jetting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a ms260 last week, I run a 346xp for my real job. I must say that I'm partial to stihl, but this saw doesn't impress me. power and weight are comparable to the 346 on the books, but in the wood the 26 just doesn't seem to hang. I know that my saw isn't broke in yet only 4 tanks now, but there must be something wrong when the dealer tells you " it's lean and after you break it in bring it back to have a high speed jet put in it if you aren't happy with it." the husky is running 325 on an 18" with my 260 3/8 on 18". Should I let the saw break in like this or just do the high speed jet now, or would an adjustable carb be better still?

AT 7000 ft I doubt that it is running lean on a standard fixed jet. Where in Az are you? I used to live in Show Low.

man, some people could break an anvil.
or in this case,some companies.
to be fair,i guess we got the epa to thank .

simple jet and inlet lever adjust will cure it.
For the umpteenth time, no it will not. At least not for long. The fixed jet concept has no tunebility from day to day and often the steps in jets are too much. A example would be a 54 being too lean and a 56 being too rich. Just fess up and admit the saw stinks as delivered from stihl.

Hey Stumper, I used to go to Bill's Bar in Show Low fairly often when I lived in Springerville.  That was about a couple of decades ago.

Glen

Heh glens, I used to drive past Bill's bar a decade ago. worked in Springerville occassionally. Fished Becker lake a few times.:)

People should realize that spec sheets do not determine which saws perform the best or handle the best. You just must try them.

Also, there are sleepers that people don't discuss every day. My personal favorite is the 956 Efco / John Deere CS56 (same saw) I don't base that opinion on spec sheets, but experience and side by side comparisons.

Re: 26

Originally posted by stihltech
simple jet and inlet lever adjust will cure it.

Stihltech: You have a hard position to defend. How can a fixed mixture be anything but a compromise when operating conditions, temperature, fuel, altitude etc. are subject to change. No question it can be trial and error jetted to operate correctly for a specific situation and state of wear, but that lacks the flexibility a saw should have.
I am curious to know why you think this setup should be acceptable.

Frank

While I`m no fan of the fixed jet carb I think I understand what Stihltech is saying. These carbs are very sensitive to inlet lever height variations and many saws that won`t run acceptably can be made to work in an average sort of way if the inlet lever is fine tuned. I was first clued into this by Stihltech and have since proven this through my own experience. In no way does this make the fixed jet carb as versatile or optimally tunable as an ordinary three screw carb but it is workable. I don`t see any point in trying to make Stihltech say that he agrees that fixed jets suck, we know he does, and we need to move on.

Russ

Latest posts

Back