ISA Cert.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I deleted one site, since it was not a need. It handled industry related books that could be ordered, such as a study guide for ISA certification.

If you type in "International Society of Arboriculture" or "Certified" and "books", etc., you should be able to find it.

Thanks very much guys for the links! Iam trying to get started on the ISA Arb. Have any of you taken the test? How was it??

thanks,
Evan

re: the test

What its like depends on what you know and what you have seen and read. It is 200 multiple choice questions with a section on tree ID from a visual reference ( could be pictures, samples etc) Read and learn the study guide, read and learn the book "Arboriculture..." by Harris, Clark and Matheny. Get some experience, touch trees. Take the test and if you don't pass it first go round, re-take the sections you miss. To take the test you need a reference from an employer of sorts with a statement of hours in the tree industry, I think the minimum is 2000, might be 3000, sorry don't remember, it is probably on the ISA website.

1 month older than you, and I grew up in Houston. I thought the exam was simple but it all depends on how much you already know. I went into if with a forestry degree from A&M so basic biology, dendrology were a breeze.

Study the ISA book and do the sample questions. They ARE representative.

I just passed the test (1st time), here are my suggestions:
-Get the study guide -If you spend some time driving around the study guide on CD would be great, wish I had it.
-Learn the study guide questions
-Learn the study guide questions
---You need 3yrs in the field ---they don't look at hours worked.
If you have really worked in trees for 3 years you will be ok on the tree ID part. That was what I was most worried about, because they sent me a list telling me to learn to ID about 75 trees for the test. I took the test in the same area that I live and work so the tree ID part was really easy, it was trees that I cut and see every day.
Good luck!
Greg

thanks for the advice

Hey guys,
thanks for the advice on the test ...I will definately hit the books...Iam in Texas, so Iam in the field studying all of it and hope that this summer I will be ready for the test.

Back