It Lives!!! !!! !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
WOW, what a saw!

Remember the FR4618 McCulloch I asked about earlier this week? I was given the saw not running, but I got it to run, poorly at best.

Well, I got the new Intake boot ordered, but Im impatient...I went and got a tube of JB Quik Weld, and a pack of Epoxy stuff...

I cleaned the boot up, and dried it. Mixed up some clear Epoxy, applied it all around the boot, ripped portions and non-ripped portions. Let it set for 4 hours, then I applied JB Quickweld over that, and let it set for a few hours. It hardened well, but still maintained the boots flexible nature.

I took it out, and picked up the box filled with the disassembled engine, put it all back together, and about an hour later...IT LIVED!!! !!! !!!

Cranked on the 2nd pull, and idled right down. I put the mystery hose on the mystery rear engine hose port, and the saw wouldnt rev over 3-4K. It would rev quickly, then flood out, and stop revving.

I pinched off the hose, and it revved endlessly:blob2: So as best I can tell, it is a Rev-Limiter. So I Leaned the mixture out until I got a top-no load RPM of about 11K.

Seeing as the bar oiler hose is still missing, I coated the chain in Shindaiwa Chain oil, and put it on. Went out to a Log.

The log of choice is about 3 months removed from its tree. IT was Oak, still quite Green. Eh, about 17-18" across. I revved it up and dug in, and it hummed through it like it was an old dead peice of rotten Maple.

The saw maintains a solid 9-10K top speed under Heavy load, with me bearing down on the saw. If I pull it out of the wood and freerev, it tachs up to about 11K and it starts dumping fuel into the intake, put it back in the log and it settles down, torque is immediate.

I dont care what anyone says, McCulloch made a darn fine saw in the MAC 4600!

And seeing as the factory crosshatch is still visible in the cyl. it has a long life ahead:rock:

Last edited:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh Red???

Red I been reading some of, in fact alot of your posts and I have to ask you something. How old are you? The reason I ask is because alot of your posts are shall we say alittle puzzling. So how old are you my friend???

THALL10326 said:
Red I been reading some of, in fact alot of your posts and I have to ask you something. How old are you? The reason I ask is because alot of your posts are shall we say alittle puzzling. So how old are you my friend???
{20}

I do tend to wander on some [most] of my posts/threads..:laugh:

But yeah, as has been said, Im 20.

sugarbush said:

Hey ole Sugar how ya doing ole feller? So Red is 20, ok. I was just wondering.
Sugar hows that garden? I got a ticket the utter day for a cantalope rolling out in da road and causing a 15 car pile up. You should seen them cats fighting over that big mellon,lol

RED-85-Z51 said:
I do tend to wander on some [most] of my posts/threads..:laugh:

But yeah, as has been said, Im 20.

Ok Red, thats cool. Don't get mad or upset but take it from this ole geezer man some advice. It will keep in good with everyone. When you don't know something just say you don't know. Some of your posts tend to show your sorta using logic instead of fact. The fellers on here like the facts most times and some will eat you alive if your guessing on something. Now SugarBush is watching your posts, he's here Red so be carefull, Sugar will skin ya alive if he thinks your assuming something and not really knowing it. SugarBush is one mean sucker Red so be alert and stick to the facts and you'll be fine...

okay, reread it, and found a couple of confusing portions, and fixed them.

For what it's worth, im not your typical 20 year old. Ive graduated a 1200 hour small engine course, in fact, they offered me the teaching job when I was done, seriously.

Im also going to take the B&S Master Service Tech. test in a couple months, to get my MST and Dealer status. At that point Ill lease a shop I found near here.

THALL10326 said:
Hey ole Sugar how ya doing ole feller? So Red is 20, ok. I was just wondering.
Sugar hows that garden? I got a ticket the utter day for a cantalope rolling out in da road and causing a 15 car pile up. You should seen them cats fighting over that big mellon,lol
Garden doing real good. sound's like your's is to. so you have a new toy. 441, I hear it's a super saw. the 044 is one of my all time favorite's and if it's better then that one it should be a stand out. time will tell.

RED-85-Z51 said:
okay, reread it, and found a couple of confusing portions, and fixed them.

For what it's worth, im not your typical 20 year old. Ive graduated a 1200 hour small engine course, in fact, they offered me the teaching job when I was done, seriously.

Im also going to take the B&S Master Service Tech. test in a couple months, to get my MST and Dealer status. At that point Ill lease a shop I found near here.

Not knocking your age at all Red. In fact the small engine feild needs new blood. Glad your interested in it. Stick with the facts though , never assume when Sugar is online......

sugarbush said:
Garden doing real good. sound's like your's is to. so you have a new toy. 441, I hear it's a super saw. the 044 is one of my all time favorite's and if it's better then that one it should be a stand out. time will tell.

Well it seems to be a winner Sugar. I like it alot. Must admit though I like those mellons too,lol. Sugar don't you beat up on Red, he's new and he seems wound up to be in our field. Keep him striaght but don't do what you did to me when I came on here, I still have that knot on my head,lol

THALL10326 said:
Ok Red, thats cool. Don't get mad or upset but take it from this ole geezer man some advice. It will keep in good with everyone. When you don't know something just say you don't know. Some of your posts tend to show your sorta using logic instead of fact. The fellers on here like the facts most times and some will eat you alive if your guessing on something. Now SugarBush is watching your posts, he's here Red so be carefull, Sugar will skin ya alive if he thinks your assuming something and not really knowing it. SugarBush is one mean sucker Red so be alert and stick to the facts and you'll be fine...

Trust me, I know all about having to have a thick Skin on an on-line forum.

