Jalapeno poppers in the OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just when I thought I was the only wacko who cooks in his OWB, someone else comes along and posts about it. :dizzy:

Night before last, I had the inlaws over for dinner. Wife insisted on grilling some burgers and steaks and all we have right now is a little tiny mini Weber kettle and a foot of snow. So I thought I'd get a jump on the charcoal and go shovel coals out of the OWB into the Weber. Well, that worked good for the steaks but there was no room for the burgers. So I have a section of expanded metal grate that my Scouts use to cook over campfires, I just treated it as a big campfire-in-a-box and propped the grid up on a couple of logs and put the burgers on. I had to leave the door open as there was no demand on the system, but that was OK.

Next time I'll probably just do "hobo meals", which is basically meat, veggies and spices in aluminum foil. Force a demand on the system and then toss 'em in for a half-hour.

Sorry, no pictures. My father-in-law was fascinated and spent the whole time out there watching them cook. :popcorn:

When I was growing up, we used to wrap chicken breasts in 2-3 layers of foil & throw them in the wood furnace in the basement. I've thought about doing it now with my OWB.

I may have to try something tonight. In the summer we will take a whole chicken stuffed full of peppers or whatever. Wrap him in several layers of foil and set it on a grate over an open fire. I'm thinkin Hickory wood in the boiler. Turn up the water temp, fill it heavy till I have a huge bed of coals, toss in a 2" cement block to keep it off the coals. Turn the water temp back down and set the bird in there. should take about 3 hours I'm guessin to cook.

Probably have some burgers ready for the gas grill just in case.:)

Ok,I seen this thread,and just had to cook something,so I just did some baked potatoes for now with the kids today,they loved them,we were pulling wood out of the woods,and couldnt get to them for almost 2 hours.They came out great,better than i have ever had out of the oven.We double wrapped them,and set them on a large chuck .Thanks for the idea! The kids want to try something else now.

Ok,I seen this thread,and just had to cook something,so I just did some baked potatoes for now with the kids today,they loved them,we were pulling wood out of the woods,and couldnt get to them for almost 2 hours.They came out great,better than i have ever had out of the oven.We double wrapped them,and set them on a large chuck .Thanks for the idea! The kids want to try something else now.

.:yourock:You just got to love these boilers. Maybe I should toss out the gas stove and tell the wife to do the cooking outside

.:yourock:You just got to love these boilers. Maybe I should toss out the gas stove and tell the wife to do the cooking outside

My bet is if you did that, you would be hugging the OWB a lot tighter at night especially!!!:cry: I don't even know your wife, but that sounds about right all the way around!!!!

:hmm3grin2orange:

My bet is if you did that, you would be hugging the OWB a lot tighter at night especially!!!:cry: I don't even know your wife, but that sounds about right all the way around!!!!

:hmm3grin2orange:

Great job w/ the taters!
I dare ya Wolf...gotta feelin the stove won't be the only thing gettin thrown out!

You guys are right. The OWB is nice but not that nice.

I cant believe I have never thought of cooking in the OWB. Great idea. I'll be throwing something in there tonight for sure.

I know this has been mentioned before but we need a as cook book recipe thinging. As most of us have wild game recipe's and like to eat, you burn allot of calories cutting wood!I am sure it would be filled from Gourmet meals to cooking a can of chilli or beans in the can on a open fire.
I do the in the can thing in winter with Campbell's chilli, just putting the can that has been cracked open in some hot coals from a very small camp fire.

I know this has been mentioned before but we need a as cook book recipe thinging. As most of us have wild game recipe's and like to eat, you burn allot of calories cutting wood!I am sure it would be filled from Gourmet meals to cooking a can of chilli or beans in the can on a open fire.
I do the in the can thing in winter with Campbell's chilli, just putting the can that has been cracked open in some hot coals from a very small camp fire.

There is already a thread going......although not for OWB specific only.....

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=50255

Here goes:
split jalapeno's (take out seeds and veins/white stuff)
saute in skillet: red onion, 1 fresh mushroom, couple cloves of garlic, some red pepper (dice everything prior to sauteing)
mix sauted veggies w/ 8 oz of cream cheese, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
fill jalapeno halves w/ cream cheese mixture
put the jalapeno's back together and wrap w/ bacon
wrap w/ tin foil
bake in OWB for about an hour or so
in absence of OWB feel free to utilize grill or oven.
You'll probably have enough cream cheese mixture to fill about 12-16 good sized jalapeno's.
Enjoy!

That sounds like an awesome recipe, when I saw the bacon I knew it had to be good! Kinda like scallops wrapped in bacon but spicier! Sounds like a good summertime on an open fire recipe too.

That sounds like an awesome recipe, when I saw the bacon I knew it had to be good! Kinda like scallops wrapped in bacon but spicier! Sounds like a good summertime on an open fire recipe too.

Oh yeah!! The bacon got my attention too!

Cooking with OWB

Thought about doing the same thing! Now I'm going to do it. Keep this thread going please! Recipes don’t hurt either.

Cool cooking.

You should try chile rellenos with your recipe. Add an egg batter too. Damn mouth watering man.

A killer side dish would be mashed potato fried tacos with diced cabbage...however, not sure how you'll fry them.

I just finished a plate of poppers per Bowtechmadman's recipe, except cooked 'em in the toaster oven for half hour at 350* wrapped in foil, then broiled it for another 10 minutes unwrapped to cook the bacon the rest of the way........oh...my....goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were so good, that if they weren't so spicy I'd have eaten 'till I burst!!!

Next time, I'm gonna use bell peppers or similar, with a bit less spice!

After cooking the baked potatoes a few weeks back,my girlfriend suprised us today with a box of frozen Jalapano poppers.I know there not homemade,but I gotta say they were great! a little over an hour in the OWB,about 1/2 that time it was idling,double wrapped ,they tasted awesome for frozen.I put them all in one wrapper,and threw them on top of a good sized locust round with a rotted center. 2nd pic is when they went in,3rd is when they came out.

Latest posts

Back