It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
these pics are from an early 70's Stihl calendar . WEST COAST LOGGERS.
I quess around 69-71. date page was gone.

90cttin.jpg

90stumptop.jpg

90show.jpg

075.jpg

be302.jpg

be30.jpg

truxx.jpg

90stump.jpg

man thats awesome

Remember being a kid and watching the big Warehauser off road trucks runnin along their roads next to high way 410 always got a thrill seeing those giant logs and loads those were the days.

Same thing here except I was watching them run down Big River road from Grassy and Laurel mountains above Cottage Grove lake down to Woodward Lumber. Some of the mule trains had four or five wagons on.

WOW great pics!!!
My dad was born in '26: watching Luftwaffe bombers at near eye level from his bedroom window heading to London...but a chainsaw engineer he became..starting the fire in me...

Last edited:
They were still using those shovels here in the 1980s, and the guys running them were experts. I wish I'd packed a camera around then.

I worked for Simpson Timber out of shelton in 74-75. I ran a bunch of those heel boom-grapple shovels. They only had a couple hydrulics out of 9 sides they ran. I mainly ran grapple skidder but because I could run the cable rigs I would replace guys on vacation.

Spent about a month running a Washington Trackloader. We did the smaller HIGH LEAD jobs that did not need a tower with the Trackloader. We could also drop the riggin and hang a tong and load out logs.

one guy on the ground to set the tongs and the second loader who stood on the truck cab perch would run down the log and shuck the tong.

here is a 1950 pic of the same machine I ran.

1950watracloader.jpg

Yes, I don't remember seeing that machine, I think maybe Linkbelts? might have been more popular around here. I only know they were usually red.

Here's a modern landing. On one, they were having to work logs through the guylines.

attachment.php

PNW Loggers

According to the song, you're not a real logger unless you stir your coffee with your thumb... nice pics!

Remember being a kid and watching the big Warehauser off road trucks runnin along their roads next to high way 410 always got a thrill seeing those giant logs and loads those were the days.

Hey Brian... remember Painter Logging? Painter had some of the coolest paint schemes on their trucks... They used to come bombin' into Orting with full loads past the L&M tavern and hit the jake right before the turn in to town... We were about a block away from there... the jake used to rattle the windows.

I also remember when I was a little fart that the loggin' trains would come out of the mountains headed to Commencement Bay in Tacoma, and the port of Olympia. I remeber the loads of logs on those cars bein' only 1, 2, and 3 log loads.... BIG oldgrowth timber.

Gary

Hey Brian... remember Painter Logging? Painter had some of the coolest paint schemes on their trucks... They used to come bombin' into Orting with full loads past the L&M tavern and hit the jake right before the turn in to town... We were about a block away from there... the jake used to rattle the windows.

I also remember when I was a little fart that the loggin' trains would come out of the mountains headed to Commencement Bay in Tacoma, and the port of Olympia. I remeber the loads of logs on those cars bein' only 1, 2, and 3 log loads.... BIG oldgrowth timber.

Gary
Wow are we gettin old were sayin those were the days. Quite a change from the days of all sorts of log truck paint schemes, now in Enumclaw Buckly area it all Kovash logging and a smattering of independents.

Kovash has nearly taken over. Rawson Logging are my buddies from back when. Barry Rawson is the owner of the "Binford" hot saw. I think Barry and his old man might only have 2 trucks now... They used to have 6.

Barry's old man Gene runs a shovel. That guy can psnag a toothpick out of your teeth with that grapple. :)

Gary

part of the old sultan saw shop. riggin the spar tree painting.

titanjand795013.jpg

titanjand795009.jpg

logging show in sultan.

sultanlogshow23.jpg

first street in snohomish parade.
snohomishlogtrucks.jpg

near port angeles
4hplogtruck.jpg

this pic is around 1978. this is the era of the spotted owl and the moves of the tree huggers bringing the timber industry to the end of its hey day.

saw looks like the 042.
sawtoyz3002.jpg

'bones... great pics mang!

Ya know... I'm sure I talked to you on the phone last year when I had a C51 for sale on craigslist... :) You called me about the saw, and we ended up BS'ing for about an hour. :)

Gary

part of the old sultan saw shop. riggin the spar tree painting.
Back in the late 90s That was my saw shop. Thats when I switched to square ground because of them. spent hours talkin to the guy that owned that shop he was a great guy. Hauled countless loads of shingle and shake bolts to the Cedar mill next door that i heard burned down since. And saw bones great pics.

Last edited:
this pic is around 1978. this is the era of the spotted owl and the moves of the tree huggers bringing the timber industry to the end of its hey day.

saw looks like the 042.
sawtoyz3002.jpg
I was in high school forestry class wanting to be a logger back then right as the crash started. Our forestry class was more of a logging prep class than a well balanced forestry class. We spent more time running saws than anything.

Back in the late 90s That was my saw shop. Thats when I switched to square groundbecause of them. spent hours talkin to the guy that owned that shop he was a great guy. Hauled countless loads of shingle and shake bolts to the Cedar mill next door that i heard burned down since. And saw bones great pics.

Sam Wold was a legend in these parts. I have some of his collection now.

Sam died in april 06. shop closed about 4 months later. I bought the inventory and lots of Sam's cool stuff.

This last august I did my first major vintage chainsaw display at the tractor show in Monroe and took some of Sam's stuff to display.
Lots of great conversations about that big guy at the saw shop. Every body knew him around here.

After the original shake mill burned Gary moved the band saw into that shed with the painting on it. Garys new shake-shingle shop is now 1/4 mile east of old shop.

The guy that bought the saw shop property had some good plans for a shopping mall and is planning on including some space for me to set up small museum.

his plans looked great but with the economy the way it is its hard to say now if or when this will happen. ric.

'bones... great pics mang!

Ya know... I'm sure I talked to you on the phone last year when I had a C51 for sale on craigslist... :) You called me about the saw, and we ended up BS'ing for about an hour. :
Gary

ok Gary,, now I remember, you were asking me all kinds of question about how to mix fuel and what bar oil I was using. good to reconnect. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back in the late 90s That was my saw shop. Thats when I switched to square ground because of them. spent hours talkin to the guy that owned that shop he was a great guy. Hauled countless loads of shingle and shake bolts to the Cedar mill next door that i heard burned down since. And saw bones great pics.

Small world gets smaller again. I was down your way last year when I dropped off this IH Hough PAYLOGGER S7 skidder I sold. it might still be sitting near buckley. the guy was on the hiway right before a wide spot with a convenience store-gas station on the left heading in to town.

skiddertime004.jpg

I sold my PayLogger right after I found this Garrett tree Farmer. Mine is from around 60-61 I think. I think Dwight Garrett built these from surplus WW2 truck parts.

12-5mac008.jpg

I Drove through Enumclaw trying to find the Garrett shop but it was a saturday and they were closed any way.

They did send me a couple of original brochures for the first tree farmers.
these date 1959 to 62.
olsaw032.jpg

On another trip to buckley I was picking up some vintage saws and meet a lady that had worked with Garrett From 1947 and up. I guess he had been building all kinds of contraptions in his little factory.

Dont you guys have a museum down there too?

Buckley has one next to the Dels farm supply block over from 410. Aiways good to make acquaintance with another PNW er. You out near where the firewood king is/was. I think thats what they called him he supplied Alder for the Ivers restaurants if I remember right.

Latest posts

Back