Ist saw rebuild issues 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is my frist rebulid so i am still learning. Today i noticed my cylinder bolts were loose and my cylinder gasket was missing on my saw. i just finshed a new cylinder on it a year ago and have not used it alot. What can i do when i put it back together to avoid this. I want to learn so this dose not happen again

Saw is a Stihl 026

cylinder base gasket was missing,??? like it fell out when the bolts came loose or it fell out dureing tear down.

Your bolts were loose and the gasket just burned/blew out. I think you just need to revisit how much you need to torque the head bolts. I personally do not use a torque wrench much, but I have wrenched a lot of stuff in my days and have a good feel for this sort of thing. You might want to get a torque wrench to do the installation until you do more wrenching.

Are you sure you have genuine Stihl head bolts? They are made so that you should not need locktite. I don't think there's anything wrong with using it, but it tells me that something else may be amiss.

what is the correct torque? I want to make sure i am looking at the same torque specs. Yes they are stihl bolts.

Last edited:
Get new Stihl bolts, they have serrations on the bottom that "bite" into the cylinder head's base flange.

026 head bolt part #: 9022 371 1020

Torque is 10.5Nm, 7.7ft lbs, if you have a wrench that goes that low.

Last edited:
are they allen bolts.

if so then the allen tool will twist and not apply the proper torgue

they are not allen bolt they are original stihll parts. I should have mentioned this saw has been put though alot of work

Back