Is your shop too small?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
36x48 here, well insulated, AC and wood heat. All the space I need.
my 36x48 has heat and a/c too. i want wood heat in it but just isnt room for a woodburner and the space it requires. this summer i installed new furnace with heat pump and a/c.

My garage is an over-sized two car garage. It's approx. 18' x 36'. For the most part, it's fine due to the fact that cars don't get parked in it. It's well-insulated and heated / cooled.

My father has an RV building that he kept his vacation trailer in when he had one. He sold the trailer some time ago, so now, it mostly unused. It's about 20 x 40 or so. It's tall enough that you could set up a loft inside it for add'l. storage.

Sure wish I could pick it up and bring it to my place.

Shop is around 6000 sq ft between the actual shop, store front, parts rooms, machine tool room, break room, bathroom, etc... it's too small!

That doesn't count several parts sheds, kiln house, planer building, woodmizer shed, etc. We are building 2 more sheds for the wood processors this summer.

Red roofs is teh shop, tin ones are lumber sheds, parts sheds and the planer and kiln buildings.shop.jpg

my 36x48 has heat and a/c too. i want wood heat in it but just isnt room for a woodburner and the space it requires. this summer i installed new furnace with heat pump and a/c.
Nice!

Mine is divided into two rooms. Front room is smaller/cleaner, more like a machine shop, small wood stove & small AC window unit. Back room is larger the forge area, tractor, chainsaw, equipment maintenance, etc. Large wood stove & large AC. Works well, easy to heat & cool cheaply.

Was driving from Atlanta to Harrisburg, PA today for a meeting and we were going by a large trucking terminal. You know, one of those buildings that is about 800 feet long and 250 feet wide with a 30' ceiling...

Well, I said to my wife, that's what I need. Plenty of room in there. She says, "I wonder how long before you had it filled up?"

I was stunned! Do I really collect that much junk? ?What is she thinking?

And then I realized how well she knows me and yes, one day I would say, I need a bigger shop!
straight up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mentioned to my dad,, i was going to build a 60 x 120..he said,, what the h for??? I said,, to work in.. he said,,1 yr to fill it??????

I have not had a shop in a few years. What can i say apartment living is the pits, but I did do a head gasket in the street while I was attending university. The apartment complex had rules about working on cars so moved my "shop" to the street.

I was respectful and clean while doing this job and the quality was better than anything a professional shop would have bothered with. Not only am I cheap, but I can't be bothered with the low quality work repair shops turn out these days.

I did rebuild my Stihl 028 on the kitchen counter two weeks ago.
not ALL repair shops. .thank you.....

I've got 24x35' now (24.9% lot coverage and can't go bigger), and it's pretty full but still functional. Up north I want a 60x120' and will heat and slab 40' of it, then leave the rest for cold storage (until I need more climate controlled space :D ).

My shop is 40x60 and was too crowded so I built a 12x20' mezzanine with a stairway going up. That helped but still too crowded so I built another 12x20' mezzanine with a stairway going up on the other end of the shop. That helped but still too crowded. I've now plugged up one stall of the garage (separate building) but that will have to be temporary as that's where I usually park the Bobcat. I could easily fill up another building or two with the stuff I have now. I have been working at culling some stuff but it's hard to part with stuff I just know I'm going to need some day...

My shop is 40x60 and was too crowded so I built a 12x20' mezzanine with a stairway going up. That helped but still too crowded so I built another 12x20' mezzanine with a stairway going up on the other end of the shop. That helped but still too crowded. I've now plugged up one stall of the garage (separate building) but that will have to be temporary as that's where I usually park the Bobcat. I could easily fill up another building or two with the stuff I have now. I have been working at culling some stuff but it's hard to part with stuff I just know I'm going to need some day...
There is approx. 80 acres of that here.

Stuff that was demoed during the time when the economy was rolling.
some of it has sat outside so long that it is now scrap metal.

We try to, but we can't save everything we see.

mine 8 x 10 inside packed full, but can do most saw stuff in there.
i only got 16 saws in there now

mine 8 x 10 inside packed full, but can do most saw stuff in there.
i only got 16 saws in there now

I can vouch to this one it needs the walls extended up about a foot. then it would be perfect.:p:p:D:D. oh wait you are a normal sized person I am the one that needs stuff afoot taller than everyone else.

I need 3-bigger shops... when I win the lottery or rich relative writes me into the will
1) Auto hobby & welding
2) Wood wright
3) General purpose w/ lots of bench top space

fact!! the DAY, you rid yourself of some things,,, the VERY next day, youll need it!!! had to go next day, to salvage yard to get what I threw the day before....grrrrrrrr............

Latest posts

Back