It's a Pacific Northwest thing... you wouldn't understand!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Gary, what a stud you are. Is this the picture you were telling me you posted on PNWstud.com? :laugh:

The caption reads, "yeah ladies, that's right....it is a long bar!"

attachment.php

Not huge by any means, but a treat to just "find" out grouse hunting one day. The kinda tree you just like to sit and stare at. This was in a smaller stand or equally gorgeous fir and WRC down in a creek bed back on state ground.

It'd be a blast to fall, but I'd not feel worthy to fall a beaut' like that.

attachment.php

SATAN DOG!! SATAN DOG!!!

just found this old photo, Douglas fir from Oregon:

22fir.jpg

Classic British Columbia logging truck:

logtruck.jpg

Wow Gary, what a stud you are. Is this the picture you were telling me you posted on PNWstud.com? :laugh:

The caption reads, "yeah ladies, that's right....it is a long bar!"

That's the 361 with a 25" bar mang! The 044 wears a 28"er, and has some 660 dawgs on it you might recognize. I guess I will have to finally take a picture of it soon.

Gary

The 044 wears a 28"er, and has some 660 dawgs on it you might recognize. I guess I will have to finally take a picture of it soon.

Gary

I'll bet it looks alot like this but with 660 dawgs on it. :D

attachment.php

What kind of grouse are you guys hunting in timber like that?

Spruce and blue mainly. Typically, you'll find them in thicker underbrush, and younger, smaller stands, and not so much old growth, but in a day of walking, you go through stuff like this.

Here's a spruce I shot with a bow on a moose hunt several years ago.

attachment.php

Nice lookin' grouse Jeff! The last time I went grouse hunting was with my Ol' man up on the Peninsula a few years back. It was just natural to see at least one or two while walking through the forest. Grouse are really stupid birds! I have seen them standing on the side of the logging roads while driving by, no movement. I have read that these birds use "gravel" to help digest their food. I always have fun blasting them with a 410 scatter gun. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for a place to hang my hat Gass-o-lean

bwalker: What kind of grouse are you guys hunting in timber like that?

attachment.php

==========================================================
I think he's talking about this grouse ladder

Hey, I live in Victora British Columbia. Lots of big wood around here, still lots of old growth around. The biggest Fir I ve cut so far is 40" dia, I ve also done up a 30"dia Oak. Here is my lineup hope the pics work, first time trying to post pics.

Husky 394xp has a 33" bar, and a Full wrap handle bar.

Husky 345-e has a 18" bar.

Splitter is a 5hp honda, 20ton.

Spruce and blue mainly. Typically, you'll find them in thicker underbrush, and younger, smaller stands, and not so much old growth, but in a day of walking, you go through stuff like this.

Here's a spruce I shot with a bow on a moose hunt several years ago.
I am used to hunting ruffed grouse in thick nasty cover like regenerated aspen cuts, etc. never seen any birds in a climax forest like that. We have spruce grouse all over the place where I work in Canada. I dont have the heart to hunt them though as they semi tame. Spruce grouse just dont flush like a rough grouse do.

Grouse and turkeys...

We have blue and ruffed grouse around here. I see them a lot when I am out with my girlfriend off-roading. Also a lot of turkeys. I was watching a hunting show last fall with all these guys way out in the sticks hiding in blinds and camo gear making turkey calls waiting for some turkeys to come along to shoot. I looked out my livingroom window and there were 4 tom turkeys lined up looking in the window at us on the couch. I mean, all I would have to do is open the window and shoot. No sport in that... gobs of wild turkeys always wandering around here.

I am used to hunting ruffed grouse in thick nasty cover like regenerated aspen cuts, etc. never seen any birds in a climax forest like that. We have spruce grouse all over the place where I work in Canada. I dont have the heart to hunt them though as they semi tame. Spruce grouse just dont flush like a rough grouse do.

Like I said, you'll find them in thicker, younger cover. That day just took me through the older stand as we got lower into the valley. I'd not call spruce grouse tame, they just hold really well. So well, I was able to shoot that one with a bow. To just walk through the woods and see one standing in the road and shoot it at 15' is pretty weak, but with a good dog to flush them out ahead of you, they're as sporting as any other upland bird. And they're good for my dog, as this was his first year, and it was nice to have birds hold well and not flush or run way ahead of him.

This is more a common grouse setting, and was the same day as the old growth picture.

I didn't embed the first pic for the dial-up guys, and it was another page stretcher.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back