It wasn't an 085

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
With all the models that were and are made by stihl I don't even know if an 085 exists but I thought that was what I was seeing in an old saw I went to check out today, it wasn't the case it's a 08S. I never knew there was a model with that huge of a powerhead with just 08 as a model #.

I know nothing about this model but it was a one owner saw and I wound up buying it anyway since I made the trip. I tried to see if I overpaid by checking fleebay's completed listings and came up with nothing, so I'm wondering what an 08S good running saw with 20" B/C is worth, anyone know? Chainbrake needs to be looked at.

It came with two extra chains, one brand new in box and one sharpened. All three chains are stihl yellow link 20" .063 When I started it cold it fired right up at second pull and idled great. I made a cut with it and although the chain on it was dull as ---- it made the cut and never died down.

I just looked for specs on this saw and it seems to be 56cc's. I don't need another saw in this range so it's going to fleebay after I clean it up some, to be my first saw ever to be sold there. I already have the 029, 361, 390 too close together in power and don't need this one. I really thought I was getting a super killer deal on a 085, which doesn't even exist, owner didn't even know the model of it just said he paid over $500 for it new.

I turned it into an extra $50 bucks. It cleaned up really nice when I was done and had a buyer a few hours later. Sold it with the brand new yellow stihl chain still in box another stihl chain used in box and a fairly new yellow stihl chain on 20" bar. So three 20" 3/8 .063 chains with saw for $150. I just didn't feel like going through boxing it and shipping so it went local. But I do wonder what it would bring on fleebay.

Thanks to all with the good advice about this mistake of mine.

BTW, there was nothing wrong with the chainbrake. I'm just used to the newer models where it activates much faster and easier. This 08S has to be pushed pretty far forward. I guess it needs to go forward that much to get the bar cover handlebar combo to slide off saw.

Last edited:
The 08S is a model from the 1960s, that still is made in Brazil for some odd reason. The saw was too heavy for its power when introduced, and surely is worse in that regard by now! ;)

Just did a quick search on fleebay and came up with two listings. One is brand new and is over $500 in bids. The other is an even older model then the one I had, no chainbrake, but has no bids on the set starting price. I guess not many of this model out there circulating.

The 56cc 029 super is much more comfortable to handle than the 56cc 08S, but my 029 is probably also going to a new home Saturday.

Last edited:
Back