ISA certification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is one at a better advantage with a ISA certification for employment? What kinds of jobs would being certified apply to? And how does a person become certified and whats the test consist of?

do a search on this topic....it has been beat to death, many threads & posts with the info you want.

LXT...............

Ok I be a sport and try n help as I am doing the ISA Cert this year. Job opps depends on your stream choice, its likely you get a second look over say an unqualified. The real opportunity is for yourself to learn and have aspirations. The ISA site has all the details, just takes a bit of digging. The test manual is not to bad a read. A tad high $ to buy but you can probably scrounge a 2nd hand copy. It covers all and some more and not to dull. The test I am yet to do but told its a large ranging multiple choice over all manual chapters. If you can get study buddy it will help your learning motivation.
Bat on.

Is one at a better advantage with a ISA certification for employment? What kinds of jobs would being certified apply to? And how does a person become certified and whats the test consist of?

If a guy shows up on my front step in jeans, t-shirt, and ballcap on backwards, and asks for a job, he gets a rake and $8 an hour. If he has a good driving record and can drive a chipper truck and chipper, he gets $10.

If you show up with an ISA cert. it shows me you know something about trees, plant pathology, geology, electricity, law, and more. To an extent,you can tell me what you want, or in a poor job market, you'll be miles ahead of the guy in the ballcap.

In MD, before they adopted the ISA cert for the test for a MD Tree Expert License, you had to have a 4 year degree in a related field or eight years service in the business to qualify to take the test. You didn't mention what your knowledge/skill level is. More info from you can let us make a more informed reply, Joe.

To answer your question of what kind of Jobs?

DNR agent
Forester
Top climber for tree co
Sales for tree co

Just remember that if you want something with the government, you will need a degree to go along with your ISA to go anywhere. A friend was a climber with Davey Tree and had his ISA. He left the co because he said "they wanted him to have a degree" to advance in the co. He now owns a multi million dollar tree care co, but this has come to him after 30 years of hard, dedicated work, Joe.

Thanks to all those who offered some insight, I really appreciate it. As far as the comment from "BC Wet Coast" goes, at first it ticked me off only wishing that he was here to say it to me instead of through a post, but then I realized he can't help from being an arrogant disrespectful jerk, he's Canadian!

ISA exam

To get certified you will need three years of experience in tree care or a related field OR two years experience and a two-year degree OR one years experience and a four year degree. The application handbook is located here: http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/resources/certapp.pdf

As was mentioned earlier, ISA certification is usually required in addition
to experience or a degree. But you could look forget a job as a city forester, company salesperson, foreman, etc. But again, you need the experience and maybe a degree as well in addition to the ISA cert.

Thank-you, before this thread was started I went to the ISA website and found some of what I was looking for but was still a little unclear on things, so thank you all for your help and insight.

Thanks to all those who offered some insight, I really appreciate it. As far as the comment from "BC Wet Coast" goes, at first it ticked me off only wishing that he was here to say it to me instead of through a post, but then I realized he can't help from being an arrogant disrespectful jerk, he's Canadian!

ummmm ... I read the thread ... you had better start reading and hopefully learning ... if WC turned you off then GOOD LUCK with the tree identification section on the ISA test.
As for being Canadian goes ... don't think that's the issue here. If that offends you then maybe you had better take up ping pong or something.:monkey:

If his comment makes you want to roll him up, then you had better reconsider the tree industry.

There are plenty of ground crew that have YEARS of experience and knowledge.
They are going to wear you out with that big button of yours.
Mouthing off every day will make a short career working for me.

KB-

There isn't a thing you can't tell me about working with guys and being thick skinned, I've been a Union carpenter my whole life and a foreman on top of that and I didn't get there by taking things to heart. I give it out and take more than most, and I don't think you would last long on my crew neither. The difference is is that I don't work for this guy, I'm not his employee, I'm not his friend, I don't even know him therefore whys it ok for him to say something smart and I'm obligated to take it and let it roll off my back. If I said something offensive to you in this post would you feel the same way?

There isn't a thing you can't tell me about working with guys and being thick skinned, I've been a Union carpenter my whole life and a foreman on top of that and I didn't get there by taking things to heart. I give it out and take more than most, and I don't think you would last long on my crew neither. The difference is is that I don't work for this guy, I'm not his employee, I'm not his friend, I don't even know him therefore whys it ok for him to say something smart and I'm obligated to take it and let it roll off my back. If I said something offensive to you in this post would you feel the same way?

Hmmm.....

Would you as a carpenter and foreman take offense to a rookie carpenter labeling himself as a journeyman or master without paying his dues?

Because that sure seems to be what you're doing here. Passing the ISA's test does not make you an arborist. It gives you the title, nothing more.

And I don't see much to be respected simply by wanting or having the (CA) title, unless a desire to learn and practice proper arboriculture goes along with it. You seem to be more interested in the $$$ than the trees.

