain today. The drivers say "A1" like Carlton. There is no angle line on the cutter, like Carlton. The only thing missing is the Carlton name in a semi-circle on the connecting link. Has anyone else noticed this?

I did not know that Carlton had put witness marks on their cutter like Oregon and Stihl did? Are you sure you were referring to Carlton and not another type chain?

Scott

I'll use up this chain and not order another one. I have never liked Carlton. They don't hold an edge as long as Oregon or Stihl.
Richard

I used Woodsman Pro for the first time a few days ago on the 361. I was cutting up some real crap I pulled off the lake bottom a few weeks ago and was waiting for it to dry out. This was round chisel (the Stihl RS equivalent) which I wouldn't normally use for this stuff but the chain held it's edge very well. I went through two tanks of gas and it still was cutting well. I'm impressed. It held it's edge much better than the Oregon/Husky chains I've used on the 353. :rockn:

Joe

I used Woodsman Pro for the first time a few days ago on the 361. I was cutting up some real crap I pulled off the lake bottom a few weeks ago and was waiting for it to dry out. This was round chisel (the Stihl RS equivalent) which I wouldn't normally use for this stuff but the chain held it's edge very well. I went through two tanks of gas and it still was cutting well. I'm impressed. It held it's edge much better than the Oregon/Husky chains I've used on the 353. :rockn:

+1.

If the driver says A1, Carlton has manufactured it for us.
Nik

So your house brand chain comes from different manufactures? Do you guys spec it or is it just re badged?

I tried a loop of .325 .63 woods mans pro. It was very grabby at first kinda still is. I duno if I like it yet or not. Need more power to run it on an 8 tooth rim. The cutters also kinda looked like they were ground kinda inconsistent.

Last edited:
I like Carlton chain. :chainsawguy: Is the WP chain the same. I have thought about ordering some but I wasn't sure if it was the same. Oregon seems softer to me. Does anyone know what the difference is ?

Best Chain and Bars?

This is an interesting thread. I have a 361 coming in the mail. It has a 16" bar that I want to upgrade to an 18"

Is Stihl chain and bars considered to be the best? Or should I consider Oregon or Bailey's gear as superior, or just as good. I'm curious about your opinions.

Also can you give me an idea of the type of chain I would need for green and seasoned oak (12-24"diameter). I want to run 3/8"

Thanks,

Bigbob

I'll use up this chain and not order another one. I have never liked Carlton. They don't hold an edge as long as Oregon or Stihl.
Richard

We have been selling Carlton exclusively for 6 years now with no real complaints or problems with the chain. Some of the bars have had sprocket tip failures but not enough to be concerned about.

I get a kick out of people telling me that the Husky chain that I sold them on there saw is much better than Oregon, Carlton and Stihl when it actually is Oregon or Carlton. I usually just agree.

Last edited:
Stihl bars are the best I've used, and so is Stihl chain. I'm sure there will be some differing opinions. Oregon is a close second in the .375 pitch full chisel round filed chain. If you're running a full-sized saw, maybe 3.5 cubes and up, I'd use the LG Oregon chain, or the equivalent Stihl, not sure of the name and number of that Stihl chain. Keep in mind these chains have very little for anti-kickback protection. Depending on your experience level, you might want to use a slower, safer chain.
Richard

Give Oregon's LGX or LPX series a try it has a harder tooth and better quality on the links & tie straps as well. Everyone that has used it fell in love with it... here anyway

Scott

Stihl bars are the best I've used, and so is Stihl chain. I'm sure there will be some differing opinions. Oregon is a close second in the .375 pitch full chisel round filed chain. If you're running a full-sized saw, maybe 3.5 cubes and up, I'd use the LG Oregon chain, or the equivalent Stihl, not sure of the name and number of that Stihl chain. Keep in mind these chains have very little for anti-kickback protection. Depending on your experience level, you might want to use a slower, safer chain.
Richard

I'll the chain I've used in the past has been anti-KB. I'm a carpenter by trade and used my 023 to cut lots of firewood. Will the more aggressive chain really be a problem? I know the fundamentals of falling and bucking and have a suite of wedges. Should I really be concerned about using the more dangerous chain?

Bigbob

It ain't so bad.

I have been running Woodsman Pro for a few years now. For the price you can't beat it. Most is Carlton. A1, is your clue.

It holds a edge pretty well, with Stihl being the hardest, and Oregon being softer. The only beef I have is that right off the roll it isn't the sharpest stuff I have ever seen. Both Oregon and Stihl chain are way sharper (way more $$).

As for stretching, the WP isn't bad at all:clap: If I start a fresh loop, it takes about 30 minutes to stretch it out. Tighten it, and it is pretty much good to go. The Oregon I have used takes about 2-3 cycles like that to get happy. Stihl chain doesn't seem to stretch much at all!

-Pat

Richard

I have never used Carlton, but from what I have read here (lots of statements trough the years), they should hold the edge at least as well as Oregon, but not quite as well as Stihl (no big differences anyway, if you touch up reasonably often).

I really like the witness marks that are on Oregon and Stihl chain.......

Last edited:
Was it WP chain made by Carlton, or WP chain made by Oregon? Evidently, Bailey's buys chain from both manufacturers and uses the WP brand. If it's made by Oregon I assume it would have the number 72, 73 or 75 on the drivers, and angle guides on the tooth top. If made by Carlton, should have A1 or A2, etc.
Richard

I recall an A and there areno witness marks, so I assume it's Carlton chain.

Joe

Hey, Joe,
The chains you had on your 353 were likely .325 pitch, so the two sizes would be hard to compare. Also, the 353 is more of a homeowner's saw, and might use a different grade of steel in the chain.
Richard

No - I don't think so. The 353 does use .325 but the saw came with a Husky 34 chain and I have since used mostly Oregon 95VP.

Here the 353 is definitely not considered homeowner and is equipped exactly like the 346XP.

Joe

We buy chain from both Carlton & Oregon

Was it WP chain made by Carlton, or WP chain made by Oregon? Evidently, Bailey's buys chain from both manufacturers and uses the WP brand. If it's made by Oregon I assume it would have the number 72, 73 or 75 on the drivers, and angle guides on the tooth top. If made by Carlton, should have A1 or A2, etc.
Richard

Our WoodsmanPRO brand is made by both manufacturers. Carlton chain has a letter and number stamped on the drive link (A1, etc.), our Oregon chain has two numbers and a letter stamped after it (50A, etc). We call the Oregon chain our X-series Woodsman Pro (30XC, 38XC and 33XC). It is essentially 72LG, 73LG and 75LG with a different chassis.

Back