It's Begun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to a Stihl rep about this....... Two reasons this is being done 1. The Virginia Beach facility is maxed out on space and production so hedge trimmer production needed to be moved somewhere. 2. China has no emmissions regulations and China is about to become the leading consumer of hedge trimmers in the world, so they moved production to where it would be most effective. This is however a facility operated BY Stihl and not FOR Stihl, so in theory if closely monitored the quality SHOULD be what we would expect from the VA Beach facility

"Don't worry, It's only for this model". They certainly keep it a secert.

Last edited:
Only this model for now. Their doing it cause they ran out of room??? Dont' believe that, why don't they build another plant in their hometown. Its because it's cheap labour, so to turn more of a profit. You get cheap labour, the quality will suffer, don't think it wont.

Talked to a Stihl rep about this....... Two reasons this is being done 1. The Virginia Beach facility is maxed out on space and production so hedge trimmer production needed to be moved somewhere. 2. China has no emmissions regulations and China is about to become the leading consumer of hedge trimmers in the world, so they moved production to where it would be most effective. This is however a facility operated BY Stihl and not FOR Stihl, so in theory if closely monitored the quality SHOULD be what we would expect from the VA Beach facility

So building a factory, dealing with the Chineese Govt., hiring and training a bunch of Chineese dudes, setting up an assembly line for ONE product line, and establishing supplier and wholesaler networks and advertising programs for ONE product line is cost effective business practice.....

Instead of adding one assembly line in VB and expanding the network to china? It ain't like cheap labor is hard to find in the U.S. and all those Wal-mart cargo ships gotta carry something back to China.

Nope. I ain't buying it.

On the bright side, the Stihl Homeowner line at Wal-Mart will be better than the wildthingys.At least at first.

That reminds me.
Gotta start saving for that Non-China 260.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Actually, Stihl has a manufacturing facility in Taicang City that makes a full line of blowers, saws, brush cutters, and hedge trimmers. The facility has been there for years and all of their product lines are aimed at Asian markets only.

Last edited:
LO,L and I hear guys making comments about Husky selling their products in the big box stores, yet Stihl is actually making products in China!!!! :buttkick:

Bwwwwahhhhaaahhaaaaaaa!!!! :looser:

Might as well buy echo now then. I stayed away from echo products due to this very fact, but if stihl is mfg in japan I might as well save a few bucks from here on out and go with echos lawn equipment.

Chinese, Japanese look at these!

From a quality standpoint; I would rather have a Japanese product than a chinese product.

Besides ninjas are way cooler that kung fu masters anyway...

While sad to see see units made in Asia bing sold outside of Asia, they must meet Stihls quality standards set for all manufacturing plants. I seem to recall the only facility to meet those standards from start up was in Sweden.

As for the US plant having outgrown it's ability to produce. I'm sure there is more to that story. Perhaps including the growing Asian market and they felt a need to establish a foot hold there.

If those products meet my and our customers QC expectations, great, if not there is a simple solution to the issue. Don't buy/sell the product.

Stihl recently announced employee cutbacks to due falling product demand. An excuse that the VB plant is maxed out makes no sense.

Lets face the facts folks...Any company that is spending 40% of their money on labor can no longer compete in the US market. They have two choices, move over seas where the labor is cheaper or close their doors. Unless Umama does something to stop these companies from moving out of the US, your gonna find that all of these big companies move production to China, Mexico etc....

The FS45 is also being made in China... you'll find Stihl gearing up China for all the old consumer non-2010 epa complient stuff for non-Japan Asia sales. That equipment can't be imported into the USA and EU after this year anyhow. Want to bet they transfered the tooling and production line equipment?

Stihl and Husky doing this puts huge pressure on anyone else.. that is.. if anyone else is left to compete after this depression (opps, I mean recession).

I had a look at the HS45 - apart from the sticker "China" and the serial number', it's impossible to tell the difference. I aso suspect it's mainly "assembled" in China.. most of the parts made elsewhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back