I've got the toys, where can I get the training?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bharen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a piece of residential property that the previous owner allowed to become badly overgrown. Way too much yellow pine and sweetgum. I hired a tree removal company to get out the big stuff and the trees that posed a hazard to the structures, but I still have lots of small - medium sized ones (from saplings to trees with 8" trunks) that need to come down. Most of these trees can be safely felled without risk to structures or other trees I want to preserve, so I figured I'd try to do the work myself. Buying the chainsaw is the easy part. Where can I go for proper training in how to bring down these trees, then safely limb and buck them once they are down? I'm looking forward to the challenge of bringing them down, but I want to do it properly and safely! Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

John,

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand the liability issue (though I'm still trying to figure out the 'moral' issue :)). I just want to make sure I do it as safely as possible while having a little 'man fun' (as Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor would say). Like I said, the big and dangerous stuff was taken out by pros, the small stuff is just not worth the removal cost to me if I can safely and properly get it out myself. I work as an environmental engineer and safety officer for the Army, so I'm at least aware of the need to put safety first.

A coworker had mentioned that chainsaw use courses were occasionally offered by local colleges and USDA offices as continuing education classes, and I was hoping to get a line on one of those. I'll certainly order a copy of Doug Dent's book, and thanks for you assistance.

I have cut about 30 scotch and red pines in our yard with trunks from 6-12" and 30-50' tall over the past 5 years with a $100 maccolough 16" chainsaw and a 50 ft rope with a rock tied to the end of it. The only training I had was reading the book that came with the chainsaw, and haven't had any really major problems. Just make sure you plan everything out throughly and make sure you have a clear safe path out should something go wrong - and believe me, things WILL go wrong, but that's how you learn. I've gone through 5 chains but recently started sharpening them with these things: http://www.eze-lap.com/product/chainsaw.htm and have had great results. Good luck.

thanks for the heads up on the logging book JPS, I am a newbie at saw work too and I ordered it just now so as to learn the tricks.

Watch out for with those stone Dremel heads. The will loose there shape and not grind the cutter true.

Files are best, if you can finde a steel burr it is the only way to go grinding with a drill to get a consistant cut.

Back