You should venture over to the CorvetteForum and visit The Off Topic Discussions section. We run an average of 150 or so New topics a day, and at least 3000 posts a day. Ive got almost 10K posts in that section, and they are a rough and tumble group. I dont usually guess at stuff. I take what I know, and form a hypothesis about a theory of operation. Then I research the subject.

Facts are great, I like em. But Logic is nothing to be ignored.

RED-85-Z51 said:
Trust me, I know all about having to have a thick Skin on an on-line forum.

You should venture over to the CorvetteForum and visit The Off Topic Discussions section. We run an average of 150 or so New topics a day, and at least 3000 posts a day. Ive got almost 10K posts in that section, and they are a rough and tumble group. I dont usually guess at stuff. I take what I know, and form a hypothesis about a theory of operation. Then I research the subject.

Facts are great, I like em. But Logic is nothing to be ignored.

10,000 posts on the Vette forum, wow. Thats great Red. You are surely into engines and thats great. True logic isn't to be ignored, I use it all the time when selling. I know a ole feller up in Wis that I use logic on all the time. He uses logic on me too and we share money and parts,lol. Just stay more on fact when it comes to saws because most of the cats on this forum will correct ya in a hurry and some aren't as nice as me. Take that ole Ultra guy, he's a ruff Harley dude Red. He likes 100% fact. So enjoy the site Red and remember some of these guys have been fooling with saws since they invented dirt......

THALL10326 said:
Not knocking your age at all Red. In fact the small engine feild needs new blood. Glad your interested in it. Stick with the facts though , never assume when Sugar is online......

Red to assume is to make an ass-u-me.

In this forum we have;

Loggers
Arborists
Lawn & garden Maintenance
Homeowners with saws
Saw Dealers
Saw Technicians
We also have kids with saws 22 years and under.

After laying that out where do you think you fit in to the scheme of things. I have read some of your posts as well over the last couple of days and I have to say use search, listen to what is being said, figure out where you want to end up when your 60.

I am not trying to quell you but merely tell you that there is a wealth of knowledge in the people that live here. They are kind enough to share their years of experience for those that need it. Take advantage of that and you will learn well. Abuse it and you will sour your reputation fast.

Just friendly advise from an old guy.

THALL10326 said:
10,000 posts on the Vette forum, wow. Thats great Red. You are surely into engines and thats great. True logic isn't to be ignored, I use it all the time when selling. I know a ole feller up in Wis that I use logic on all the time. He uses logic on me too and we share money and parts,lol. Just stay more on fact when it comes to saws because most of the cats on this forum will correct ya in a hurry and some aren't as nice as me. Take that ole Ultra guy, he's a ruff Harley dude Red. He likes 100% fact. So enjoy the site Red and remember some of these guys have been fooling with saws since they invented dirt......

I got no problem with fact, but I also have no problem with learning something new.

If Im wrong about something, I have no problem being told I am wrong.

If you ever do venture into the Corvette Forum, be careful, you can walk in looking good, and leave limping, and all bloodied up...:laugh:

You can always tell when a newbiw has wandered into OT...the threads can go from 0 posts to 300-400 posts in a couple of hours.:hmm3grin2orange:

I started at the corvette Forum back in 03, had no knowledge of 4 gen Corvettes (1984-1996) and now, I can troubleshoot just about anything.

RED-85-Z51 said:
I got no problem with fact, but I also have no problem with learning something new.

If Im wrong about something, I have no problem being told I am wrong.

If you ever do venture into the Corvette Forum, be careful, you can walk in looking good, and leave limping, and all bloodied up...:laugh:

You can always tell when a newbiw has wandered into OT...the threads can go from 0 posts to 300-400 posts in a couple of hours.:hmm3grin2orange:

I started at the corvette Forum back in 03, had no knowledge of 4 gen Corvettes (1984-1996) and now, I can troubleshoot just about anything.

Its no different here only we cut you up with a saw. LOL.

stihlatit said:
Red to assume is to make an ass-u-me.

In this forum we have;

Loggers
Arborists
Lawn & garden Maintenance
Homeowners with saws
Saw Dealers
Saw Technicians
We also have kids with saws 22 years and under.

After laying that out where do you think you fit in to the scheme of things. I have read some of your posts as well over the last couple of days and I have to say use search, listen to what is being said, figure out where you want to end up when your 60.

I am not trying to quell you but merely tell you that there is a wealth of knowledge in the people that live here. They are kind enough to share their years of experience for those that need it. Take advantage of that and you will learn well. Abuse it and you will sour your reputation fast.

Just friendly advise from an old guy.

Well, Im under 22, I live in a home and own a Saw, and I work on saws as part of my Job, and I maintain my lawn and Garden.

Only thing Im not is a Dealer, Logger and Arborist.

And I will be a Dealer one day, hopefully soon.

stihlatit said:
Its no different here only we cut you up with a saw. LOL.

And the Saw of choice is a stihl right? At least it will be a fast clean cut...:jester:

RED-85-Z51 said:
Well, Im under 22, I live in a home and own a Saw, and I work on saws as part of my Job, and I maintain my lawn and Garden.

Just fix saw's out of your garage, it's a lot more fun.

RED-85-Z51 said:

Yep a mechanic fresh out of school about to embark on a adventure in the real world. He will forget a lot of his paper knowledge and become a seasoned mechanic in the real world. There are many tricks ahead of you that must learn. You will aquire people skills as well. Some of that has to come natural. All I am trying to get across to you is the word experience. Every dealing you have with a saw/engine and every person that you deal with will add to that bank.
:)

Back