Unless that changes, the trees would be better off with you sticking to wood thats been through the sawmill.

How would you feel about someone calling themslves a carpenter who had never swung a hammer, used a framing square, couldn't cut a straight line with a skilsaw to save thier life?

Thats one of the beefs I have with the ISA. People who have never ran saw, never climbed.......you get the picture.

I don't know what vibe you have gotten from this post but you got it all wrong. I've never once said I was a master at anything to do with arborculture, as a matter of fact I don't know much at all about the field, hence the whole reason why I started this thread. And about the money? Are you serious? I'm nowhere near well off, but I am a journeyman carpenter in a area with the highest union scale in the country, and you think it's more money I'm after? Get real. I sell firewood on the side and do tree removal because I love it! I have 3 saws, some new and old climbing gear, I'm in the woods, my own boss,and the work feels good! I would trade $40 an hour for $10 to cut timber my whole life, thats my wish, I've never been about more money. I'd rather be a logger than a millionaire, does that make sense? I know being ISA certified doesn't mean I know more than the next guy, I've had guys with degrees in construction management or guys thinking the apprenticeship program taught them all they need to know, come to our job thinkin they're qualified and they're usually fired the first 10 minutes. Am I giving off the wrong vibe? I thought this would be a site I could join where a dying breed of men with an appreciation of hard work could converse with each other and relish each others respect for the other, because believe it or not I have 100% respect for the men/women on this site who make their living in the woods (even the Canadians) and I apoligize for offending anyone.

Last edited:
Would you please address the point made by both Clearance and I?

Would you be offended if a rookie carpenter paid to take a test, and was granted journeyman status based on that test, with no time spent working in carpentry?

I hope you can see the similarity to you wanting to know how to go about getting the CA label, without wanting to know enough (anything) about tree care.

You don't need to be a CA to cut firewood. You don't need to be a CA to cut logs.

Logging and firewooding are very enjoyable to most guys doing it, and I have no doubts that you like it very much yourself, but don't come in here and bs us by inquiring about the CA process and employment possibilities and say it's not about the money at all....

:agree2:
Although I appreciate your passion to be in the woods! I would rather be a millionaire, than a ten dollar logger in the woods, but what would be really cool, is to be a millionaire logger, in my OWN woods!:smoking:

Last edited:
What-a-Stihl,

I'll go ahead and try answering your question without being a total :censored: like everyone else on this site. I had to quit posting on here because of this crap. Too many guys on here that think their :censored: don't stink because they THINK they can run a saw. I like the comment: use the search feature, how original. It's like, if I wanted to google the :censored: answer I would,,, BUT I DONT WANT TO,,, GOT A PROBLEM WITH IT????

Now to answer,,, YES you would be at a better advantage if you had ISA certification. You'll learn a lot just studying for the test, plus it is another thing to put on the resume. The types of jobs would be anything natural resource related. All you need to do is get the study guide. Take a couple months studying in your spare time. Make sure you know the guide inside and out. They will give you a list of tree species that you will be responsible for knowing. There was only 9 tree id questions on my test. They give you pictures of the bark, leaves, seed, etc. for each question. The rest of the test is not easy. If you have a solid background with trees and know the guide you will pass.

I'd go ahead and get a 4 year degree in forestry or related while you are at it. I'd tell you to finance your education using the military but.... it might not be worth it... Today there are more idiots in the US military than what there is on this site..... amazing huh???

Anyways, do whatever it takes to get a degree. That way you won't be working under the :censored: that are rudely responding in here. You can tell them to get working while you sit in the truck and drink coffee... That way you'll have plenty of energy at night and on weekends. Energy for your part-time logging and firewood business.

Also, since you live close to Missouri, become a member of the Missouri Forest Products Assoc. and take the Professional Timber Harvester course and learn how to cut.

Here's a couple other tips: don't run Stihl saws,,, worst air filter system out there, you clean it 2-3 times a day, screws always stripping, poor ergonomics, out of line prices on bars, chain, etc. Run Husky, although their dealer network does kinda suck. I'm not a big fan of modifying saws either. They cost enough the way it is. Just learn how to sharpen so it cuts like butter.

I believe in using a hinge and bore unless it is a small tree. I work alone and don't want to be laying out there hoping someone will lift a tree off me. Hinge and bore cut is the safest way to cut a tree down.... might take a little longer sometimes but is your life worth it??? It is part of a mindset like wearing chaps and a hard hat.... it sucks but you have to force yourself to adhere to it.

There are a few guys in here that know a thing or two and are helpful. Find out who those guys are and keep in contact with them. They have been in your shoes. The rest are cocky know it alls....and their biggest secret is that they don't know :censored:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Why are you apologizing??? :censored: that!

Latest posts

Back